Ostraco's Bar > Gossip

How did you first find Plakias?

<< < (12/12)

JackieatUrbanAgenda:
By chance really.....back in 1987 by then partner wanted to find somewhere with a nudist beach so he booked with Sun Med. I loved it at first sight....although I've never been able to locate the rooms we stayed in (somewhere at the back of Costa's I think). The rest is history.....we booked to introduce my (now) husband to foreign travel....have spent our 40th and 50th birthdays there and on Tuesday will be celebrating a 30 year association. Have been elsewhere but it keeps drawing me back.......enough said !

conway s:
Started in the early nineties first visit was to Elounda very nice but will have changed I am sure. following year Peleochora . We liked the island so much we looked in brochure and said Plakias sounds just up our street. Stayed all over plakias first was Appolo the rep was called Jassinta it is a bit different now. We like to stay at Doras now quirky but so peaceful and she carnt do enough for us especially the raki topped up every day.
We have made so many friends there not a bad one have we found. My greatest friend being Niko Brokialakis you will all know him from the fish and chip shop. I go up to his house when we are over there. I miss all the nights in his restaurant ,also the character's who used to go in there .
My friends back here say why do you keep going back to Plakias , difficult to explain until you have been around Greece and hit upon Plakias.
I have met a few Cretan people on my journeys around Greece and the really are a cut above the rest , I don't mean that in a bad way but they are so proud of where they are from.
Was in Plakias in April absolutely fabulous first time that time of year cannot recommend it enough back in October it will be so different .         

thrillers:
1983 - our honeymoon. Then a 30 year absence until 2013 and came back for our 30th anniversary. Coming back today for out 7th visit since 2013.

rmartlin:
For what it’s worth... met my American wife in Plakias in Feb ‘72 before any commercialization of Plakias. A Canadian boy on the road.. In 1976 the N.Y. Times did an article on the first tourists to spend the winter in Plakias which spurred development of an old fishing village which the locals frequented only in summer. We took pride in being in that first group of hippies and culturally things were ‘bumpy’ as mores were radically different then. We called ourselves Plachettes and lived behind Sophis’s Cafe for 1 dollar a night in rope beds and later took a House on the shore for 40 dollars a month... paradise and we were the only westerners there in a semi permanent basis.BTW there were only 2 restaurants open only seasonally and no hotels. You could rent a small house as we did but there were only 3 or 4 available. We stayed 4 months and although offered a job waitering or in the local greenhouse had to leave because things were fractious with the locals due to being unmarried and living together... we made dear local friends however... Monolis and Leftari of Kristos Cafefame who were children when we were there. Plakias IS magic and I can see that so many love it still...

bwian:
A fascinating thread! We were having a hotel holiday at the north of the island. We hired a car for a few days and drove all over. On our way back from Frangokastello we called in at the beach at Plakias for a dip. Was delighted to find the naked end!  Visited a couple more times that holiday.
Then, several years later, I found Plakias in the Olympic brochure. It’s been a regular for us ever since.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version