Author Topic: Taverna manousos anyone eaten here recently?  (Read 13914 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Taverna manousos anyone eaten here recently?
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
Hello all.
I read good and not so good things about Taverna manousos, has anyone had a meal here this year?

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taverna manousos anyone eaten here recently?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
I've never eaten here because of the bad things I've read about this place.

Νούψη
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »
Read some reports elsewhere for 2012 that people enjoyed eating here. Places and food do change. So was wondering if anyone had eaten here recently. Changes of chef can transform a place.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
Maybe I'll risk it then, and go there one evening.  (It'll reduce the number of restaurants I'll have to double-up on during my 3 week stay.)

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline TonyH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
Just returned from Plakias (yesterday)  We ate at Manousos quite a few times as we did last year. The food etc was excellent, service v good and the wine and raki flowed.  Really good food would recommend to all.

Tony  :) :)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »
If this is the one behind Alianthos Gardens/Beach, near the bakery, the taverna that my wife and I call 'round the back', then we had happy experiences here 2010/11.

The service was a little slow but very, very friendly - perhaps more so than average in Plakias - and the food was certainly up to the standards that I'd expect; reasonably priced, too. The grilled meat was lovely, as were the staff.

The only reason we didn't visit this year was too much choice and too little time. We are quite sentimental about where we eat and we simply didn't discover this place until we'd been visiting Plakias for a number of years.

Richard

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:27:48 AM »
That illustrates a common problem Richard. There are several places that have become favourites, for any number of reasons. 3 or 4 visits to Lysseos are a must, and the same goes for the wonderful taverna in Sellia. Then there's a couple of trips to Kastro, probably just 1 visit to KriKri for a pizza and a night out in Reythimno. So there's not a lot of nights left on a 2 week holiday to take the gamble of trying something new. Having said that, I've got a few on the 'must try' list from other recent Forum postings.
John - Ostraco

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »
Well, we will be back in September, for a little longer than in May (a last minute decision to go with Olympic, that I really regret, see rant elsewhere on this site!).

Perhaps there will be time this time after all. Can't wait either way!

Richard

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 02:55:13 PM »
anyone tried this place during 2014 ? We usually go, but havent so far, think the menu is a bit limited for our 5 year old !

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »
Went in may this year and had a "very acceptable" mixed grill. It was very quite in there and the service was slow but not uncomfortably so. It was quite late in the evening however. I would go again no problem!

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
We always go at least once. It's a lovely place - very charming and always good value.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
Agree completely with charming, there's something about the owner/staff/location that I can't quite put my finger on, but that I like a lot. Maybe they could seem a little more amateurish than staff at the water-front tavernas, with 'touts' outside the tavernas between Nufaro and Christos, although, if so, I find this more genuine, friendly, and very much preferable.

Even more charming than usual, this spring. Owner - afraid don't know his name - sat down and drank a couple of Rakis with us, and other diners, without being at all intrusive; this is something that Iamvery particular about also,where other people have 'personal space', I have a three-mile exclusion zone! Altogether, nice evening all round

Food was very good, nothing outstanding, perhaps, in a place where grilled meat is generally simple but excellent, but haven't ever been disappointed, all the same. The smell of the grilling meat itself is lovely!

Maybe a personal preference? No accounting for taste, so I won't preach, but I'll go again the next time that I'm in Plakias.

Richard

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
He is Manousos! Lovely family, been going for years.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
Yes, eaten there recently.  The food and service is average, and, I agree, the menu is somewhat limited.

Νούψη 
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 12:23:11 PM »
It's true that it's unpretentious. But that, and the setting, is part of its charm.