Author Topic: Makrigialos  (Read 7706 times)

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Makrigialos
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »
I have just booked a late deal for Makrigialos for end September , early October. I usually go in this month to Palaeochora but am becoming less enamoured with the place.

Has anyone been to this resort ? Will I , as a lone older traveller , enjoy it ?. Sadly  not a far-ender any more now I travel alone.

I always (bar once) go to Plakias early season and Palaeochora late season - but may start casting for pastures new.

Bearing in mind I am spending next January and February in Fuerteventura , you can see I do not set my sights too high !!!!

travellingran
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:48:12 PM by travellingran »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
Quote from: travellingran
I have just booked a late deal for Makrigialos for end September , early October. I usually go in this month to Palaeochora but am becoming less enamoured with the place.

Has anyone been to this resort ? Will I , as a lone older traveller , enjoy it ?. Sadly  not a far-ender any more now I travel alone.

I always (bar once) go to Plakias early season and Palaeochora late season - but may start casting for pastures new.

Bearing in mind I am spending next January and February in Fuerteventura , you can see I do not set my sights too high !!!!

travellingran
Hi travellingran

I went to Makriagialos about 10 years ago, I wanted to see that end of the island from Plakias but at the time couldn't get a 3 week stay to allow me to get down there and spend a couple of days exploring.

We stayed at the Miramar apartments right on the beach and must admit they were nice large rooms, but the beach is stoney!
The resort itself is a bit back to front, the bars/restaurants are all on the beach and the main road is behind them, unlike Plakias where there is the beach, the road then the bars. It's very small similar to Plakias in size with the eastern end taken up with a large, I think Scandinavian hotel complex, and it's a bit touristy, but the western end of the village was much more cosmopolitan.
If you like the archy sites there are a few down there to see but other than that, I found it quite dissapointing as far as places to see are concerned, but the people as always were nice and friendly and the bars and restaurants varied.
Ag. Nick. and Sitia are worth a visit as is Elounda and the trip to Spinalonga is always worth seeing even though they are now doing the place up.

Overall I was disappointed with Makri. and personnally wouldn't go back there, but I would always recommend anyone to go anywhere and make their own opinion instead of relying on mine.

I'm sure you'll have a good time, I get the impression you always do!  

george g...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:31:02 AM by George »

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »
Quote from: George

travellingran
Hi travellingran

I went to Makriagialos about 10 years ago, I wanted to see that end of the island from Plakias but at the time couldn't get a 3 week stay to allow me to get down there and spend a couple of days exploring.

We stayed at the Miramar apartments right on the beach and must admit they were nice large rooms, but the beach is stoney!
The resort itself is a bit back to front, the bars/restaurants are all on the beach and the main road is behind them, unlike Plakias where there is the beach, the road then the bars. It's very small similar to Plakias in size with the eastern end taken up with a large, I think Scandinavian hotel complex, and it's a bit touristy, but the western end of the village was much more cosmopolitan.
If you like the archy sites there are a few down there to see but other than that, I found it quite dissapointing as far as places to see are concerned, but the people as always were nice and friendly and the bars and restaurants varied.
Ag. Nick. and Sitia are worth a visit as is Elounda and the trip to Spinalonga is always worth seeing even though they are now doing the place up.

Overall I was disappointed with Makri. and personnally wouldn't go back there, but I would always recommend anyone to go anywhere and make their own opinion instead of relying on mine.

I'm sure you'll have a good time, I get the impression you always do!  

george g...

Hi George,

Well , thankyou for your reply and giving such a good description of Makriagialos. I have looked around websites and indeed the place is favoured by Swedish visitors.

However,  I will give it a fair go , find myself a quiet spot and work on the tan. If it turns out to be really. really awful I will take a trip to Ag.Nik and go shopping. As I will have two weeks I could always make my way back to Plakias or Palaeochora but I don't like to admit defeat !

Hope also to have look at the Kapsa Monastery which my neighbour (originally from Crete) thinks has a connection to El Greco. His house , the Astron Villa,   which we visited several years ago , is near Ierapetra so she is probably correct.

However , I have two weeks in paradise to look forward to first. !!!!! .......and as you say, I will still have a good time.

Thanks again, Travellingran.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Hopefully it won't be really, really awful TG, it was a long time ago that I was there so obviously it's changed somewhat.
I think that because we all like Plakias so much we do tend to compare places we go to, try and have an open mind, good luck  

Let us know how you get on and your opinion, it's always welcome and it would be nice to hear about the changes.

george g...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:13:37 AM by George »

Offline Mazey

• View Profile
Makrigialos
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 11:22:52 AM »

travellingran
We spent our first holiday in Crete at Koutsouras, and visited Makrigialos whilst there.  We went back there in (I think) October 2005.  Spent a week in Myrtos, which is a lovely little place - if you like eating out - not much else goes on there.  Then drove to Makri - we like it there - around the harbour particularly, eating there one night we watched the local boys and one very feisty girl catching squid in the shallows - magic (needless to say didn't have camera with us!)  The resort was shutting down, so fairly quiet, but the weather was good - one wet night.  Went by bus to Sitia which again is a very pleasant, low key town.  Iareptera not particularly attractive, but worth a visit.  Yes, there is a very large hotel complex at the far end of the resort, but you can avoid this easily.  The sea there is lovely for bathing, and although the beach can be a bit stony, once in the sea it is sandy.  There is also a lovely restaurant further along the coast - can't remember the name but it means The Cave, I think, they have outside oven there.  This year will be our 5th visit to Crete, we much prefer the south of the island and are looking forward to Plakias for the first time.
Enjoy - Mazey

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
TG

I'll have a dig around for some pictures this weekend, if I find any I'll put them up for you.

As Mazey said the harbour is nice, spent most evenings there and that 'Cave' place rings a bell, there was also a 'Captains... something at the end of the harbour, can't remember what is was. (S.D. looming).

If I remember correctly the harbour area was in another village, sounds odd but 'it' and Makri were within about 50 yards of each other?

george g...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »
TG

I'll have a dig around for some pictures this weekend, if I find any I'll put them up for you.

As Mazey said the harbour is nice, spent most evenings there and that 'Cave' place rings a bell, there was also a 'Captains... something at the end of the harbour, can't remember what is was. (S.D. looming).

If I remember correctly the harbour area was in another village, sounds odd but 'it' and Makri were within about 50 yards of each other?

george g...

Sorry TG, I had a look through the album... (those were the days!!) and couldn't find anything that will give you a good impression of Makri. Probably because we spent most of the time travelling.  

george g...

Offline Mazey

• View Profile
Makrigialos
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:43:03 PM »
TG

george g...

George - have had another thought, the Cave place was I think called Dragon's Lair - or similar - or the Greek equivalent!

Mazey

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:21:32 PM »
Quote from: Mazey

travellingran
We spent our first holiday in Crete at Koutsouras, and visited Makrigialos whilst there.  We went back there in (I think) October 2005.  Spent a week in Myrtos, which is a lovely little place - if you like eating out - not much else goes on there.  Then drove to Makri - we like it there - around the harbour particularly, eating there one night we watched the local boys and one very feisty girl catching squid in the shallows - magic (needless to say didn't have camera with us!)  The resort was shutting down, so fairly quiet, but the weather was good - one wet night.  Went by bus to Sitia which again is a very pleasant, low key town.  Iareptera not particularly attractive, but worth a visit.  Yes, there is a very large hotel complex at the far end of the resort, but you can avoid this easily.  The sea there is lovely for bathing, and although the beach can be a bit stony, once in the sea it is sandy.  There is also a lovely restaurant further along the coast - can't remember the name but it means The Cave, I think, they have outside oven there.  This year will be our 5th visit to Crete, we much prefer the south of the island and are looking forward to Plakias for the first time.
Enjoy - Mazey

Thanks Mazey , very much, for your reply. You have certainly made the case for Makri ! I am looking forward to going in Sept/Oct and I most certainly will enjoy.

Have a wonderful time in Plakias.

Thanks again,
Travellingran

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »
TG

george g...

Sorry TG, I had a look through the album... (those were the days!!) and couldn't find anything that will give you a good impression of Makri. Probably because we spent most of the time travelling.  

george g...

Thank again , George,

Have done one draft reply to you but lost it in the ether. I pressed upload instead of add reply. It was very boring anyway.

Thanks again for info.,  I will go to Makri and explore and enjoy !!

Mazey's reply gave a good impression of the place and the German website I found has good pics. I am now looking forward to going there.

Thanks again,
Travelling gran. ( I like TG !!!)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:32:57 PM by travellingran »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:08:13 AM »
George - have had another thought, the Cave place was I think called Dragon's Lair - or similar - or the Greek equivalent!

Mazey

Hi Mazey

I have been reliably informed that the Dragon's Lair was the name of a Taverna high up on the hill, Easterly, on the way to the monestery...

george g...

(I thought 'Travelling Gran' was a bit of a mouthfull, TG)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:09:45 AM by George »

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »

Mazey

Hi Mazey

I have been reliably informed that the Dragon's Lair was the name of a Taverna high up on the hill, Easterly, on the way to the monestery...

george g...

(I thought 'Travelling Gran' was a bit of a mouthfull, TG)

Hi George,

That's ok, although I prefer ' travellingran '. My family all call me that anyway. !! But you can call me TG.

travellingran.

PS. my daughter wants to know if Makri has a Taverna with a chair stuck to the outside wall. She assures me she has seen one. TG

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:23:49 PM by travellingran »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makrigialos
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »
Hi TG
I don't remember one, but there again it's been over 10 years since I was there so who knows??

george g...