Ostraco's Bar > Gossip

How did you first find Plakias?

<< < (2/12) > >>

George:
I've always been one to avoid the crowds and the obvious resorts, ie mention Crete and people will say Ag Nic or Malia, or Rhodes and its Faliraki etc etc... Sorry guys these places are not for me. I go abroad to see and feel a foreign country.
I've tried a lot of the, as they were then, remoter islands, just to find some authenticity, then good old SunMed, bless 'em, included Plakias. This looked good to me! A bit more remote from some of the more popular resorts, so I went for it.
Stayed at the Erato for two weeks and really liked it and the resort and the far end, that was in 1992.
Went back with Tina the following year, and remember sitting in Antonis, which had by then been adopted by me as my afternoon bar, and looking out to sea I turned to her and said 'perhaps just one more year'.
We tried other islands just to find somewhere comparative and went to some great places, but always decided to go back to Plakias for the big two weeks and we never looked back.
Done seaching... Found Plakias!!  

george g...

Chas:
We are addicted to Greece and are cheapskates, too.

So, for the past five years (since the kids were forced into independence!) we've trawled the internet for "late deals" in quieter/smaller resorts.

We came unstuck (sort of) a couple of years back and ended up in Stalis .... however, on a trip to Gortys and Phaeston, we discovered the south coast (Miritos, to be precise) and noticed the only UK company having accommodation there was Kosmar.

Miritos has disappeared from the brochures but Paleohora and Plakias seemed to tick the right boxes, so we kept on checking the website.

Finally, this May, we got the deal we wanted .... to Plakias ... and the rest is you know what  

Historical note:
We first discovered Greece back in the 70's - thanks to Sunmed, Grecian and (shock horror) Club 18-30 (the first package to Rhodes, when Faliraki was a lay-by on the coast road with about five buildings!).

Regulars since 1992:
Our best man and his girlfriend first introduced us to Plakias back in the late '80s and we've been back most years since. Apart from motorsport, which is a job for me as well as a passion, foreign travel is one of our great loves and we tend to head elsewhere whenever we can each year, but an autumn return visit to Plakias is always one of our annual priorities. As we fell in love with staying at Stella's many years ago, we still do now and make our own travel arrangements as a result. Roll on mid-September when we're back again for a couple of weeks.

Greecemad:
Great idea Barny.

Like many others, I was introduced to Plakias by SunMed. As I had no-one to travel with I looked for holidays where I could join a group of people. After doing 4 coach tours (one to the Greek mainland), I discovered the rambling holidays that SunMed did in and around a place called Plakias in Crete and on Lesbos (Plakias also appealed because of the nudist beaches in the vicinity). So in 1990 I spent a fortnight in Plakias (at the Oasis Pension) and enjoyed the rambling led by Bill and Joan. The year after I did another SunMed rambling holiday on Lesbos - this was not so enjoyable as Molyvos isn't such a good walking area, it's doesn't have the same good beaches, and the rambling leaders weren't as good either. However, on both these holidays, I discovered various people, including some on their own, who were travelling independently. So I then set off on my own and did a 3-week island hopping trip around the Dodecanese and Cyclades. I have travelled independently to various Greek islands ever since and have been to Plakias a total of 9 times in 18 years.  

Greecemad

John R:
After my retirement in October 1996 we went via 1st Choice to Malia (their choice not ours !!). We actually did ok there - good rooms, quiet location and we found a super authentic place to eat in the old town (have never found better !!). Hired a car, saw a lot of Crete and liked the island enough to return. However we thought the following year we would try Rethymnon. Ended up a bit too far East of town - 0K but really Malia was preferable to that (better eating facilities). When booking for that year, 1st Choice brochure were mentioning Bali and Plakias as remote places for those with more sense of adventure - or something like that. We had already see Bali and didn't fancy it but we hired a car and investigated Plakias. Our jaws dropped when we saw Plakias (and the immediate surrounding area - and what a drive through the gorges). So the following year (1998) onwards we booked 1st choice to Plakias and Stella Pension. When 1st Choice dropped out of Plakias we came independently - still to Stella.

John R

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version