Author Topic: Plakias in slow decline  (Read 10323 times)

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
Re: Plakias in slow decline
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
I can assure you my view is not through rose tinted glasses, more based on experience and reality. If you wish to see more resorts that appear to be in terminal decline then I would suggest a visit to the north of the island where many open prisons are now in operation (all inclusive hotels). These places have a terrible effect for the local tavernas, restaurants, kafenions etc. As much as I hate them, we'll have to get used to them as they are very successful. They undercut the price for a self catering package holiday and supply all food and drink, meaning you don't need to take a penny "spending" money with you.
Many places in Agias Pelagia were feeling the pinch last year and it wasn't unusual to be the only diners in a restaurant. I fail to see how this is rose tinted. As for the present political and socio economic climate in Crete, if you feel my view on this is rose tinted then you completely misunderstand. I could go on about the natural beauty and the welcoming people, but you don't want to appear to acknowledge this, which is a shame, as they are the paramount reasons for returning year after year.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
This is a strange thread, reminds me of the peson who started the 'massage' thread. Is it you again Geoff?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
Well, at the weekend we booked flights and an apartment at Skinos, for 11 days in May. We may well return later in the year also, went twice this year for the first time and certainly didn't regret it!

There have been changes over the years, some we like and some we like less, things move on. But, we both still love Plakias, and personally, I can't wait to be back.

Richard.

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »
Totally agree
We will be returning again next year too.
We can't stay away.

Dave&Les

Offline Kriticat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
Not sure what the OP's agenda is - maybe to get people to go to Galini or Sfakia instead?
I live in Crete much of the year too, and although the problems for residents, especially greeks and business owners, are truly awful, the island remains a wonderful place both to live and to visit for a holiday. In fact tourism numbers increased this year (though not enough people are spending enough in tavernas, gift shops etc, too many all-inclusives being sold!) - many from the east, most of whom are as nice as from anywhere else - there are bad apples everywhere in the world.
Plakias is still one of the nicest resorts on the island, and retains its village feel despite the mushrooming of apartments on the outskirts. Businesses have gone bust, some because the owners were encourage to over borrow - much like everywehre else in Europe.
Anyway, this is a visitors forum, there are plenty of expat forums for having a moan about the economy, politics, etc.
So if you genuinely wish Plakias and its people well, why post something so negative in a forum that is used by people that love it? Do you want to put them off?

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
When I visited Plakias in August I thought that there were maybe fewer people than last year (there was no shortage of sunbeds at the far end) but certainly no signs that the resort was in terminal decline as is being alleged here. On the contrary - it seemed to be as bustling as ever, and I can't wait to go back next year.

Noopsy   
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
I can assure you my view is not through rose tinted glasses, more based on experience and reality. If you wish to see more resorts that appear to be in terminal decline then I would suggest a visit to the north of the island where many open prisons are now in operation (all inclusive hotels). These places have a terrible effect for the local tavernas, restaurants, kafenions etc. As much as I hate them, we'll have to get used to them as they are very successful. They undercut the price for a self catering package holiday and supply all food and drink, meaning you don't need to take a penny "spending" money with you.
Many places in Agias Pelagia were feeling the pinch last year and it wasn't unusual to be the only diners in a restaurant. I fail to see how this is rose tinted. As for the present political and socio economic climate in Crete, if you feel my view on this is rose tinted then you completely misunderstand. I could go on about the natural beauty and the welcoming people, but you don't want to appear to acknowledge this, which is a shame, as they are the paramount reasons for returning year after year.

An interesting thread, which I have hesitated to join since I can see some truth on both sides of the argument.

The world is dynamic and if something is not on the incline it must be on the decline.

Greece has been in rapid decline, so there can be few spots there which are not following in some way. Failure of the olive crop has not been confined to Crete and the loss of such an important export commodity could not come at a worse time for Greece.

We have not been to Plakias for two years for family reasons, but would expect the wider financial recession to have effected it to a noticeable degree.

I am not quite sure where the thread moved from discussing gradual to terminal decline, but as Europe emerges from the recession, I am sure there will be a resurgence in Plakias. It may take some time, but for me the most noteworthy aspect of the Cretan character is resilience and so the locals will still be there to take advantage. As Happyashellas says, the biggest danger to local tourist economies is the all inclusive. It is slowly strangling the life out of Kos tavernas and apartment owners. Let us hope Plakias avoids its clutches.

Still, the thread has actually galvanised us. If the Plakias economy is suffering we need to do our bit to revive it and have just booked flights and accommodation for next year.

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
Going down the nick or not, we'll be there in late June early July 2014, absolutely love the place, paradise!! The other half wanted a change from Crete in 2013 so we went to Corfu, big mistake, wont happen again!

Offline We live in Plakias

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
Reporting unpleasant facts can get one disliked. But if you continue to blind yourselves to the truth about what is happening to Plakias then one day you will wake up and find that your beloved Plakias has gone forever. So perhaps rather than getting cross with me you can all give a bit more thought to helping keep Plakias the way you like it. Because that it what I'm trying to do.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 01:17:53 PM »
That is exactly what we are doing - by affirming that we are continuing to return to Plakias despite your dire warnings of doom and gloom.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »
OK......this thread is getting very depressing and it's not because of the 'threats' to the future of Plakias. Those of us who choose (a very important word in this argument) to return to the village on a regular basis are contributing to its continued appeal. We are not 'blind' to the changes or the current pressures on the local communities. If anything, it is one of the reasons why we choose to support a village that we love. As I said before, things change...it's happening everywhere at the moment but please don't have a go because someone mentions the wildlife or the landscape because it is important to them. I have a professional interest in the sustainability of locations and businesses and, although there are changes and it is hard at the moment, Plakias really isn't displaying the signs of unlimited decline so I don't know what sparked this theme.
I know from talking to friends in the tourism business that return rates are important indicators for both current and future success...Plakias maintains a return rate that is significantly higher than most of the other Cretan 'resorts' so it still has quite a bit going for it.
I am beginning to feel that I should justify my desire to return as it doesn't seem to suit some people...well, like many other I have already booked our 2014 hols (guess where !) and we are still thinking of retiring to the village in a few years time. Can you please either explain why you are so sure that Plakias will no longer exist in a few years time.....or, at least, realise that there are a lot of people out there who would give anything to ensure its success. If something specific is needed then tell us.....otherwise we cant help beyond the bookings for 2014 and beyond. 

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »
Thank you, JUA, for a very constructive intervention.

I have no intention of justifying my desire to return (although I know what you mean regarding the perceived need to justify!), it is a personal thing, certain aspects of which I (and others) choose to share in this forum, and other aspects, perhaps not.

Agree that advice on how to help, rather than pessimistic forecasts, might be the better way forward.

Richard

Offline cinzia

• View Profile
    • www.cinziacastellano.com
    • Email
Re: Plakias in slow decline (or is it?)
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 12:07:41 PM »
Well, I have waited a bit before attempting to write a reply (or an extra comment, to be precise), mainly because I have been going to Plakias only for the last 4 years or so, therefore my perception is limited to a much shorter experience.
A few changes yes, for sure; not all of them good, but some are.

It is true that the little bakery at the corner has closed down, but an excellent one opened up just a few doors down, and the lady is always sitting there ready for a chat and a laugh. By the way, their bread and cakes are great!
The place where I usually stay (Kostas) has refurbished their rooms, which is very good. A few shops on the far end have closed down, but last time I was there they were working to open something else.
I cannot recall seeing any kind of elegant, stylish and quality stuff in Forum market: for me that's the typical seaside kitsch place where we buy something just to regret it as soon as we unpack our suitcases at home; usually those are the funniest memories of the holiday...

So, all in all, whereas a general decline in manners and quality might be a sign of the global times (and I mainly blame the Media for that and a few other things), perhaps holding on to the good bits still available is simply healthier for the spirit.

But I do find democratically essential that this Forum must be open also to less "popular" points of view.
People have been labelled as pessimistic or negative (I am a "fan" of Existentialism and I tend to use those words very carefully) about their personal views  and comments about Plakias, but I feel that everyone is entitled to express their opinions, especially if they do in a polite, analytical and critical way, as they did.

People might have a hard moment and the tendency to see everything in a darker light is somehow inevitable. In the same way, if one wins a big Lottery I doubt that his/her eyes might observe the rising amount of dirt with inadequate litter bins around the town.
There are people who observe intensely and others who are focussing only on the best  they can.
I find interesting to hear different voices and most of them can add a new aspect to what I think I know.
But in order to have our views challenged and refreshed, it is very important to keep the Forum open to any kind of comment; again, as long as it's made in an appropriate tone.

Incidentally, I am going back next May, and as usual, I will do my little bit to help the locals by going  especially in the empty restaurants. It is not a noble act of generosity: I simply have little sympathy for crowded and noisy places, not to mention when crying children are the main background. In my experience the tavernas in Plakias are all pretty good for the price they ask, and being served with all the attention of the single diner is a fantastic pleasure :-)

See you there.