Author Topic: Mirthios/Myrthios Tavernas  (Read 7392 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Mirthios/Myrthios Tavernas
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:38:56 PM »
The village of Mirthios/ Myrthios is just above Plakias and has a few shops and four Tavernas I know of. The Plateia, The Panorama, Dionyssos and Vrisi.
I have never eaten in Dionyssos so would be interested in any reviews, it is raised up above the road on the opposite side to the Plateia and Panorama, always full when we pass in the evening. The Vrisi is just below the main street in Myrthios and next to the old laundry, it can be accessed by steps in the village or a small road when entering Myrthios, you can also drive up the small steep road that passes the turning for the Youth Hostel which will take you straight to the Vrisi, the vrisi may look extremely plush but its prices are reasonable. The Plateia serves excellent traditional Cretan food and if you want to try that true Cretan dish of snails this is where to eat them.
Vrisi

Panorama

Plateia

Dionyssos

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:02:03 PM by Lampyland »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mirthios/Myrthios Tavernas
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Ahh,memories! who remembers getting the Plakias 'train' up to Myrthios, enjoying a meal in Platea then waiting for the train to take us back down to Plakias?

Barny.

Fancy a Mythos?

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
That poor old, dear little train......conveyor of many happy visitors. It took us to Mirthios on several occasions...I could have walked up in less time but never mind. It also took me to the raki festival as Kalli Sekia (sorry about the spelling) on the night before my 40th birthday....great evening even though we did need to get up at 6am for the trip to Samaria the next day. Great memories  (I think....couldn't really vouch for their accuracy in the circumstances) !

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »
The walk up is a little warm in the main summer months. Where did the little train go?  It sat not moving for a season or so and then went away. Is it the one near Rethymnon carrying tourists about?

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »
I heard it went to Athens a number of years ago much to Margherita's dismay.

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »
wow, looks good in fact, the view to the sea is great. Honestly, sometimes I think that living in the UK, I miss something... I do more and more often play with the thought of migrating to another country but can't really make up my mind about where to... my favorites have to be Greece, Spain, Portugal or Cyprus, but the economic situation is just too bad at the moment... therefore I have also gathered some information on how to get a green card for the US and found a really helpful website. I really think I am going to take part in a green card lottery.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:06:20 AM by wanderer »
-can music save your mortal soul?-

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »
Poor train. Ended up in the big bad city. Probably pining for Plakias still.

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Being a regular to Myrthios for the last 8 years, I think all four restaurants are very good.
Vrisi is according to us very nicely decorated for a Greek restaurant.  The food is very good, but we found the service not very good (were there 3 weeks ago).  Freddy was a very good waiter, but unfortunately has left Plakias and his replacement is not very organized.
We loved Dionyssos up until it was modernized and the cook was replaced.  We feel that it has lost a lot of its character, but the food is still very acceptable.
Our preference this year went to Plateia, both for the food and the service.  Panorama has live music one evening a week (forgot the day, but they announce it at the outside), which makes it very popular on that particular evening.
You cannot go wrong in any of the 4 restaurants and prices are very reasonable.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »
Thank you Hugo.
The loss of Freddy is sorely felt. Very organised, friendly and professional. He must hate living in the Midlands with all the traffic, buildings and rotten climate.
Looks like we missed our chance with Dionyssos, a restaurant lives though its chef and you do everything in your power to keep a good one.
I found some images at last.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:54:39 PM by Lampyland »

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »
COMPLAINT: Pleeeease stop posting lovely photos of Plakias, Myrthios, Selia etc., have some respect for those of us who have not yet been this year (and those of us, me , that is, that probably wont get there this year).

The train! Sadly missed for all the trips we went on, slow, relaxing, smelling the air, ideal to get to Myrthios, great for the Prevelli monastery, especially the lunch stop at Stelios Taverna in Lefkogia, meatballs in tomato sauce now just a distant, much loved memory!

Good news, off to Lesvos tomorrow, lots of ouzo to bring back, hopefully will get to Plakias when commitments allow.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
COMPLAINT: Pleeeease stop posting lovely photos of Plakias, Myrthios, Selia etc., have some respect for those of us who have not yet been this year (and those of us, me , that is, that probably wont get there this year).

The train! Sadly missed for all the trips we went on, slow, relaxing, smelling the air, ideal to get to Myrthios, great for the Prevelli monastery, especially the lunch stop at Stelios Taverna in Lefkogia, meatballs in tomato sauce now just a distant, much loved memory!

Good news, off to Lesvos tomorrow, lots of ouzo to bring back, hopefully will get to Plakias when commitments allow.
I hope that plea was tongue in cheek  :-[ . Trying to provide informed choice and a picture worth a thousand words etc. I have loads of photographs of Lesvos too, pity there does not seems to be decent forum.
Perhaps now you can see what you are missing you will be back in Plakias sooner. I am jealous of all that lovely Ouzo you will be drinking and bringing home, oh and beautiful Molivos.
Have a great time, wish I could afford Lesvos too this year. Chios is also fantastic, if you ever feel the urge  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:51:31 PM by Lampyland »

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:54:04 PM »
Definitely large jealous tongue in large jealous cheek!
Love Plakias, just wishing I could be in 2 places at once, all the time.

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

Stelios still does good meatballs in tomato sauce! (and anything else in tomato sauce!)

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)