Author Topic: Olympic Holidays  (Read 19489 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 03:40:53 PM »
Olympic Report 2006
I cannot fault the operation this year!  
1. Check in at the Gatwick was very quick I asked the Monarch rep with the clipboard what desk for my flght and got sent straight to an empty one and got checked in without any queing.
2. 09.00am Flight took off 15 mins late, for an airline to me that's pretty much on time. Perfect flight, didnt even feel like we were moving it was so smooth, and it was nice to see the cabin crew lightening up a bit instead of being so starchy. 3 hr 30mins as estimated
3. Last one on the bus to the arrivals area, so first one up the steps to passport control. Straight through to baggage reclaim, and about 15-20min wait for bag.
4. The Olympic reps were in their usual position and got sent to the usual spot at the end of the huts. Got a seat right at the front of the bus behind the Georgious the driver.
5. Bus left within an hour of touchdown.
6. Two drops and a TWO HOUR transfer to Plakias. That's a record in my book!!  
7. Total travelling time from take off to entering the apartment = 6 hours 30 minutes.
8. My mate Morven gave me the room I had asked for on the order form in the special request section.

Excluding anyone on the same trip can you beat that??  

Only one gripe that didnt affect me at all, but obviously concerned any newbies in town was that there wasn't a rep on the bus again, and we were all given written directions to our apartments, because there was no one to meet the bus in Plakias.

Congrats to Olympic, it couln't have been any better  

And I will eventually write to my pen pal from last year and let her know, and have a gripe about the reps not being on the bus.  

Did I have a lucky year or did anyone else have that kind of trip or otherwise.

george g...

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2006, 11:29:43 PM »

Yes!

We arrived from B'ham on 03 Oct, took off exactly on time, arrived about 25 mins early.  Minibus from Airport, one drop-off in Rethymnon, total transfer 2hrs 15 mins.  Dropped off at Alianthos Beach then straight up to the Souvlaki house, bus driver then took us to Kostas Chryssolou on foot. From then he took the last passenger up to Dora.

We were actually in Zorbas so had to walk back but after the free pint of Mythos in the KC bar it didn't seem half so far!

When we left we had to walk along to Monza travel, I wasn't too impressed with that, but got on minibus with another couple who had had to come from Dora, just as it started to absolutely heave down with rain.  We picked up an elderly couple from the Alianthos, I was very impressed with the driver who manoevred the minibus as close as he could possibly get to the door and helped the chap (who walked with a stick) down the steps and into the bus, it was quite a big step up for him.  He took us nearly as far as the main rd where we transferred to a big coach.  We had a couple of pick-ups in Rethymnon again, total journey to the airport again 2hrs 15 mins.

The airport chaos (which I had been absolutely dreading*) was actually very well-organised by the Olympic Reps, we easily found seats in the departure lounge and we took off half an hour early, making up another 20 mins en route and landed at B'ham 50 mins ahead of time.

All in all we had very pleasant journeys in both directions although I do have one small criticism (Monarch not Olympic) - as we are both still awaiting our breakfast from the outbound flight!  I was a bit annoyed at the time, as I am diabetic and it could have been absolutely critical (as it happens it wasn't, but they weren't to know that - I never identify myself as such, as the 'diabetic' meals airlines serve are catered towards people on strict diets - which I am not!)

Anyway, indignant lettr to Monarch is being composed at the moment and I don't hold it against Olympic.  (Pete says nothing less than a fortnight in the Carribean will be enough to compensate him for the trauma he suffered wondering if I was going to alright lol)  (He reckons that is what has turned his hair white lol)

All in all, a very painless experience.

Jenny

* some 20 years ago my non-complaining, totally laid-back first husband led a tourist posse through the airport to find all the Reps where they were, ensconced in their air-conditioned office and informed them that unless they got off their fat arses and came and sorted out the f***ing chaos NOW, there was going to be trouble.  Nobody moved so he moved several steps closer and repeated the NOW by which time all the group behind him had all squashed into the office behind him - which seemed to galvanise them into action and they came and sorted it out.
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 08:59:39 AM »
Quote from: jenny

Yes!

The airport chaos (which I had been absolutely dreading*) was actually very well-organised by the Olympic Reps, we easily found seats in the departure lounge and we took off half an hour early, making up another 20 mins en route and landed at B'ham 50 mins ahead of time.
Totally agree Jenny with the airport scenario.
Three years ago, at Heraklion it was an absolute disaster area. We were given a check in desk number on the bus and we were left to it to find our own way there.
Inside the airport was a mass of bodies and once one had found the desk you had to follow the 'queue' back and try and find the end of it, and it must have taken about an hour or so before you actually got checked in. Lots of aggrieved people, sceaming kids etc. it was a nightmare.  

But saying all that, over the last two years, the organisation at the airport, has improved tremendously, and I've got checked in very quickly, with enough time to grab something to eat and a drink and go for a walk outside, before going through passport control. Much more civilised!!  

Is that all down to the authorities at Heraklion or Olympic, who knows?

Glad you had a good trip!  

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 02:01:25 PM »
i totally agree the reps have got their act together organising people into the correct queues for getting in the airport

what has made the heraklion experience a lot more pleasurable for me has been the extention to the departure lounge as well, it must be twice the size now and you can actually get a seat!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:02:06 PM by harribobs »

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 08:48:22 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
i totally agree the reps have got their act together organising people into the correct queues for getting in the airport

what has made the heraklion experience a lot more pleasurable for me has been the extention to the departure lounge as well, it must be twice the size now and you can actually get a seat!

Hi, was nice to meet you & Mandy in Plakias.

Anyway I can't share your experience at Heraklion. As we don't do the package thing we always make sure we arrive at Heraklion early to beat the coaches. We did but seemed to be sharing the suitcase sercurity with another flight so it still took ages, however we had still checked in with 2 hours still to spare. As always we don't go through to departures until we see our plane land (learnt that lesson along time ago, no joke being in departures for an 8 hr delay with no seat!!) Anyway back to the story our plane landed & straightaway we went to passport control only to see the worst q ever much worse than all the coaches arriving together at check in! Then we checked the board & our departure time had changed to 12.30 not 13.00 well we had 5 mins! how did this happen?  guessed the plane would not be going any where as all the people in the q had only just checked in 4 the same flight. All I can say it was chaos, we missed duty free (winter Ouzo supply) & we still didn't take off until 13.15!

Rowena & Carl

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl

Anyway I can't share your experience at Heraklion.

Rowena & Carl

Ditto - nice to meet Chris and Mandy in Plakias.

Our experience at Heraklion this time was superb. Only passengers for our plane in the much expanded airside lounge. Cafes, duty frees all deserted and hundreds of seats to choose from. Security standing there doing nothing. It all depends on your flight timing. Our BA flight was 10:30pm on a Friday (40 minutes late eventually) and when we studied the departure boards for 4 hours or so later we could see the problems that were to follow after our departure. Same at the UK end at Manchester. BA flights are from Terminal 3 (exclusive to BA and BMI) and it was almost deserted with security people standing around with nothing to do. Took 5 minutes to drop off luggage and 5 minutes to get through security. On an adjacent terminal catering for Charter flights security queues were out to the pavement. Might have been different if a BA Jumbo flight to the States was about to depart.

BA flights superb with lots of leg room and I could choose our seats 24 hours prior to departure on BA website. Logged in 23 hours 59 minutes prior to departure time and chose front row which was excellent with acres of leg room.

John R
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 08:44:27 AM by John R »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 11:44:12 AM »
Ditto - nice to meet Chris and Mandy in Plakias.

John R

it was lovely to meet you and Gillian as well John, hope you've recovered from your expedition to Sifis Grill House  

Rowena & Carl

and how good it was to meet the lovely Rowena and the ultra cool Carl !! sorry you had such an horrific experience at Heraklion though

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2006, 12:52:30 PM »
hope you've recovered from your expedition to Sifis Grill House  

That was meant to be a State Secret    until  the arrival of the Paparazzi  :'(

John R

Offline Denis and Chris

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
Quote from: John R

hope you've recovered from your expedition to Sifis Grill House  

That was meant to be a State Secret    until  the arrival of the Paparazzi  :'(

John R

Wasn't even enough  time to cover them with a blanket before the Paparazzi spotted them.Told John to wear dark glasses  

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 07:37:47 PM »
Quote from: Denis and Chris
Wasn't even enough  time to cover them with a blanket before the Paparazzi spotted them.Told John to wear dark glasses  

Yes but if I'd worn dark glasses I wouldn't have been able to find those small (albeit tasty) lamb chops