Author Topic: A not so worrying development  (Read 35947 times)

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
A not so worrying development
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 11:35:41 AM »
Chris you are not writing about Lito  from Lysseos (my favorite)?  Because that would be a little embarrassing for her.  

"The owner of one of my favourite restaurants only shaves twice a week and always has a cigarette in his hand even when he is serving our food, disgusting uhh?"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 11:36:19 AM by steven »
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »
Not to worry, he's definitely male!

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »
Quote from: Mandy Harrison
Well if I should ever be fortunate to win the lottery I like to think I could buy the whole complex and then burn it to the ground but regrettably that will never happen.  Its a nice thought though

Wonderful idea! May I assist? Imagine all those mountainbikes... you could raise the biggest bikerental in whole greece!
burning and looting
shinaria

Mandy Harrison

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 05:14:52 PM »
Quote from: shinaria
Quote from: Mandy Harrison
Well if I should ever be fortunate to win the lottery I like to think I could buy the whole complex and then burn it to the ground but regrettably that will never happen.  Its a nice thought though

Wonderful idea! May I assist? Imagine all those mountainbikes... you could raise the biggest bikerental in whole greece!
burning and looting
shinaria
I've got me lotto ticket just waiting for the draw!  You can help me set up the bike rental shop and give up your day job he he! such dreams

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »
Clearly, the developers do not intend or want the plebeian people of Plakias in their 5* wonder-world, so hopefully, they will build a big tall wall to keep us all out.

Based on our experience of similar 5* complexes on the north coast, there will be a single access point from the main road with a 24-hour (armed?) guard to drive away we undesirables.

Perhaps the artist who decorated the harbour wall could do the honours on/to this wall, too?
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 01:05:15 AM »
Well according to a man eating breakfast at Kostas last week (who told my informant he had been going to Plakias for over 20 years) Plakias is 'owned and run' by three wealthy Cretan businessman, who don't like outsiders making money from Plakias.

??????????
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 09:14:58 AM »
Mr Al-Jaizani’s comments as far as I am concerned are welcome on this forum as much as anyone else’s and the fact that he's trying to put our minds at rest makes me wonder if he or any of his partners have actually spent any recreational time in Plakias, to experience the ambience of the restaurants and bars and the surrounding countryside.
Most importantly are the people who actually live there now, and who, after this development is completed must be affected by it.
That’s why the majority of visitors and locals love Plakias as it is, we accept that there will be changes and there often are, but one of this size and in this timescale, will change everything that we and the locals have come to love, share and enjoy over the years.

Just a quick thought, if this development is taking up 90% of the building development plan, it doesn’t say much for the Tektonas effort does it, or are they part of the same group??

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct thread as I have found all the proposed development plans for the town somewhat confusing.

I was hoping someone who is either there now or who has been recently can update us on what has changed since last year. For instance, has the land behind the walk to the far end seen anything of the proposed development yet? Are all the old favourite tavernas likely to be open this year? What about the new harbour to the west of the town?

I know that some forum members have visited during the winter but I guess the numbers will increase markedly once we get to the end of the month.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct thread as I have found all the proposed development plans for the town somewhat confusing.

I was hoping someone who is either there now or who has been recently can update us on what has changed since last year. For instance, has the land behind the walk to the far end seen anything of the proposed development yet? Are all the old favourite tavernas likely to be open this year? What about the new harbour to the west of the town?

I know that some forum members have visited during the winter but I guess the numbers will increase markedly once we get to the end of the month.

Mike
I'm sure that the majority of the bars and restaurants will remain the same although there are always one or two that change or come and go. Whatever the developements are I can't see them affecting the local businesses much at this early stage, unless anyone local knows any different i.e. Santa or Dave and Ali.
I shouldn't think the new harbour will affect the town very much, I heard they were moving the fishing boats out there to give the pleasure boats a bit more room.

I, like you Mike are looking forward to the 2008 reports coming in.

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »
Quote from: George

Mike
I'm sure that the majority of the bars and restaurants will remain the same although there are always one or two that change or come and go. Whatever the developements are I can't see them affecting the local businesses much at this early stage, unless anyone local knows any different i.e. Santa or Dave and Ali.
I shouldn't think the new harbour will affect the town very much, I heard they were moving the fishing boats out there to give the pleasure boats a bit more room.

george g...
I agree with George about the harbour. As regards the developments towards the far end I too hope not too much has happened so far. I don't want 2008 to be my last visit but will look elsewhere if the place is spoiled by them.

One thing that may affect the Brits this year is that the £ has fallen against the € by about 20% since last year, at a time when many are under financial strain at home caused by the credit situation. Fortunately for the service providers of Plakias many tourists are now from the euro zone.

Mike

Offline keef

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 09:57:22 AM »
Quote from: George

Mike

george g...
I agree with George about the harbour. As regards the developments towards the far end I too hope not too much has happened so far. I don't want 2008 to be my last visit but will look elsewhere if the place is spoiled by them.

One thing that may affect the Brits this year is that the £ has fallen against the € by about 20% since last year, at a time when many are under financial strain at home caused by the credit situation. Fortunately for the service providers of Plakias many tourists are now from the euro zone.

Mike

Yes the £ is in a bad way against the euro. Does this mean 1 Mythos a week less on holiday??? ( I think not ).

Keef

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
This is exactly my worry about the lousy exchange rate. Will anyone in Plakias, or the first visitors there, please let us all know the 2008 prices for a large bottle of Mythos, last year in Lefkada I was paying 2 euros, up to 2.5 euros for the large bottle, and wine was between 4 euros and 6 euros for a litre in a restaurant. Will Plakias be as economical?
And, whilst we are about it, what about Ouzo, Raki, Bacardi Grouse................ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ooh my head hurts.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »
Quote from: JBMouse
This is exactly my worry about the lousy exchange rate. Will anyone in Plakias, or the first visitors there, please let us all know the 2008 prices for a large bottle of Mythos, last year in Lefkada I was paying 2 euros, up to 2.5 euros for the large bottle, and wine was between 4 euros and 6 euros for a litre in a restaurant. Will Plakias be as economical?
And, whilst we are about it, what about Ouzo, Raki, Bacardi Grouse................ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ooh my head hurts.
For many years Greek inflation has been greater than the UK's, although this may have lessened now Greece is in the € zone. However, prices in € still go up there year on year. This, plus the 20% decline in the value of the pound, will make things much more expensive this year for Brits.

Mike

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »

For many years Greek inflation has been greater than the UK's, although this may have lessened now Greece is in the € zone. However, prices in € still go up there year on year. This, plus the 20% decline in the value of the pound, will make things much more expensive this year for Brits.

Mike

I think I am the first from the so called €-zone which writes an answer.
During the last years in Plakias we have noticed that many prices are increased but we have the same fact in Germany and every year we make the same
experience in Spain. We will see what will happen this year.
Sometimes we think there must be a limit but we are not sure about the development.
Nevertheless we are waiting for our next holidays in Plakias.

Kerstin

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 08:17:16 AM »
Quote from: JBMouse
Why do I get the impression your not necessarily going for the sunshine!    

george g...