login

Author Topic: Plakias to Chania  (Read 5589 times)

Offline john&debbie

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »
Hi everyone
The good lady would like to go to Chania whilst we have the hire car, can anyone recommend a good route to get there, and how long might it take to get there? As we will be making a day of it, any ideas of good places to stop on the way there or back?
Cheers John & Debbie

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:53:44 AM »
Quote from: john&debbie
Hi everyone
The good lady would like to go to Chania whilst we have the hire car, can anyone recommend a good route to get there, and how long might it take to get there? As we will be making a day of it, any ideas of good places to stop on the way there or back?
Cheers John & Debbie

Hi John & Debbie,

I would suggest driving from Plakias to Selia along the south coast road to Rodakino then to the imbros gorge taking a right away from the coast there, it is quite a long way round but the views are amazing. There is a nice village just before the gorge which could be nice for breakfast. Once following the road to the north coast another nice place to stop is the village of Virisses from here you can carry on up to Chania. The route back then I would just follow the North Coast road back to Rethymno & down to Plakias. About 1 hr 15 mins. The drive there would be long but worth it to make full use of your hire car & especially if you've never done this route before as it's spectacular. If you decide to go along the North coast there then I would suggest stopping in either Georgioupoli or Kalives.

It depends what you want out of your day & how long you want in Chania etc.

Hope thats useful

Rowena

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »
Quote from: john&debbie
Hi everyone
Cheers John & Debbie
Hi John

The choices are endless really and Rowena's was a good start.

How about Mythious for breakfast, Platia or Panorama Tavernas then carry on that road and take a right at the t-junction that leads left to Selia. Then on to Lappa for a stroll around the old village, then on to Lake Kournas (quick top up at the Empire Cafe). Down the hill them as Rowena says Georgioupolis. It's not my favourite place but who knows?
or:
Straight to Chora Sfakia then north to Vrises, then left to Chania not forgetting the English Cemetary on the way.

I could go on but I'm sure there'll be other suggestions John!
I've never spent anytime in Chania but I've heard it can be a nice place, so allow plenty of time to wander around.

george...

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:52 PM »
We've gone to Chania via Lappa and Lake Kournas. Lappa's a nice place to wander round. Been to lake Kournas twice; a bit touristy but wasn't too busy when we went. Nice for a swim and we enjoyed canoeing round the lake for a bit of exercise. Arriving Chania late afternoon gives time to wander round the old town without getting 'shopped out'. Some very nice restaurants for an evening meal. Back to Plakias via the main north road but, take care - expect to see some bad driving. One time it was raining hard and was quite a stressful journey (ok once we were off the main road).

Offline john&debbie

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the information, it sounds like a good drive which ever way we go. Looking forward to it. Just got to remember to keep on the right side of the road!!!
Cheers
John & Debbie

Offline john&debbie

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the information, it sounds like a good drive which ever way we go. Looking forward to it. Just got to remember to keep on the right side of the road!!!
Cheers
John & Debbie

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Nice for a swim and we enjoyed canoeing round the lake for a bit of exercise.

More info please, ie what type of canoes, water clarity etc etc

Any piccys would be great too  

Canoes were the sort that can't sink (see pic. if I successfully attach it). Water is cold (refreshing  ), very clear. There's some water fowl, small fish, and we also saw a small water snake and a frog on the first trip.
[attachment=664:Canoeing.jpg]

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
Not sure about the snakes though, I leave the water rather fast at the sight of anything like that.  

Only saw it once, it was a small one (35cms) and it looked friendly

Stick of Rock

Plakias to Chania
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
We have stayed in Chania a few times and I would suggest that a visit to the covered market is a must. Not particularly to shop but to experience the life of Chania. There are refreshment stalls in there too.
If you have any interest in the history of the island a visit to the archeological museum is good too. Remarkable finds from pre-minoan to Roman and a quiet outside place for a sit. Not your average museum

Offline StephenIcarus

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Chania
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »
Not your average museum

This is true. It's a real charmer as these things go, and a great location halfway between the tourist market and the harbour.  

The museum benefits greatly from being (nearly) all in one lovely high-ceilinged room (see attached photo), with beautiful painted larnakes (late minoan clay coffins) and mosaics running down the centre aisle.  It somehow seems more manageable this way, although there's plenty to see.  
As noted, the outdoor lapidarium area is shady, green and peaceful, and plays host to a clowder of well-fed local kitties and seats you can admire them from.

If you've made the hike along the E4 to Lissos near Sougia, check out the statue of Aesclepius recovered from his magnificent temple there (on the left, past the large case with the bull-statues), as well as a beautiful bust of his daughter Hygeia (on the opposite side of the aisle). Also cool is the Master Seal, which shows what appears to a view of Minoan Chania (Kydonia) from the sea (just inside the entrance gate, on the left).

As satisfying a museum visit as you're likely to have anywhere, and open quite late by Cretan standards (i.e. it doesn't close at 3 like everywhere else).

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Re: Plakias to Chania
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
I know this is an old thread but thought I would add Armenoi village or Nipos for a break for future forum members doing this journey.
Armenoi (not to be confused with Armeni on the road to Rethymnon) is a lovely village just off the national highway behind the resort of Kalives Chania.
A kafeneion or two and two Tavernas. Nipos village has a fantastic taverna tucked behind the little church.
Armenoi http://goo.gl/maps/A4LXI

Nipos http://goo.gl/maps/F10rX
 http://www.angelfire.com/super2/greece/nipos.html
Rubbish photo and I know of no other photographs of this Taverna, the food is superb.