Author Topic: Other resorts  (Read 55457 times)

Offline Butties

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Other resorts
« on: August 08, 2004, 05:01:12 PM »
Now I know that to some the very idea of staying anywhere other than Plakias may be considered grounds for expulsion, but....

Now that Butties minor have almost flown the nest the much loved one and myself may be in the decadent position of being able to have two holidays in 2005. Both are likely to be in Crete and one will be in Plakias, but we are also looking to try new pastures.

One place that has caught my eye as a potential starter is Myrtos near Lerapetra. The Rough Guide to Crete; a publication I have found never to be shy in coming forward, calls it a 'charming unexpected pleasure, kept as clean as a whistle by its proud residents', praise indeed.

Members of this forum have been going to Crete for a long time and have a wealth of experience of what we all know is a wonderful Island.  
I wonder, is there anyone out there who has experiences of Myrtos, good or bad that they would be prepared to share?

Butties, Mark.

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 08:29:21 PM »
Now I know that to some the very idea of staying anywhere other than Plakias may be considered grounds for expulsion, but....

Now that Butties minor have almost flown the nest the much loved one and myself may be in the decadent position of being able to have two holidays in 2005. Both are likely to be in Crete and one will be in Plakias, but we are also looking to try new pastures.

One place that has caught my eye as a potential starter is Myrtos near Lerapetra. The Rough Guide to Crete; a publication I have found never to be shy in coming forward, calls it a 'charming unexpected pleasure, kept as clean as a whistle by its proud residents', praise indeed.

Members of this forum have been going to Crete for a long time and have a wealth of experience of what we all know is a wonderful Island. 
I wonder, is there anyone out there who has experiences of Myrtos, good or bad that they would be prepared to share?

Butties, Mark.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,

I had the misfortune to spend one night in Myrtos a few years ago whilst doing a car tour of part of Crete, and I wouldn't go back again. I didn't think it was much of a resort - the buildings were old (without being interesting), shabby and dusty and the beach wasn't very good. There was nowhere were you could bare all either. I don't remember many tavernas and there certainly wasn't anything in the way of lively bars (like Ostraco).

There is nowhere else like Plakias, but I have seen quite a bit of Crete. What exactly do you like about Plakias? Paleochora or Matala may be places that you might like to think about.

Greecemad.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 11:35:40 PM »
We did a car trip to Myrtos with a view to perhaps staying there if Plakias was unavailable (some tour companies go there quite cheaply). We were not over impressed. If Plakias did not exist then maybe ok but it did not compare well and I would not swap it even for a change of scenery.

John R

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 01:13:37 PM »
One thing that we all have in common is that we like Plakias and therefore other similar resorts suitable for twenty to seventy plus somethings, with a good beach and tavernas, laid back Greek atmosphere, with excellent scenery and walks would fit the bill. Oh, and no lager louts.

Resorts that fit into this description that I know of are not on Crete. I have virtually decided to restrict myself to them (and Plakias of course) rather than look for somewhere new, risking disappointment (the last exception to this is my autumn 2004 holiday to Vassilikos, Zakynthos).

The list is (in no particular order), Petra (Lesvos), Scala (Kefalonia), Kambos (Samos), Tingaki (Kos), and Agios Georgious (also known as St. George South) (Corfu). But for the poor beaches I would include Haraki (Rhodes), Kalives (Crete) and Paralio Astros (Peloponnese). Matala (Crete) sounds good but I have never been there.

If anyone would like to know more I would be happy to help, but as this is a Plakias forum it might be more appropriate to contact me via my E-Mail address which I think will be displayed if you click on "Mike G".

I would add that I always (ever since the family has been grown up anyway) holiday in May and Sept/Oct so I cannot vouch that all of the places mentioned are quiet in high season (is Plakias?).

Offline Butties

• View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 07:07:54 PM »
One thing that we all have in common is that we like Plakias and therefore other similar resorts suitable for twenty to seventy plus somethings, with a good beach and tavernas, laid back Greek atmosphere, with excellent scenery and walks would fit the bill. Oh, and no lager louts.

Resorts that fit into this description that I know of are not on Crete. I have virtually decided to restrict myself to them (and Plakias of course) rather than look for somewhere new, risking disappointment (the last exception to this is my autumn 2004 holiday to Vassilikos, Zakynthos).

The list is (in no particular order), Petra (Lesvos), Scala (Kefalonia), Kambos (Samos), Tingaki (Kos), and Agios Georgious (also known as St. George South) (Corfu). But for the poor beaches I would include Haraki (Rhodes), Kalives (Crete) and Paralio Astros (Peloponnese). Matala (Crete) sounds good but I have never been there.

If anyone would like to know more I would be happy to help, but as this is a Plakias forum it might be more appropriate to contact me via my E-Mail address which I think will be displayed if you click on "Mike G".

I would add that I always (ever since the family has been grown up anyway) holiday in May and Sept/Oct so I cannot vouch that all of the places mentioned are quiet in high season (is Plakias?).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you all for the responses, there is no substitute for first hand experience. It will keep me busy. Interested to see Kambos ( Samos) on your list Mike as I have considered it as an option but like you say, the risk of holiday disappointment is always present if you have no first hand experience.

Thanks all, Butties, Mark.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 01:27:19 AM »
I used to get around the islands a lot - then I found Plakias!
Since that time, I've been to Thassos and Kefalonia, and enjoyed both.
Other places I loved were Paros - near Mykanos (which I hated) and Molyvos on Lesvos.
I didn't like Ios much, but Santorini was good, if a little expensive.
Lots of nice places on Corfu - but don't stay in Kavos, although it's worth spending an evening there.
Halkathiki was great, but very quiet.
John - Ostraco

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 06:49:08 AM »
We've not explored as many places as some of you but one place we've been to twice is Pefkos on Rhodes, near to Lindos. Quiet and compact and close to the Lindos which looks a picture at night.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 03:14:20 PM »
I agree with Ostraco re. Paros and Mykonos. I had a good holiday in Paros (Logaros/Pisso Livadi) in Oct 2000 as a single traveller. However, of the 14 day holiday only 11 were spent on Paros, owing to transfer delays from Mykonos caused by rough seas (2 days) and an early return for the same reason (1 day). This meant 3 nights in a Mykonos hotel and 2 evening meals at Manos' expense. Mykonos is frequented by a certain type of male (I'm not prejudiced but am of the opposite persuasion) and the island is really expensive.

Not surprisingly Paros disappeared from Manos holidays soon after, as they must have made significant losses. Now that's an understandable reason for pulling out (First Choice please note!).

Pity, as I thoroughly enjoyed Paros and hope to return if they ever build an international airport.

Mike

Offline hopper

• View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 09:54:04 AM »
I found Karpathos an interesting island. That was a while ago so. Beautifully green, ideal for hiking.
cheers Hopper

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 03:53:54 PM »
Hello Hopper,

Do any tour operators go to Karpathos? I don't recall having seen it in any brochures. It must be the largest island off the main tourist trail (Evia excepted). On those grounds it sounds good. Does it have an international airport? Based on its location the weather ought to be as reliable as it gets in Greece.

Mike

Offline hopper

• View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 06:56:12 AM »
Hi Mike,
I can't tell you that. I went to Karpathos in 1978 on the way back from Turkey to Krete. The ferry used to go from Agia Nicholaos  via a little island (tiny, which I don't know the name off, but would be worthwhile checking out) to Karpathos,  on to Rhodes. From Rhodes there is a ferry to Marmeris in Turkey. I would not think that Karpathos has an international airport. It's very hilly, imagine it would be hard to fit one. I imagine there would be small planes and ferries from Athens as well. I just googled and there seems to be plenty of information in Google.
Hope that helps, but do go, its a beautiful island.
cheers Hopper

Offline LoukaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 10:19:45 AM »
We stayed in Karpathos a few years ago.

Via Rhodes we flew to Karpathos on a regular flight.

I must say it was a great shock coming of a big airplane and changing to a small plane with I think only about 15 chairs.

Not being a hero, to be honest I was wandering if I wanted to fly in this shoebox !

The flight was terrific.

It was like sitting in a small bus, everyone talking to eachother, especialy the Greek people going home or to their work on the island.

The plane flew very low so that you had a tremendous vieuw of the sea and islands.

We were told that only small planes flew to the island because of the strong winds.

The airport is on a tip of the island and is very windy. (We almost blew out of our clothes on arrival !)

You can go by boat too but it takes very long.

We went back to Rhodes by the night boat hoping to have a short cruise.. only to find that the boat stops at every harbour and that it was dark very soon so that you did not see much.

We can't say we slept much as we sat in chairs amongst (loud) snoring passengers who had already been on the boat for hours stopping at other islands.

It certainly was a special experience !

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 02:25:52 PM »
tried to add picture of karpathos but quality not very good.

Has anyone ever been to Gavdos?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 02:41:01 PM by fraoula »

Offline hopper

• View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 08:29:25 AM »
Hi Fraoula
Yes I have, once again last in 1978. At that time, there was no power in Gavdos, certainly an experience. Warm beer only. It was a very beautiful island, we walked across it, which did not take long.
I think we took a little boat from chora sphakion. Met a swiss couple who had lived  there for months in a mud-building.
Nice time, but it was also great to come back to fridges and cool beer. Very friendly Greek people lived there.
As far as I remember, there were some nice beaches and good snorkeling.
It would be interesting to see it now. If you go there, let me know what it's like now.
cheers Hopper

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Other resorts
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 09:01:03 AM »
Hi Fraoula
Yes I have, once again last in 1978. At that time, there was no power in Gavdos, certainly an experience. Warm beer only. It was a very beautiful island, we walked across it, which did not take long.
I think we took a little boat from chora sphakion. Met a swiss couple who had lived  there for months in a mud-building.
Nice time, but it was also great to come back to fridges and cool beer. Very friendly Greek people lived there.
As far as I remember, there were some nice beaches and good snorkeling.
It would be interesting to see it now. If you go there, let me know what it's like now.
cheers Hopper
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks Hopper for the feedback, yes was looking at Gavdos for a day trip next year- my hubbie's really into snorkeling so that's good to hear! I presume they have power now!? But like I say it would only be a day trip anyway.I Will let you know how they keep the beers cool!!!