Author Topic: Piranhas sighted in Plakias Bay!  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Piranhas sighted in Plakias Bay!
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
No, not really...but is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the fish in the sea have acquired an increasing taste for human flesh?  Time was when you could stay in the water as long as you liked unmolested.  Then, early in the morning you might get a nip.  Now you can get bitten if you go in in the early afternoon.  The fish seem to have lost all fear of us; I've seen a group make a bee-line for my legs the moment I plant them on the sea bed.  And they swim up inquisitively when I'm snorkelling.  Now where did I put that spear gun...       

Νούψη
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Piranhas sighted in Plakias Bay!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:28 PM »
Last time we were there, 2011, the blighters were nipping voraciously. I found that treading water, rather then standing on the sand, kept them at bay.

One afternoon at the far end we heard a shriek and a young lady ran out of the water and cried out "a fish just bit my boob". :o

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »
We were bitten several times and my far end felt very vulnerable.

I suppose I had eaten a lot of their family during the fortnight - "The Atherina Strike Back" ?

Arnaki

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »
I experienced this in Scala Cephalonia a few years ago and it was the fish pulling at leg hairs. Not very pleasant. I doubt that the small fish people are describing would have big enough jaws to grab a piece of leg (but I could be wrong).

Mike

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
When they were nipping my wife, they were not after leg hair! I think they just scrape off a little skin, not damaging, but somewhat disconcerting.

The worst we have experienced this was at Comino Island between Malta and Gozo.