Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »
Hi fellow Plakians
What a catastrophe. Peter and I can well imagine the devastation having just returned (yesterday) from Kephalonia where similar, but not nearly as severe,  fire(s) were started.  Our thoughts are with all those lovely people and wish them well.  We are looking to seeing them again in September.
Yvonne

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »
Quote from: Yvonne
Hi fellow Plakians
What a catastrophe. Peter and I can well imagine the devastation having just returned (yesterday) from Kephalonia where similar, but not nearly as severe,  fire(s) were started.  Our thoughts are with all those lovely people and wish them well.  We are looking to seeing them again in September.
Yvonne

I echo that Yvonne. We have returned from a stroll on Hounslow Heath (OK not so exotic!) where they often have small bush fires, to imagine something a 1000 times bigger is dreadful.

All our best wishes to the people of Plakias, I know thier strength, character and resolve will pull them through this.

Paul

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
FIRE
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »
We normally arrive end sept beginning of October for our 2nd yearly visit & you never know what the wind or weather is doing, we have had hot, cold, windy, torrential rain but we still enjoy it because Plakias is special whatever the weather! Try not to plan just enjoy...

Rowena & Carl

Offline reddiablo

• View Profile
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2006, 03:27:30 AM »
[so   sorry to hear of this catastrophe,
I  often watched the animals near the secret nest.
just pleased to hear all are well

cheers   roger     canada

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 12:28:04 PM »
When we woke at 10.00 on Thursday morning the first thing we noticed was the smell of smoke filling the air, when we opened the patio doors (we always have the same back room at the Lamon) all we could see was the thick smoke in the distance and all you could hear was the sound of the locals shouting at what was happening.
By 2.00 in the afternoon the fire had taken a real hold, helped by the heavy gusting wind faning it. Fire engines were arriving all the time even from as far away as Heraklion. Word was that it was started deliberatly in 4 diferent places. The Secret Nest in the olive groves was evacuated. By now the road was blocked off by the bridge and the taxis and private cars were being moved away, although this was to allow the fire engines access at the bridge to refill with water. Some guy appeared in a huge JCB type vehicle and was dashing a breakneck speed from one side of the fire to the other in an attempt to create a fire break.
Local farmers arrived in pickup trucks with water barrels in the back with hose pipes in an attempt to help.
It was very saddening seeing grown men crying like they were, seeing what was to all intent their family history going up in smoke like it was, some of the Olive trees were over 200 years old.
In the evening as we went to Madousa. poor Babis was almost in tears, a lot of the olives had been in his family for generations, we tryed to comfort him, but what can you say?
As we walked back to the Lamon in the dark all you could see in the hillside was this eerie glow of the olive trees still alight inside and looking like ghostly fairy lights in the distance.
On the Friday morning it appeared that the fire had been beaten at last with the fire crews working throughout the night, but mid afternoon we heard that it had started up again and that the arsonists had been caught and were handed over to the police, although we later heard that they were not in fact the perpertraitors.
The fire engines remained for several days afterwards.
The only good thing is that appart from a few cases of smoke inhalation no one was seriously hurt, and that our beloved Plakias is safe once more.
[attachment=375:attachment][attachment=374:attachment][attachment=376:attachment][attachment=373:att
chment][attachment=377:attachment]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:54:41 PM by Ploppy »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 02:23:23 PM »
thanks for the report guys,

frightening.................

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
FIRE
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 02:59:16 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
thanks for the report guys,

frightening.................
This is Santa- I have to tell you this has been a difficult time- The fire stopped 150 meters from my house . I was in Rethymno doing some banking and catching a lunch with my family when we got a frantic cell call from our friend Vangeli- " where are you? Plakias is burning and your house is in  trouble- get here now!". You can't come from the east- you must try through Sellia- maybe they will let you through?" I sped to Plakias and watched the fire creep closer- All we could do was pack our valuables and hope for the best- Luckily the winds shifted at the last moment and we were spared. I have been building my retirement home for 11 years- You cannot imagine what went through my mind-I have been telling my local friends here about the good wishes you have been posting and they do appreciate it very much.
Anyway, no lives were lost- thank God-
I will be leaving this Sunday, but will be back on August 5.
God bless you all-
Santa

Offline aspasia

• View Profile
FIRE
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 03:39:23 PM »
Quote from: compage
I'm sure that forum members will wish to extend their sympathy to all the locals affected by the fire and I hope the library survived.

I am a new member of the forum who has been in Plakias when the fire started but had to leave on the 7th and as far as I understand the worst started on the 8th. I cannot express in words what I feel for the people and this special place which I visited for the first time this summer. I have decided to go to Plakias mostly based on your forum and the comments made by the members and I was sure I will soon become addicted to this place. I would also want to express my sypathy but at the same time to tell all the Plakians to look on the bright side of the road. We are with them and next year I will be there again!

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 09:29:50 PM »
Quote from: Santa
I have been telling my local friends here about the good wishes you have been posting and they do appreciate it very much.
Anyway, no lives were lost- thank God-
I will be leaving this Sunday, but will be back on August 5.
God bless you all-
Santa

so many of us think of plakias as home as well, it hurts us as well

thank god it wasn't any worse

Offline Luke

• View Profile
FIRE
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 12:59:04 AM »
My girlfriend and i have just arrived back from Plakias today after 2 weeks there, and witnessed the fire. In the early hours of the morning on that Thursday i could smell smoke so i reckon that it was started during the night and spread when the wind picked up. We were staying at the Kostas Chrysoulla and had to be evacuated for the night to the Lamon Hotel, as are room was a mess with ash from the fire.
My girlfriend and i got chatting chatting to Yannis, one of the locals who works in the bar opposite the Souvlaki House and he believes that Albanians were to blame as them and the locals don't see eye to eye.

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 08:58:11 AM »
[ironic comment!!!] Sure: it must have been one of the Albanians as no one else does any dirty work for such low wages as they do. And there is always a scapegoat to blame. [ironic comment!!!]
  shinaria

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 09:30:30 AM »
I think were treading on doggy ground here guys, you're pointing the finger on the evidence of hearsay. Let's wait and see what the authorities come up with.

george g...

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
FIRE
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 09:47:24 AM »
Right, George! I hope everybody noticed the IRONIC COMMENT signs.

Mandy Harrison

FIRE
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 11:42:04 AM »
This is the first time I have read the report on the fire for myself although Harribobs has told me about it and its effects (we do live in the same house!).  Just wanted to say I am gutted about the fire and my heart goes out to the locals.  It saddens me to hear that their land has been damaged and livestock have been killed.  I cant wait to get back to Plak to check on my friends and hope they are doing ok and getting back to normal.

Offline Anne and Stephen

• View Profile
FIRE
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 08:20:41 PM »
[attachment=380:attachment][attachment=379:attachment]We too were in Plakias during the fire staying at Kostas Chrysoullas.  Some residents were evacuated to hotels locally and some to Rethymno, we stayed put as the smoke didn't affect our room too badly but went down to the front to avoid the worst of the smoke and ash.  (We were in the "dreaded" room 62 which we found none too bad at all, there's even a sliver of a sea view.)

Here are a few pictures of the fire and aftermath.