login

Author Topic: Where to eat 2012 ?  (Read 11240 times)

Offline SweHa

• View Profile
Where to eat 2012 ?
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »
Making my first posting here, I am from Sweden.

Me and my wife will be in Plakias in less than a week, it´s going to be two lovely weeks of relaxing, good food and lots of what we´ve been longing for all winter.

From what I understand, we should be careful if we choose the tavernas on the street closer to the beach, than the ones further up in the village. This will be our 15th trip to Greece, 3rd to Crete, many trips to the islands in the east, the west, Cyclades, you name them. Quiet a good view of what the Greek kitchen has to offer. We prefer starters, real local menue, no pasta, go-inside-to-watch-what´s-cooking-instead-of-international-menue-in-five-languages.

Anyone updated where the best food in Plakias can be found in June/July?

Greetings from SweHa

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
Re: Where to eat 2012 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:24:50 AM »
For a change, try Aponeaa...just as you leave plakias on road to Souda. Its slightly untidy, with a character, Stelios as owner, but food is good, vicious garlic bread, all cooked on ramshackle barbeque, using scrap olive wood. Elderly mother is very charming, very genuine people.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
Apanemo (Απανέμο).  Yes, the garlic bread is out of this world.  Unfortunately they don't do Mythos but Alfa is OK too.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »

Me and my wife will be in Plakias in less than a week, it´s going to be two lovely weeks of relaxing, good food and lots of what we´ve been longing for all winter.

From what I understand, we should be careful if we choose the tavernas on the street closer to the beach, than the ones further up in the village. This will be our 15th trip to Greece, 3rd to Crete, many trips to the islands in the east, the west, Cyclades, you name them. Quiet a good view of what the Greek kitchen has to offer. We prefer starters, real local menue, no pasta, go-inside-to-watch-what´s-cooking-instead-of-international-menue-in-five-languages.

I assume you have looked through the taverna reviews under the Articles button on the menu bar.

I understand what you you prefer, but I have not seen much "look at what's cooking in the kitchen" in Plakias. There are many very good tavernas with good Greek courses on offer, however. The town is not that big, so have a good look around, try a few and note your favourites. Lysseos, with Greek Cypriot cooking is high on my list.

Hope that helps and have a great holiday.

Mike

Greetings from SweHa

Offline SweHa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »
Thanks all !

Yes Mike, I have a printed copy of the reviews with me. Should be no problem finding what we are looking for. But things change from season to season, what was good (or bad) in 2011 could change either way. What´s been said about Apanemo sounds thrilling. Also, Tasomanolis and a couple of other places will be carefully investigated.

Our journey WILL BE great !

/ SweHa

Offline Plakiasnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
We have been going to Plakias 6 years and yes you are right there have been some "experiences" with some of the Restaurants that back onto the Beach. However one place that never fails to deliver is Lysseos near the Forum, next to the Bridge. If you are there next Tuesday evening you will witness myself getting my first helping of Pork Afelia this year ! It's not fancy, the food is simple and it isn't open at Lunchtime, go early as the specials sell very fast.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
We have been going to Plakias 6 years and yes you are right there have been some "experiences" with some of the Restaurants that back onto the Beach. However one place that never fails to deliver is Lysseos near the Forum, next to the Bridge. If you are there next Tuesday evening you will witness myself getting my first helping of Pork Afelia this year ! It's not fancy, the food is simple and it isn't open at Lunchtime, go early as the specials sell very fast.
Does the Lysseos do Fish dishes and good vegetarian as well as Meat?
Only asking as I eat meat but other half only fish and vegetarian, get some great Fish and vegetable dishes on Cypriot menus.
Hoping that we can eat together and not at separate Tavernas  ;)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »

Greetings from SweHa
I Know it is not in Plakias but Iliomanolis Taverna  invites you into the kitchen to choose what you would like to eat.
Not too far away, I am sure the regulars here can tell you all about it.
Iliomanolis Taverna 
Agios Vassilios | Kanevos, Plakias, Crete 74053, Greece.  Phone +30.28320.51053

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:00:59 AM »
Only asking as I eat meat but other half only fish and vegetarian, get some great Fish and vegetable dishes on Cypriot menus.

As an omnivore I have not really taken that much notice. I cannot remember having a fish dish other than tuna salad, but there were definitely veggy dishes available. I remember the tomato soup with great relish, a big bowl and full of vegetables. The tuna salad is enormous and would do as a main course. If you have it as a starter, you need to be a trencherman to then finish a main course.

Mike

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

As an omnivore I have not really taken that much notice. I cannot remember having a fish dish other than tuna salad, but there were definitely veggy dishes available. I remember the tomato soup with great relish, a big bowl and full of vegetables. The tuna salad is enormous and would do as a main course. If you have it as a starter, you need to be a trencherman to then finish a main course.

Mike
That sounds good to me. I really want to eat at the Lysseos but feared that my OH could not.
She walked past several times last September but She could only see meat dishes on the menu and specials board so did not try it.
She will be dragging me to the Gio-Ma the first night as that is her favourite, but I want to try the Lysseos and Kastro during our holiday.
John B & Michele.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure Lysseos offers vegetarian versions of dishes on the menu.  Certainly worth asking as the food in Lysseos is the best I'd say!

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »
We were  there in May & there are Vegetarian dishes...the food & servicse is very good.

Dave&Les

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »

can someone tell Lito's vegetarian cow joke?

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »
Just got back from Plakias to the cold and rain! Popped into Kastros for a coffee and the wife decided to try a piece of Baclava. If the rest of the food is as good as the baclava it should be a real treat! Didn't go for an evening meal 'cos I didn't want to drive and the road up there is a bit windy and narrow with no footpath for walking.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »
The quality of food at Kastro varies but is certainly worth trying.  People drive to get up there with no problems: I seem to be the only one who ever walks up there (from both west and east Plakias)!  If you don't mind a bit of exercise it is quite feasible, just keep to the side of the road!
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος