Author Topic: September update  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
September update
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
Now half way thru our annual pilgrimage to Plakias.

Weather is hot.
Very hot at 35 deg plus.
Some wind but not enough to be a nuisance.
But the sea is beautiful and warm

The place is as busy as we have ever seen it at this time of year.

Excellent mix of nationalities with no one being too prevalent.

Staying with George at Creta Mere as usual and eating out at our usual places....Harkas, Geo Ma, Sifis etc.
Every taverna is very, very busy.
We are needing to book a table a several places to ensure getting in to eat at a time we want.

Changes from last year ?
Very little, in truth.
New Tarmac roads in part of the village and a few small building changes.

But the biggest change for us that our favourite place to eat, Sirocco, has now changed hands once again and not now on our eating out rota.

I will update further on our return home next weekend.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: September update
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
Thanks for the update, especially as we are due there in 3 weeks!!!!
The Sirocco was our favourite, going back to when Stavros ran it with his son Babis. Any reason you are not going there this time? The last couple to run it after Stavros were OK, and the feedback on tripadvisor is still complimentary.

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »
Will be there on Wednesday , staying at Sofia, so your update is very timely. Ta ever so!

Offline Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
I was in Plakias for the first 2 weeks in September and ate a Sirocco 3 times. I found the new owners to be friendly and trying hard. The orange cake given with the bill was absolutely delicious. I found the food to be as good as most other restaurants, but my only reservation was the timing of the main course after a starter course. At times the main arrived before the starter was completed! I'm sure with practice and peoples continued patronage the mew owners will be successful. 

Offline bryhy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »
Just back. Sirocco was one of our favorities on previous visits- but very pleasantly surprised by the new owners. Very happy indeed with the food and service

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »
Now back home after our holiday in Plakias and, as promised,here are our thoughts on that holiday:

We flew Ryanair from Leeds Bradford to Chania and picked up a car from the airport.
No problems at all with the airline or the airport.
The drive down from Chania is, we find much better/easier than the drive from Hiraklion to Plakias.

Stayed for 11 days at Creta Mere with George and Joanna, as we have been doing for the past 10 years.

Creta Mere rooms are fairly basic but spotlessly clean and the view from the balcony is breathtaking.
Good breakfast and warm, friendly welcome as usual.
Also, free use of their sunbeds on the "on the rocks" beach area.

The weather for the first week was as good as we have ever known it in Plakias in September.
Some days up to 36 deg c and all days over 30 deg c.
Some wind but nothing to be a nuisance when on the beach.
Second week was a big change in the weather.
Much cooler, at about 28 deg c and much more wind.
On Friday and Saturday the wind was so strong as to make the beach out of bounds and we had almost storm force winds overnight on Friday.

Sea temperatures were ideal.
Warm and fairly calm, except for the last few days.

I note with interest the comment made on this site re sunbeds towards the far end.
I make no comment on those who pre book beds with early morning towels. (not us, by the way).
But what I will say is that on several days, there was so much pressure on the beds that it was difficult/impossible to get a bed.
Time to increase the number of beds available ?

The village was a busy during our first week as we have ever known it.
Very good mix of nationalities with no one country too much represented.
The last few days did change slightly, with a big influx of UK visitors.

As with sunbeds, getting a table in some restaurants could be troublesome.
To eat where you wanted to and when you wanted to required pre booking a table, sometimes a couple of days in advance.
But as is usual in Plakias, the choice of places to eat at is very good and it is rare to have a bad meal at anywhere you chose to eat.

As to my comment on Sirocco:
We did, at the end of our stay, re visit this Taverna.
To my mind, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Our choice is that we will not be re using this Taverna for our evening meals.
This is a major disappointment to us, as we always ate there at least 3 time each holiday and that includes when Babis was there and also the people who took over Siroccos some 3 ? years ago.

Changes to the village:
Very few , in fact.
A few new tarmac roads can now be found in and about the place and these must be most welcome for those people who own accommodation on or close to them.
The road from Plakias on towards the new harbour has been much widened and improved.
The road past the re built tavernas which were fire damaged is now also significantly wider.
Does this now allow coaches to pass thru the village and onto the new harbour ?

New café next to the main bakery is now fully open.

New small bar open next to Geo Ma which we found excellent for mid afternoon drinks.

But not a lot else has changed.

All in all, one of the best holidays we have had in Plakias.

Each year we think that maybe this will be the last visit to the place.
But the next year we rebook for another "last time"
We will see what next year brings us.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
Just starting our second week here in Plakias.  Yes it is breezy but nothing by Plakias standards and it keeps the clouds and humidity away so not complaining.  Been on the beach every day no problem. 
For those who might not be aware if it is windy in Plakias try Damnoni, Amoudi or other nearby beaches - they are nearly always more sheltered.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »
Well October actually.  Has been wonderful weather over the last few days and set to remain, so enjoy those of who are coming out tomorrow.  We go home which is a shame but all things come to an end.
Til next time......

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
Might as well add my 2 penn'orth! Had the most marvellous holiday in September. We hadn't been for a few years due to illness and house move. We realised how much we missed it. Already booked flights again for next year! Loved all tavernas especially Antoni's Place. Looking forward to next year.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »
Yes - we just back as well. Second time this year. Wonderful holiday at wonderful place with wonderful people - especially the company at Stella Pension. Evi and Markos at Stella make us all so welcome and are the head of one big holiday family. Breakfast club a major social event :))

Antonis is one of our very favourite eating places and deservedly getting very popular indeed in the evenings now. Booked again for next year.

John