login

Author Topic: Request for info  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Request for info
« on: June 20, 2004, 12:26:07 PM »
I'm holidaying in Plakias for the first time this year, and was wondering if anyone out there could advise me on a couple of basics:

1. Arrival.  After the bus has dropped you off in town, how far is to walk to accomodation at the eastern end of the beach?

2. Crime.  What are the levels?  I mean, how safe is it to leave your things on the beach unattended while you go in to the sea for a dip, the taverna for a drink, etc.?

3. Insect life.  Are there any mosquitos (they love me, unfortunately), and, if so, how troublesome are they?

Thanks.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Request for info
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 02:35:41 PM »
Plakias is not large and the distance from center of town to far east of Plakias beach is not very far - quite walkable. Depends a little on your fitness / luggage but I see no problem you walking it. Most people walk it every day for their day on the beach.

I think anyone would have to advise wherever you are that you take normal care of possessions but Plakias must be one of the most crime free places around. No problem from locals and the visitors tend to be ok - viz quality of this chat forum. Personally I would be happy to leave normal type possessions while having a dip - others here may feel differently ??.

We have had no problems with insects when we go in early October but I understand that there can be a fairly normal quota of Mossys around at some times of the year.

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Request for info
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 05:44:58 PM »
I'd agree with John on each point. I would 10 mins walk from the bus stop to the far end of the beach. When we have been on the beach I've been quite happy leaving things while going for a dip. If going to a taverna, we would happily leave towels and other non valuable items. I have had only the odd bite when we go in September, certainly fewer than when we have been to other islands and also fewer than when we were on the northen coast.

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Request for info
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 11:16:39 AM »
If you are staying at the Peligrimnos I would be very surprised if your coach did not take you there. if not the coaches usualy drop of at the LAMON where a very nice gentleman (can't remember his name) will meet you with his pickup truck.
yes thats right a pickup truck (just part of the PLAKIAS charm) and drive you there.
As for crime in Plakias, forget it, in 12yrs I have only ever seen the police there twice, as for the beach and going for a dip, no problem, I don't know why it is but when you're on a naturist beach everyone around you tends to take care of each other, even if you don't know them.
As for mossies, I'm an imediate target, had the odd bite but not a problem, but be careful at the bridge in the middle of the village it can get bad there somtimes.
You did not say when you are going to paradise as we call it, we always go first 2 weeks in July so if you are there then, pop into the LAMON for a drink somtime, just ask for us.
HAPPY HOL'S  
John & Zell

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Request for info
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 05:25:03 PM »
Thanks John and Zell (and everybody else) for the information.

I am staying at the Paligremnos, and was wondering if the bus stopped nearby (on its way to Preveli?).  I'll ask the driver if he can drop me off there; if not, it doesn't matter: I can manage a ten-minute walk, as I plan to be only taking a rucksack.  (I'm sorry, I don't yet know where LAMON is in the scheme of things.)

I'm going in the first week of September so I won't be able to take you up on your kind invitation.  However, on your advice, I will be packing insect-repellent, just to be on the safe side!

Thank you everybody, once again.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Request for info
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 09:16:47 PM »
You sound as though you're what everyone used to do - arrive by bus with a rucksack. No one does it much now.

The Paligremnos is along the road at the back of the beach (which ends at the hotel) and this is not the road on which the bus arrvies. So get off at the terminus (near the Lamon Hotel anyway), walk back a little way then keep to your right and follow the beach. With a rucksack, you'll have no problem walking this distance.

Greecemad.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Request for info
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 07:28:37 PM »
Thanks, Greecemad, that was helpful.

I'll print this off, and take it with me!
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Caroline

• View Profile
    • Email
Request for info
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 12:33:57 PM »
We've been back home for a week now after our 4th or 5th trip to Plakias. We've stayed at the Paligremnos 3 times now and always walk into town in the evenings, or to the supermarket- it's a nice walk and not at all strenuous.

Things are a little different if the Meltemi is blowing......!

I can't believe our week went so quickly - and Plakias was as great as always.