Author Topic: 2009 season  (Read 35699 times)

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
I have booked a flight to Iraklion on 12th June and I'll be returning home on 23rd June. I'll have to stay in Iraklion one night - considering the Castello City at £39.21 - then I'll go to Matala, then maybe Aghia Galini, and finally Plakias from about the 19th. I'll just arrive and find somewhere to stay. For the moment, the name of the place where I've stayed the last twice escapes me, but it's next to Medoussa. It looks like Alex and Fran will be there but I don't know who they are. It's 2 years since I've been, so I'll be able to see the new developments - Plakia Panorama was a building site when I last saw it.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »
kyriakos ??

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2009, 06:53:37 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
kyriakos ??

That's right. They are run by the lady who is nearest the camera in your photo.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
•   There was only very minimal activity at the new development opposite Paligremnos and what has been built are just shells.
•   A smart looking pavement is being constructed from the bakery out on the road to the east and has currently reached Santa Maria.
•   An airport taxi transfer (I was told) in now 90€.
•   The track beside the Plakias Bay hotel, heading towards Damnoni, has been bulldozed for the first part.
•   Although the £ is well down against the € I was pleasantly surprised to find that of the things I bought in Plakias, almost without exception they were the same price as a year earlier in € terms.
•   Teacher's whisky is 15€ a litre airside at Heraklion airport (and that was the UK strength of 40% ABV rather than export strength of 43% ABV). Not too many UK buyers!
•   The Olympic rep. is called Alexander Innes.
•   There is a new “Doughnut Man”. He has some of the same patter at Lefteris but makes it sound much less interesting.

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
Quote from: Mike G

We paid for each transfer 85 Euros and we were very satisfied with the service. He was very reliable and he drove very certainly.
Within 90 minutes we arrived in Plakias and in Heraklion.

Kerstin

Offline bwian

• View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
•   There was only very minimal activity at the new development opposite Paligremnos and what has been built are just shells.
•   A smart looking pavement is being constructed from the bakery out on the road to the east and has currently reached Santa Maria.
•   The track beside the Plakias Bay hotel, heading towards Damnoni, has been bulldozed for the first part.
•   Although the £ is well down against the € I was pleasantly surprised to find that of the things I bought in Plakias, almost without exception they were the same price as a year earlier in € terms.
•   Teacher's whisky is 15€ a litre airside at Heraklion airport (and that was the UK strength of 40% ABV rather than export strength of 43% ABV). Not too many UK buyers!
•   The Olympic rep. is called Alexander Innes.
•   There is a new “Doughnut Man”. He has some of the same patter at Lefteris but makes it sound much less interesting.

"The track beside the Plakias Bay hotel, heading towards Damnoni, has been bulldozed for the first part. "

Does that make it impassable? We use that route quite a lot when we're there....

Bwian

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »
Quote from: bwian
"The track beside the Plakias Bay hotel, heading towards Damnoni, has been bulldozed for the first part. "

Does that make it impassable? We use that route quite a lot when we're there....

Bwian
Actually it makes it easier. I only went down it to Damnoni etc but there was also an initially bulldozed track leading off it towards the hilltop above the far end.

Mike

Offline bwian

• View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
Quote from: bwian

Bwian
Actually it makes it easier. I only went down it to Damnoni etc but there was also an initially bulldozed track leading off it towards the hilltop above the far end.

Mike

Cool - thanks Mike! We usually hire a car to get us to Plakias (dropping it off at Happimag - that walk through the olive grove back to Plakias is a favourite part of our first day )

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »
Quote from: Kerstin

We paid for each transfer 85 Euros and we were very satisfied with the service. He was very reliable and he drove very certainly.
Within 90 minutes we arrived in Plakias and in Heraklion.

Kerstin

Have arrived back from a fabulous 2 weeks in Plakias. Weather fantastic and a big wind on only one day.
Highlight for me was meeting fellow Forum members who are all great people.
Our transfer from Heraklion on 26th May was the transfer from hell. I was convinced we were going to Plakias via Libya . It took just under four hours. I was already exhausted from a previous nights drive from North Devon to Gatwick so that transfer dulled the enjoyment usually experienced when arriving in Plakias.
It cannot be beyond Olympic to try and improve this state of affairs. It has long been a bone of contention , I know.

HOWEVER ! Luggage dropped off and a quick shower saw me meeting friends and all transfer horrors soon left me.
The new developments are continuing slowly but surely and are gradually creeping along the beach road. Not too much noise at all from the construction site,though.

I too found that prices have only changed marginally but the rotten exchange rate did make it's mark somewhat. Fingers crossed for a better rate next year.

Chilled for the 2 weeks and back home again after confronting the M25 , M4 and M5 and then the endless drag of the A361. 7 hours.
One big pleasant surprise on arriving home. Due to good weather while I was away all my Peonies have bloomed at once. I have cut as many as I dare and having given loads away to friends , have vases full of them. They are so beautiful.

I will try and attach a pic.
The fragrance of the blooms are going a long way to covering the bad smell that is making it's presence felt.!!!

Regards to everyone,

Heather.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:21:25 PM by travellingran »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
I wish our peonies were half as good. Glad you had a great time. After a few years of going with Olympic and Kosmos, it was the ridiculously long transfers that made us switch to going independent (also, we like staying at Stella's).

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »
Hello Heather,

I left Dora the day you arrived. I would be interested to hear of your opinions compared to mine (see reports I did in the Article System for Dora and a few tavernas).

Two weeks before your transfer from hell (12/5/09, and I suspect from the same Gatwick 9am flight) we were in Plakias in 1 hour 45 mins with a non-stop transfer. Returning on 26/5 it was over 3 hours via Rethymnon and Bali but not as bad as yours. Having said that I agree with you that the memory soon fades as the pleasures of Plakias fill your brain. And you had €180 to spend that would otherwise be in a taxi driver's back pocket! Apparently Olympic contract out the whole of the tranfer process from the airport to Plakias to Monza travel. That doesn't absolve them from the responsibilty but maybe explains their reluctance to address the issue. As with most things it boils down to money I guess.

Only negative to report is that The Troll returned during your absence but most took the advice not to feed him.

Mike

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
Hello Heather,

I left Dora the day you arrived. I would be interested to hear of your opinions compared to mine (see reports I did in the Article System for Dora and a few tavernas).

Two weeks before your transfer from hell (12/5/09, and I suspect from the same Gatwick 9am flight) we were in Plakias in 1 hour 45 mins with a non-stop transfer. Returning on 26/5 it was over 3 hours via Rethymnon and Bali but not as bad as yours. Having said that I agree with you that the memory soon fades as the pleasures of Plakias fill your brain. And you had €180 to spend that would otherwise be in a taxi driver's back pocket! Apparently Olympic contract out the whole of the tranfer process from the airport to Plakias to Monza travel. That doesn't absolve them from the responsibilty but maybe explains their reluctance to address the issue. As with most things it boils down to money I guess.

Only negative to report is that The Troll returned during your absence but most took the advice not to feed him.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I have stayed with Dora on and off for 13 years and although most accommodation has improved with the times , Dora Studios has not. A kettle has appeared in the last 2 years. I  am a single traveller and am getting used to being given crap rooms and broom cupboards and the like and this year was no exception. I was given room 7.
The worst possible room at Dora's , first on the left as you enter up the steps.
The minute Sandy  gave me my room number I asked to change. These are the excuses I was given :- 1) It is full.
2) The allocation is out of our (whose?) hands.
3) It is the luck of the draw. ( No it is not.)
4) Ask the owner next Tuesday.
And more along those petty lines.
Dora was not full. Rooms 8 and 9 were empty for my first week and a single male occupied 9 for one week only.. He left early morning on the same day that I did. He also provided all corridor users with diverting entertainment as he spent most of his time lying on one of the beds , stark naked and with his corridor door wide open. What was that about  ????

My balcony was very, very far from private . One lady accused me of startling her as she had not at first seen me sitting on my balcony and I made her jump. I am not often lost for words but I just drank some more wine and ignored her. She glared at me for the next 10 days.

Towels and sheets are fine at Dora , always have been - but the daily rubbish is not being collected any more and the ouside waste bin just by my balcony was filled quickly as people cottoned on to this. This bin soon began to smell and I bought some air freshener and squirted the bin each day so my balcony was fit to sit out on in the evening. The shower drain in room 7 is at the end of the line at Dora's and stank to high heaven if I closed the door. (Utilised air freshener again)

Shall I go on?. I recall somebody on the forum remarking that 'this is not the 1960's'.
Olympic , their reps., and accommodation owners take note. These things have always been a problem at Dora's so absolutely no improvement there .

As for Monza travel,we are all aware that the British visitors to Plakias are given third class treatment. Monza should never be left unsupervised to just get on with it. They need checking up upon frequently by an impartial third party. The German tour operators do so.

I do not look upon the £180 taxi fare as money in my pocket. I have already paid for my transfer and indeed a single supplement on everything else to Olympic holidays. It does seem to me after all this time that Olympic are taking the mick.

Looked at the Forum  fairly often while away and I had certainly noticed the return of the troll. Maybe my posting re- my Peonies will give you a clue. The last paragraph.

Am now coming up to the time of year to look at booking next years Plakias trip. Olympic have become complacent inasmuch as they are now the only package tour operators group from the UK. So sub-standard customer service and accommodation are of no concern to them. If we don't like it we can lump it. At least myself on a .  
retirement pension and shrinking income just cannot go the independent route that we always did. I now have no choices left.

Incidentally , KC's also treat single females shabbily .I have been palmed off with the cleaning cupboard and the room above it at the top of the stairs over the last few years. That time I threw rather a loud wobbly at the crowded bar and was moved to the kind of good decent room for which I had paid.

I am already wracking my brains as to how I can do Plakias independently next year. I wish to go for 3 weeks but Olympic will not quote me as they say 'we don't know how the room availability will pan out' That kind of newspeak gets up my nose. I am tempted to say sod'em but I wish to holiday in Plakias in the summer. I never ,ever have this trouble booking winter sun breaks as no one operator has the monopoly as Olympic does.

I'm off now to dead head my flowers before I blow a fuse.

Cheers me dears,

Heather
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:48:33 PM by travellingran »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
Quote from: travellingran
I am already wracking my brains as to how I can do Plakias independently next year. I wish to go for 3 weeks but Olympic will not quote me as they say 'we don't know how the room availability will pan out' That kind of newspeak gets up my nose. I am tempted to say sod'em but I wish to holiday in Plakias in the summer. I never ,ever have this trouble booking winter sun breaks as no one operator has the monopoly as Olympic does.

I'm off now to dead head my flowers before I blow a fuse.

Cheers me dears,

Heather

Hi Heather, my recommendation would be to stay at Stella's (friendly and quiet), book with Easyjet (we got a Sunday day flight for £150) and try the Shuttle bus/taxi offered on the Easyjet site which will be significantly cheaper than a taxi (another forum member used it earlier and posted prices).

Good luck!

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
Hello Heather and we're pleased you had some good weather and generaly good time  

Have you considered trying to find a couple of like minded souls and sharing an apartment and the costs. One could still do ones own thing or not, but at least you'd have your own room and at no extra cost, might even be a cheaper way of doing it  

We have a house this year for a week with 6 beds  (only need 3) and would happily share with someone next year if they were like minded souls and we had the same house. At least you have plenty of time to research the option if you think it might be a viable  

Loved the photo of the flowers  

Hello Graeme,  

I am thinking now of all options. I wish to go next year on the last two weeks in May and the First week in June. 3 weeks in all.
 I am already committed ( and have paid) to Tanzania ( Zanzibar ) at the end of this year 2009.( The bulk of this is paid for with air miles I have acquired on long haul.)
This being so then funds are short until end January 2010 although I am able to find deposits etc., earlier.
I really would prefer to fly from Bristol or even Exeter so will try the various operators who use them. After this years odyssey to Gatwick and back my patience has deserted me.
I have been bashing away for days trying to get airline quotes for 2010 but nobody quoting yet for the dates I require.
Olympic has always been the cheapest option for my requirements. If I can find another way near their price then I will opt for that.
I should be able to get quotes from Olympic in two weeks (so they say). That will be the ground set with which I can make my decision.

Meanwhile and off subject some what. I used the computer at Ostraco most days and I must say very impressed with XL. My old thing has got worse and some bug or another is gradually destroying all applications. So. open to all advice.

I am pleased you like my flowers. They are spectacular this year for some reason or another. It is nothing I have done, just favourable weather conditions . A lot of people in this area grow them and my other favourites ,Hydrangeas and sweet peas.The Peonies are now in vases with their stems bashed and in sparkling water. They do tend to stay fresh a long time,thankfully.
 Back to the pic of the flowers, the lens of my camera was still smeared with Ambre Solaire so please don't think I have been super creative with soft focus.!!!

Thanks for all your good ideas,
I will follow them all up.

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
[/quote]

Hi Heather, my recommendation would be to stay at Stella's (friendly and quiet), book with Easyjet (we got a Sunday day flight for £150) and try the Shuttle bus/taxi offered on the Easyjet site which will be significantly cheaper than a taxi (another forum member used it earlier and posted prices).

Good luck!
[/quote]

Go independent, I am in Plakias now and booked a room at Helios app (the best an biggest I had so far " sat tv, internet, ac, cooking and a place to sit and a real table")  for 320 euro 2wks.
Hired a car for 3 days pick up Heraklion and return plakias for 110 euro (beats a cab).

BTW, The wind is back.

Greeting Steven.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:15:55 PM by steven »
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.