• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Euro
« on: November 02, 2002, 10:05:51 PM »
This year was my first experiences with the Euro, I soon got used to it - and I think it's time the UK joined in. It also seemed to me that it didn't affect prices in the shops much, as everyone feared. What do you think?
John - Ostraco

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Euro
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 12:03:32 AM »
That's one of the things I liked about it. Even in Greece, I spotted German, French and Irish currency in circulation.
In terms of national identity - that's never really bothered me too much (anyway, I'm Cornish, Not English)
John - Ostraco

Offline Andy_K

• View Profile
    • Email
Euro
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 05:37:40 PM »
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']Hi all.[/span]

First of all, I'd like to congratulate John on setting up this forum; it must have taken up a lot of your time.

I also enjoyed dealing in Euros in the summer, but I found that on Kefalonia the prices had rocketed in comparison to those of just 12 months ago; but I put this down to Kefalonia being new to increased numbers of tourists crowding into the island since the movie:  Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I can't really blame the islanders for "cashing in"...!  

I'm all for Britain embracing the Euro, as we really get ripped-off when it comes to exchanging currency both at home and abroad. However, I wouldn't want Brussels telling us how to be British, as I feel that political correctness has already been blown up out of all proportion, and Brussels seems to be hell-bent on changing the British way of life.

I did find the Euro rather attractive though!  

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2002, 05:08:32 PM by andrewjdavies »

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Euro
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 05:53:19 PM »
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the good wishes - and I have to admit it wouldn't have happened without the help of Andy, the other board Administrator. You'll find his introduction in the Gossip forum of Ostraco's Bar.

I had a week in Kefalonia - where I actually first used the Euro - and I would agree that prices are higher there. Nice island though! They certainly have made the most of Captain K - though having seen the film, it was interesting to visit some of the locations they used.

Totally agree about exchange rates, and I do feel that we can embrace the Euro, and all it's advantages without loosing our National identity. After all - we can all tell the French from the Gremans when we meet them abroad!
John - Ostraco