login

Author Topic: Have I got a bargain?  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
Quote from: jann
I notice that a lot of you travel independently  to Plakias !  Is this really the best way ?

I paid £187 for a return flight with Monarch, Manchester to Heraklion, transfer and self catering accommodation at Kostas Chrysoulla with Olympic  (in  May) .

Hi Jann, I have travelled independently for the last 8 years , Even taking into account a taxi both ways, it was still cheaper, however checking this year it looks like I could save about £400,in total for Fran and I to go on a package, The down side for me is I always stay At Stella, and I would feel I was letting them down, but its quite a difference.....Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G
I notice that a lot of you travel independently  to Plakias !  Is this really the best way ?

I paid £187 for a return flight with Monarch, Manchester to Heraklion, transfer and self catering accommodation at Kostas Chrysoulla with Olympic  (in  May) .

Hi Jann, I have travelled independently for the last 8 years , Even taking into account a taxi both ways, it was still cheaper, however checking this year it looks like I could save about £400,in total for Fran and I to go on a package, The down side for me is I always stay At Stella, and I would feel I was letting them down, but its quite a difference.....Alex

Change of Plan, I have just booked a flight with jet2 from Manchester, for £225, including 22.5 kls luggage, so its back to Stella for me, That is if hes got a room, it seems very busy in Sept, I have only ever been in June.    Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G

There was extensive discussion on this topic several years ago. Both have their advocates and, of course, the accommodation choice is very limited with Olympic. I usually, but not exclusively, go alone and as I don't hire a car I couldn't get anywhere near the Olympic price by booking independently. Others hire a car for all their holiday so the transfer is basically the petrol cost.

I'm prepared to book early rather than try and get a late cheap deal but risk getting nothing.

I also like the ABTA protection. Some forum members had a very hard time as they were in Plakias when XL airline went belly up.

So you pay your money and take your choice but it does seem to me that this is one of the main exceptions to the rule that it is cheaper to cut out the middleman.

Right now I'm more concerned about the political/financial situation in Greece.

Mike

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »
Quote from: Mike G

Mike

Me too.  I wonder how it will affect things in Plakias.  There's even talk of Greece coming out of the euro and going back to the drachma.

Noopsy
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:15:17 PM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »

We have booked our Jet 2 flight for September 13th to Plakias from Manchester and are looking forward to our visit .
Lets hope that it is a bit warmer than May of this year !!!

But we are holding off booking a hire car or accommadation until we see what the situation in Greece turns in to.

We are unsure about what currency to take with us: pounds ?
                                                                            Euros ?
                                                                            US Dollars ?
                                                                            Drachma (heaven forbid !!)

Lets just hope that the situation does not result in industrial action which could affect air travel, fuel supply etc.

And we definitely will not re book for 2012 until much later than is usual for us.
Maybe even into next year ?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
Quote from: Daniel
Lets just hope that the situation does not result in industrial action which could affect air travel, fuel supply etc.

And we definitely will not re book for 2012 until much later than is usual for us.
Maybe even into next year ?

I suspect there will be problems as described above at some stage over the next few (many ?) months. It may be a matter of luck which of us will be affected and when. This forum may come into its own if/when there are any problems which spill over into directly affecting Plakias holidays. I'm trying not to worry too much but like you am holding off making a 2012 booking until I am more assured of the situation. Being utterly selfish - if their economy collapsed back into a drachma situation then after the initial chaos one outcome might be cheaper holidays again with respect to exchange rates.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500

Mike

Me too.  I wonder how it will affect things in Plakias.  There's even talk of Greece coming out of the euro and going back to the drachma.

Noopsy
Those booked to go yesterday won't have left yet owing to the 24 hr general strike and even tomorrow may be affected by the UK strikes. How many of them may decide on somewhere else for next year which will hardly help Greece get out of its plight.

I can understand Daniel's concerns. The Greek people are clearly not happy with their proposed further cuts and tax rises but it seems to me that none of the protesters have an alternative. If Greece defaults and leaves the Euro it will be dreadful for them (and it will affect us).

John R may well be right about the effects of a return to the drachma and its likely devaluation; however the price of anything imported (and Greece doesn't make a lot I think) would rocket.

Mike

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500

Mike

Me too. I wonder how it will affect things in Plakias. There's even talk of Greece coming out of the euro and going back to the drachma.

Noopsy
Those booked to go yesterday won't have left yet owing to the 24 hr general strike and even tomorrow may be affected by the UK strikes. How many of them may decide on somewhere else for next year which will hardly help Greece get out of its plight.

I can understand Daniel's concerns. The Greek people are clearly not happy with their proposed further cuts and tax rises but it seems to me that none of the protesters have an alternative. If Greece defaults and leaves the Euro it will be dreadful for them (and it will affect us).

John R may well be right about the effects of a return to the drachma and its likely devaluation; however the price of anything imported (and Greece doesn't make a lot I think) would rocket.

Mike

To put peoples minds at rest a little, no UK flights were effected that day, the strike was between certain hours & scheduled so all holiday flights coming in or out wouldn't be disrupted. Also on these days Plakias buses for Rethymno turned up & we left the day of the taxi strike no problem (just in an unmarked car!!)

From what people have been telling me since we've been home it seems once again media makes the situation look much worse than it actually was.

Rowena

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl
To put peoples minds at rest a little, no UK flights were effected that day, the strike was between certain hours & scheduled so all holiday flights coming in or out wouldn't be disrupted. Also on these days Plakias buses for Rethymno turned up & we left the day of the taxi strike no problem (just in an unmarked car!!)

From what people have been telling me since we've been home it seems once again media makes the situation look much worse than it actually was.

Rowena
Yes that is good news although concerns for future travellers (I'm one of them) remain as on previous general strikes the air traffic controllers have prevented any flights in either direction for a 24 hr period.

It would take a lot for me not to want to return to Plakias and Greece generally. However, many are equally happy to go anywhere in the Med. so would be much more easily put off by Greek unrest. Tourism is one thing the Greeks can do well and increasing it would help them dig themselves out of the financial hole they have got themselves into.

Mike