login

Author Topic: Driving from Hereaklion Airport to Plakia  (Read 4878 times)

Offline ricson

• View Profile
Driving from Hereaklion Airport to Plakia
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:24:41 PM »
My wife and I are travelling to Plakias later this month and would be grateful fo any advice avaliable for drivng the from Heraklion Airport to Plakias.

Also does anyone have dealings with Elite Cars ? I have never uesd this firm before so would be grateful for any feedback...

thanks

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »
Quote from: ricson
My wife and I are travelling to Plakias later this month and would be grateful fo any advice avaliable for drivng the from Heraklion Airport to Plakias.

Also does anyone have dealings with Elite Cars ? I have never uesd this firm before so would be grateful for any feedback...

thanks

I cannot comment on Elite cars - never used them. I have had satisfaction from Ansos (in Plakias) Caravel and this year we are trying Alianthos.

The drive from Heraklion we find very easy. Out of the airport exit, just a few yards to the main east/west highway, turn right and a straightforward drive to Rethymnon outskirts (no urban area driving whatsoever). Keep to speed limits (ignore those who don't). Outside Rethymnon, turn left (right exit down slip road - signed Spilli and Prevelli I think) and motor towards Spilli. - nice road. Turn right towards Prevelli, down a gorge and you sort of end up in Plakias. We do it a night very easily but I emphasis we DO know those roads very well indeed. If you are doing it at night just do it carefully. At night it is very quiet (ghost like) which is advantageous if you are dithering a bit. The main point to consider is that you have no urban areas to cope with. We will be doing that route on the late evening of 26th this month

Hope that helps

John R
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:36:38 PM by John R »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »
hi ricson

welcome to the forum

it's a simple enough drive, follow the signs for Rethymnon, which takes you on to the national road, drive west for around 50 minutes to the (signposted) Spili junction, which is basically at rethymnon, turn left there following the spilli road, about 20 minutes later you take a turn right for plakias as signposted

easy peasy!

opps  beaten by Mr R
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:16:00 PM by harribobs »

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:00:46 AM »
You may find this thread useful for general advice about driving in Crete.

This post contains detailed instructions with distances.
John Page

Offline ricson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »
Quote from: compage

Thanks to everyone very helpful. thankyou

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 08:12:57 PM »

Hello  We have been going to Plakias since the early '90s, we rent our cars from Alianthos, they meet us at the airport and if you wish a driver will take you down to resort at no extra cost, this must be arranged before you travel, at the end of a long journey especially at night this is a good idea Daisy

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 08:48:23 PM »
Quote from: Daisy

Hello  We have been going to Plakias since the early '90s, we rent our cars from Alianthos, they meet us at the airport and if you wish a driver will take you down to resort at no extra cost, this must be arranged before you travel, at the end of a long journey especially at night this is a good idea Daisy

With a slight detour go via the Kotsifou Gorge. Breath taking gorge! Great views across Plakias Bay!
Kalo taxidi
Leen