Author Topic: Elafonisi  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« on: October 04, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »
Our friends wanted to see the pink sands at Elafonissi and,as we fancied a meal in Chania in the evening, we decided to give it a try. We got there in just under 3 hours. The roads were fine - scenery interesting but not quite as stunning as the road down to Paleochora. Good points - nice sand and it's on the E4 walking route so you can do some exploring on foot from there. It's kept very clean and, although busy immediately in front of the car park and close to the island, it's a large beach and there's plenty of space 100 yds north and south for everyone. The photo below was taken from the south side.
Minus points are: the distance, obviously. Also, the sand, although pink in places, was not the 'natural miracle' mentioned in some information we read. So, ok if you really like driving and combine it with something else but we wouldn't go again because it's just too far away.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:39:15 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
Elafonisi
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »
Hi Graham and Karen,

Your post really surprises me. Elafonisi is probably the most beautiful beach on the whole of Crete and the area around Elafonisi is one of Crete's protected areas. It is an astonishing place, Elafonisi and Chrisoskalitissa.

In fact I have just written a complete article on the area with photographs at:
http://crete.wordpress.com so maybe you would like to look.

Ray

Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Our friends wanted to see the pink sands at Elafonissi and,as we fancied a meal in Chania in the evening, we decided to give it a try. We got there in just under 3 hours. The roads were fine - scenery interesting but not quite as stunning as the road down to Paleochora. Good points - nice sand and it's on the E4 walking route so you can do some exploring on foot from there. It's kept very clean and, although busy immediately in front of the car park and close to the island, it's a large beach and there's plenty of space 100 yds north and south for everyone. The photo below was taken from the south side.
Minus points are: the distance, obviously. Also, the sand, although pink in places, was not the 'natural miracle' mentioned in some information we read. So, ok if you really like driving and combine it with something else but we wouldn't go again.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »
Hi Raymond,
I've edited my original post to clarify that the reason we wouldn't go there again is the distance from Plakias. If it were closer, we would go back, but to explore the wider area rather than the beach. I'm sure the beach is stunning when it's quiet and I hope my photo gave an idea of what the south side is like but busy beaches are not our thing and the area close to the island was certainly busy when we were there.
Quote from: Raymond
Hi Graham and Karen,

Your post really surprises me. Elafonisi is probably the most beautiful beach on the whole of Crete and the area around Elafonisi is one of Crete's protected areas. It is an astonishing place, Elafonisi and Chrisoskalitissa.

In fact I have just written a complete article on the area with photographs at:
http://crete.wordpress.com so maybe you would like to look.

Ray

Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Minus points are: the distance, obviously. Also, the sand, although pink in places, was not the 'natural miracle' mentioned in some information we read. So, ok if you really like driving and combine it with something else but we wouldn't go again.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »
we really love the island BUT hate the beach, too many sunbeds and litter but the further you walk, the less people

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
Well - everyone else's photos certainly show the area better than mine. We were loaded up with stuff when we visited so didn't walk across to the island. Sounds like we missed out. Never mind - if we are ever that we we will give it another try.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
Struth Chris you were up high to get that shot  

that's where i broke the jimney in june!

and the view from the opposite direction

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:18:02 PM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »
yes via Sklavopoula (i think), not a road i would recommend

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »
try it with your 4 wheel drive failed...it's a good laxative  

Offline StephenIcarus

• View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »
Elafonissi is astoundingly beautiful, but it is indeed a very long way from Plakias.  We went there last week from Palaeochora, and even that was over an hour's drive, but so very worth it.  Our three-year old practically forgot we existed as he plunged straight off into the warm turquoise water that only came up to his chest, out and out and further out still.  We got there a bit before 9, and had the place more or less to ourselves as a private slice of paradise, until the innumerable tour coaches started showing up at 11, and the day boats not long after, with the beach filling by 12ish, whereupon we scarpered for points north.  Not that it was packed beyond capacity or anything, but its a natural beauty that's best enjoyed without a liberal dressing of humanity.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elafonisi
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »
Quote from: StephenIcarus
Elafonissi is astoundingly beautiful, but it is indeed a very long way from Plakias.  We went there last week from Palaeochora, and even that was over an hour's drive, but so very worth it.  Our three-year old practically forgot we existed as he plunged straight off into the warm turquoise water that only came up to his chest, out and out and further out still.  We got there a bit before 9, and had the place more or less to ourselves as a private slice of paradise, until the innumerable tour coaches started showing up at 11, and the day boats not long after, with the beach filling by 12ish, whereupon we scarpered for points north.  Not that it was packed beyond capacity or anything, but its a natural beauty that's best enjoyed without a liberal dressing of humanity.
It's popularity is why, for us, it was a disappointment. From Plakias it's a very long drive so, unless you are prepared to leave around 6am or happy to drive back very late, you're bound to be there the same time as the coaches and boats.