Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Raki
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 03:26:18 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Hello Tom,

Re. home distillation, good luck to you in Norway if you know what you are doing. There would be significant penalties if you were caught doing it in the UK.

As a matter of interest in these times of heightened security, I wonder what the authoriities are making of people taking the unlabelled bottles of raki (40+% alcohol) that are for sale in Plakias on to planes.

Mike

I leave the original "water" labels on the bottles.    
Leen

Offline Colin

• View Profile
    • http://www.nowyoudo.co.uk
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 11:08:36 PM »
We had a quick panic when returning home on tuesday, as just before the scanners for your hand luggage were a large pile of water bottles to one side, we took a chance and kept our bottles of "mineral water"   in the bag and nothing was said.

We discussed this on the plane and could not decide, considering it's alcohol content, would you class it as a flamable liquid the same as a cigerette lighter ?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »
Quote from: Colin
We discussed this on the plane and could not decide, considering it's alcohol content, would you class it as a flamable liquid the same as a cigarette lighter?

Hello Colin,

Using common sense rather than strictly scientific definitions, 40% ABV liquids normally need to be warmed in order to ignite (e.g. the brandy on the hot Christmas pudding can be ignited whereas it would be difficult at room temperature). However I suspect Raki is nearer 50% ABV so would ignite at a lower temperature. The aircraft cabin normally contains many bottles of spirits bought in the airport duty paid shop.

Re. Leen's earlier point, the plastic bottle of raki I bought was completely unlabelled although I think the original contents were water. I wonder what the authorities would make of someone taking a bottle labelled water containing something flammable instead?

Mike

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 01:58:42 PM »
Dear Community,
I think that the cretan security authorities will surely know what is inside these "waterbottles". As it is part of the cretan culture they seldem will say anything about it but "Yammas". As long as your luggage is only checked at the "check in" in Herakleion or Hania you won't have problems. It would be more a problem if you try to bring it through the customs of an airport in Britain or another North European country.  ["Don't bring your home made raki to Crete"!] Maybe the situation will change when "European standards" will be carried out in Crete... They may force us to empty the bottles before entering the planes...   It is illegal to export unbranded home made Raki - But who cares? Buying Raki from the fabric kills the incomes of the poor cretan farmers!

Yammas
shinaria

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 04:07:34 PM »
we don't bother cos it NEVER tastes the same when you get home!

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »
Quote from: beachcombers
Our police and customs are to occupied to find the illegal weed greenhouses.  
No priority for finding / locating home distilled products.
Did you know we are allowed to grow 5 canabis plants in our homes.  
Most likely small scale distillation will be "tolerated" here as well.  

Leen

Well, that's Holland for you!  

As a matter of interest in these times of heightened security, I wonder what the authoriities are making of people taking the unlabelled bottles of raki (40+% alcohol) that are for sale in Plakias on to planes.

Mike
Certainly, at Heathrow, security are unceremoniously confiscating all liquids from departing passengers, and that includes their duty-frees.  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500
Certainly, at Heathrow, security are unceremoniously confiscating all liquids from departing passengers, and that includes their duty-frees.  

That is strange because I understand that liquids bought airside (after security) can be taken on flights EXCEPT those flying to the states - and Duty free is usually airside ??

John R

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 03:25:16 PM »
Quote from: John R
Quote from: Noopsy 500

That is strange because I understand that liquids bought airside (after security) can be taken on flights EXCEPT those flying to the states - and Duty free is usually airside ??

John R
Yes, you're absolutely right, John.  The duty-frees that get confiscated are the ones bought at other airports e.g. by passengers transiting through Heathrow, and that includes those effecting their transit wholly airside.
Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline MR P

• MSN Messenger - e2e100@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 02:42:21 PM »
I think i wood have to agree with Susan K, raki is extrmely strong, and at 15 when i 1st tried it, i thought i was going to die, and it did put me off drinking a bit that night, i think it was due to the fact that my throat was killing me. Now at the age of 22 i still havent drank it again since.

It was the most sickining thing i have ever tried, and would never try it again, and wood advise people who dont really like strong drink not to try it.

Or if anyone likes the lining to there mouth throat and stomach i wouldnt try it either.

MR P

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Raki
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 11:55:36 AM »
Quote from: MR P
I think i wood have to agree with Susan K, raki is extrmely strong, and at 15 when i 1st tried it, i thought i was going to die, and it did put me off drinking a bit that night, i think it was due to the fact that my throat was killing me. Now at the age of 22 i still havent drank it again since.

It was the most sickining thing i have ever tried, and would never try it again, and wood advise people who dont really like strong drink not to try it.

Or if anyone likes the lining to there mouth throat and stomach i wouldnt try it either.

MR P
Well,well, Mr.P- are we not being a little hard here on this fine beverage- Raki obviously is an aquired taste and since you will not drink it there will be just more for us- Your loss is our gain-
Santa

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
On a slightly related topic has anyone been to Greece this year and can report on whether their airports are still allowing liquids to be taken through the screening process in hand luggage? They were last autumn- I took raki through without a problem.

In the UK there are still very onerous restrictions on liquids I think (not more than 100 ml and displayed in a plastic bag).

Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 11:28:47 PM »
On a slightly related topic has anyone been to Greece this year and can report on whether their airports are still allowing liquids to be taken through the screening process in hand luggage? They were last autumn- I took raki through without a problem.

In the UK there are still very onerous restrictions on liquids I think (not more than 100 ml and displayed in a plastic bag).

Mike

I read only yesterday on another Crete forum that as from 22 November 2006 the Crete airports were indeed starting to ban liquids in hand luggage and conform to (most of) the rest of Europe. I have not heard from anyone with first hand experience of this yet - and have self interest re olive oil Quota.

John R

Offline mandie cook

• View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 09:53:27 AM »

Mike

I read only yesterday on another Crete forum that as from 22 November 2006 the Crete airports were indeed starting to ban liquids in hand luggage and conform to (most of) the rest of Europe. I have not heard from anyone with first hand experience of this yet - and have self interest re olive oil Quota.

John R

If you buy the olive oil from Christine and Denis;they put their oil in metal sealed containers and you can pack them in your suitcase. Ask for their whereabouts in Nikos souflaki.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 01:43:24 PM »

John R
Thanks for the warning John. Things I would want to bring back from Greek resorts include raki (Crete) or gin from the Dodecannese, where the local, export strength, product is only about €4 a litre and to my taste, mixed with tonic, is indistinguishable from the British product.

I never understand why people bring back olive oil. This is widely available at a good price in the UK, from a variety of Mediterranean areas, including Greece.

Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raki
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »
I never understand why people bring back olive oil. This is widely available at a good price in the UK, from a variety of Mediterranean areas, including Greece.

Mike

We get our Olive Oil given to us by our hosts and it is from their own olives and the best of the best as consumed only by the locals. Sorry but no product commercially even in Crete nor UK can come anywhere near it and to us it is like liquid gold. We did once bring Raki back and still have some left - it being used solely for the purpose of cleaning windows - and removing soiled spots off clothes for which it is an excellent product. It just didn't seem to taste the same back at home. Yesterday we bought a very strong lightweight very well sealed plastic container in a mountaineering shop which we will trust to hold our olive oil within our hold luggage. Local honey gives us similar problems.

John R