Author Topic: accomodation help for newbie  (Read 8751 times)

Offline bobbi

• View Profile
accomodation help for newbie
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:59:45 PM »
Hi Everyone

We will be staying in Paleochora for a couple of days next month and our plan is to  take a ferry from Paleochora to Hora Sfakion and then drive to Plakias. We are looking for accomodation for one or two nights. Something not too big in a quiet location would be great. We don't need fancy but something around mid range would be great. A balcony would also be welcome, especially if it had a bit of a view. I have read quite a bit on this board but am still unsure what would be our best bet. Have heard good things about the Horizon (any thoughts?) and the Alianthos Gardens has been highly recommended but is it quite big and crowded? We arrive around May 22nd or 23rd. Finally how easy would it be to just arrive and find a place on chance!
Thanks so much
Bobbi

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
Quote from: bobbi
Hi Everyone

We will be staying in Paleochora for a couple of days next month and our plan is to  take a ferry from Paleochora to Hora Sfakion and then drive to Plakias. We are looking for accomodation for one or two nights. Something not too big in a quiet location would be great. We don't need fancy but something around mid range would be great. A balcony would also be welcome, especially if it had a bit of a view. I have read quite a bit on this board but am still unsure what would be our best bet. Have heard good things about the Horizon (any thoughts?) and the Alianthos Gardens has been highly recommended but is it quite big and crowded? We arrive around May 22nd or 23rd. Finally how easy would it be to just arrive and find a place on chance!
Thanks so much
Bobbi

You could try our one and only favourite - Stella Pension. Definitely quiet (about 12 rooms total, breakfast optional and with self catering facilities. Ultra clean with air conditioning and quite good views from front top floor rooms - with balcony.

Contact Markos at brokalak@otenet.gr for details / bookings, website http://www.stella-studios.gr/

John R

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:32:04 PM »
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much
Bobbi

We have never booked in advance and have never had problems. Plakias in fact has alot of accommodation on offer. Our favourite has been www.gioma.gr which is a small block, balconies & good views, at the west edge of Plakias
The good thing about not booking is that if you don't like your first night it is easy to find some where else.
The Gioma also has 4 relatively cheap rooms that they let (above the Taverna but still v. quiet)

Stuart

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 07:34:18 PM »
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much
Bobbi

.......or you could stay here  http://www.anna-plakias.gr/home.htm.  Quiet location but easy walking distance on level ground to both the beach and the village.  Highly recommended.

Allan

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:06:59 AM »
You could try the Paligremnos studios where we stay. Short ten minute walk in to town and although they are above a taverna they are very quiet with fantastic views.

Susan

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
Hi bobbi

Try: www.plakias-filoxenia.gr for a lot of accommadation and contacts in Plakias and surrounding area.

george g...

Offline bobbi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 02:47:13 AM »
Quote from: George
Hi bobbi

Try: www.plakias-filoxenia.gr for a lot of accommadation and contacts in Plakias and surrounding area.

george g...

Thak you everyone for your help. it is always nice to hear first hand how people have liked certain places. We are very excited about our trip and looking forward to visiting Crete and the Plakias area!

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 10:15:49 AM »
For what it's worth, just thought I'd add that our vote too goes for Stella Pension, where my wife and I, like John R and his wife, have stayed many times. We're returning again in September. I'm sure you are unlikely to be disappointed wherever you end up staying though.

Offline The Murrays

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
Hi Bobbi

Check out the Oasis Studios, they are located on the top of the road as you come into Parga, they are about a 10 minute walk into the centre.  We stayed there for 3 nights 2 years ago and they are nice, clean, there is a bar and pool and you can get food there, check it out on Interkriti.  And Nikos and Maria are really nice.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 12:13:43 PM »
Quote from: The Murrays
Hi Bobbi

Check out the Oasis Studios, they are located on the top of the road as you come into Parga, they are about a 10 minute walk into the centre.  We stayed there for 3 nights 2 years ago and they are nice, clean, there is a bar and pool and you can get food there, check it out on Interkriti.  And Nikos and Maria are really nice.

Parga!!     that's a bit longer than ten minutes isn't it?  

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 12:51:43 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
Hi Bobbi

Not only that but I reckon it's a bit longer than 10 minutes to PLAKIAS centre. I stayed there on my first trip, and I though it a long drag staggering back up the hill every night.

Greecemad

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 01:30:45 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
Quote from: harribobs
Hi Bobbi

Not only that but I reckon it's a bit longer than 10 minutes to PLAKIAS centre. I stayed there on my first trip, and I though it a long drag staggering back up the hill every night.

Greecemad

It's a nice place though, it is a shame it's a bit far out.
My first visit to Plakias I stayed at the Erato on the t-junction to the Finikas, and I agree, that walk up the hill late at night or anytime is a killer.  

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »
Bobbi

i see you're looking for accommodation in Matala as well, you shouldn't have any problem there in May, but i would recommend you drive into Matala it's self and turn left just after the Zephira hotel ( the first left as you pass the shops) there are loads of small apartments there and it's right close to the beach and bars etc. we use Sylvias ( about four or so up on the left) around 25-30 € a night for a very nice room and parking

we'll probably have a night there ourselves in late May

chris

Offline The Murrays

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 10:29:01 AM »
Sorry, I meant to say PLAKIAS!  I am going to Parga end June for a week, before our 2 week holiday in Plakias end Sept.

We stayed at the Erato on our 1st visit 9 years ago, it has changed since we were there last, it has a pool now and a non englist tour company.

I do admit is it a longer walk uphill to the Oasis, but after a few MYTHOS, who cares?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 11:02:39 AM »
Sorry, I meant to say PLAKIAS!  I am going to Parga end June for a week, before our 2 week holiday in Plakias end Sept.

We stayed at the Erato on our 1st visit 9 years ago, it has changed since we were there last, it has a pool now and a non englist tour company.

I do admit is it a longer walk uphill to the Oasis, but after a few MYTHOS, who cares?

I walked round the Erato last year, and the pool looks very neat and tidy and inviting and a big improvement on what it used to be.
The sign on the wall outside is the big Czech or Polish tour company that seems to be taking over.
The climb up the hill is ok during the day but after a long hot day and a few bevvies in the evening...      

george g...