login

Author Topic: Fresh Bread...?  (Read 6508 times)

Offline bwian

• View Profile
Fresh Bread...?
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »
Is the bakery (the one opposite Ostraco) open again this year? Last year when we were there it was closed 'for refurbishment' - and we missed our fresh bread each morning!

Is it back in business...?

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fresh Bread...?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
Don't know about that one but the bakery at the other end of town next to Maria the butcher was refurbished last year and is open now.

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »
Is the bakery (the one opposite Ostraco) open again this year? Last year when we were there it was closed 'for refurbishment' - and we missed our fresh bread each morning!

Is it back in business...?
No it has been tarted up and reopened as a sandwich and drinks take away/ice cream parlour. I think it is owned by Ostraco. Seems out of place in Plakias and a friend who tried the ice cream said it wasn't great. However if you walk 20 yards east there is the lovely lady who makes those wonderful cakes and sells fresh bread, etc.

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
It opened whilst we were there earlier this week! We had an ice cream and it was fine by me (pistachio). However the filled baguettes are great for taking down the beach - I thought they were better than the ones by the cocktail bar/forum(?) just over the bridge - but that's my opinion only.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Haven't tried the new place but we miss, in particular, the pastries from the old bakery. Always took some for the trip home.

Not the only new touch that looks a little out of place in Plakias, to me at least. Medusa has also become a little 'trendier', as has Siroco (OK, it's all relative!). We have had lovely meals at both, in their new incarnations, and the staff were absolutely great, but... They seem to have lost a little of the Taverna feel. Time moves on, I suppose.

Richard

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 06:28:12 PM »
Oh dear ... that's a pity.

Is Bar Platia still going..?

B

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »
'Sort-of'. There is a small area of the original Platia bar to the front and right-hand side, as you face it, that is still the Platia bar, as far as I can see. The left-hand side looks like a clothes shop, of some sort.

I used to like the place a lot, but in recent years I thought that it started to try to be something that it wasn't. Seems to be a trend developing? (See similar comments re Medusa and Siroco elsewhere on this forum.) Is it what people want? Not for me, but I suppose that time will tell. Perhaps I am just getting old and grumpy!

Richard

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
Haven't tried the new place but we miss, in particular, the pastries from the old bakery. Always took some for the trip home.

Not the only new touch that looks a little out of place in Plakias, to me at least. Medusa has also become a little 'trendier', as has Siroco (OK, it's all relative!). We have had lovely meals at both, in their new incarnations, and the staff were absolutely great, but... They seem to have lost a little of the Taverna feel. Time moves on, I suppose.

Richard
Totally agree. Must be old and grumpy too!

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 02:42:57 PM »
'Sort-of'. There is a small area of the original Platia bar to the front and right-hand side, as you face it, that is still the Platia bar, as far as I can see. The left-hand side looks like a clothes shop, of some sort.

I used to like the place a lot, but in recent years I thought that it started to try to be something that it wasn't. Seems to be a trend developing? (See similar comments re Medusa and Siroco elsewhere on this forum.) Is it what people want? Not for me, but I suppose that time will tell. Perhaps I am just getting old and grumpy!

Richard

Oh dear.... I guess I will have to join the old and grumpy team...

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »
The bakery opposite "Ostraco" was a "bake-off" unit, sourced from the main bakers, on the road out of Plakias, towards Lefkogia. The same bakery now operates the new "pizza from the wood oven" opposite "Sofia Restaurant", and sells the same cakes and bread as previously. The baker said the change was due to bank problems, possibly the same problems that closed the main bakery for part of last year.

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
The bakery opposite "Ostraco" was a "bake-off" unit, sourced from the main bakers, on the road out of Plakias, towards Lefkogia. The same bakery now operates the new "pizza from the wood oven" opposite "Sofia Restaurant", and sells the same cakes and bread as previously. The baker said the change was due to bank problems, possibly the same problems that closed the main bakery for part of last year.

Thanks - that's good to know :-)

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
The new sandwich bar is great for snacks some different things on the menu but you can get the old favourites: cheese and spinach pies.  Also do great crepes.

You can get fresh bread in all the supermarkets delivered daily early in the morning.

Whilst the tavernas may be becoming smarter, the atmosphere has not changed and the same friendly service is being offered.  They may have modernised but you can't expect a country to stand still.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
I'll be back!
Fancy a Mythos?