login

Author Topic: Escape the airport and live a little  (Read 15030 times)

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Escape the airport and live a little
« on: July 20, 2008, 06:05:05 PM »
Noticed multiple moans regarding the islands airports,so heres an alternative for you all.
Flt to Athens and then take a ferry,ok you dont have time you say.
Think about it,you get a day in Athens,top city and great people then catch the ferry circa 6pm.Sleep all the way to Rethimnon,if thats your fancy.The view from the sea as you close in on Crete is outstanding.the best way to visit the place in my opinion.Its not that dear and a great experience you will always remember.
Just do it!

Offline Cecile-Ines

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »
Quote from: dimitri
Noticed multiple moans regarding the islands airports,so heres an alternative for you all.
Flt to Athens and then take a ferry,ok you dont have time you say.
Think about it,you get a day in Athens,top city and great people then catch the ferry circa 6pm.Sleep all the way to Rethimnon,if thats your fancy.The view from the sea as you close in on Crete is outstanding.the best way to visit the place in my opinion.Its not that dear and a great experience you will always remember.
Just do it!
[color="#9932CC"][/color][font="Comic Sans MS"][/font][size="3"][/size]
This is an excellent idea, Dimitri!   There`s nearly always a different way of doing things;  it just takes a little imagination.  I can imagine that slowly drifting towards Rethymno on a ferry would be a marvellous way to arrive, and then just a short bus trip to Plakias.  

Why live a little when you can live a lot!  Go out on a limb - isn`t that where the fruit is?

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »
I like your idea Dimitri and one I would consider if I had more time. Unfortunately I only get 20 days holiday per year and each one is very precious.

Maybe when I take early retirement, I might just do that. Having sailed in to other greek islands by boat, I know just how beautiful it can be.  

Susan

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
We used the ferry when we went to Ios, had a dreadfull trip down there, had to sit on the blazing hot deck with all the rucksacks and animated sleeping bags, tried going inside but couldn't breath.

So on the way back I went and saw the purser, and asked to be transfered to First class. We had our own sunbed to lay on on the open deck and a waiter service bringing us drinks while we watched the purpoises swimming alongside the boat. We even had our own resturant, which was very nice and the food there was excellent. A very pleasant 6 hour trip!

I'd recommend this to anyone, the trip back was an absolute delight. Ok, it was a bit pricey, but it was so worth every drachma. Besides, you're on holiday, and if you have the time, go for it!!

george g...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:54:04 AM by George »

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:38:48 PM »
The ferry is worth every bean,i have seen both sides the deck and first class,both have their rewards.When you sail into view of Crete it is an awsome site ,you know what the ancients felt as it hoves into view.

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:50:36 AM »
I always used to take the ferry - deck class of course - in my backpacking days.  I once took the boat from Athens all the way to Cyprus.  Yes it was a fun experience, I felt like Odysseus exploring the wine-dark sea (well not quite, perhaps).  I would certainly consider it again if I was going for a longer trip.  And yes, Athens is a great city.

BTW dimitri, where in E Sussex are you based? Are we neighbours?

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:02:41 PM »
If I get any more aggro from Olympic Airways   this is an option I, for one, will certainly consider.  What are the sailing times, prices for first class, and duration of the sailing?  How easy is it to get to the port from Athens Airport?

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
Quote from: Rodger
I felt like Odysseus exploring the wine-dark sea (well not quite, perhaps).

Oh yes!  we have been catching up on our classics !
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:55:53 PM by harribobs »

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
I felt like Odysseus exploring the wine-dark sea (well not quite, perhaps).

Oh yes!  we have been catching up on our classics !

From the Odyssey

"Hunger is insolent, and will be fed."

--Book 7, line 300

So off to Babi's for the spicey pork!  
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
the boat always left Piraeus at six pm in my day and got to Crete at six in the morning,the cost on deck was next to nothing in Drax and the cabins were cheap also.I even took a car on two occasions!
I used to drive to italy catch the boat there to Patras then to Athens and on to Crete.Did it twice by car and  it was an epic drive,still brings a tear to the wifes eye.
Things were cheap back in the day,Greek salad 60 drax anyone?bottle of amstell 80 drax,aahhhh cheap holidays in other peoples miseries as the sex pistols said.
I used to get paid 40,ooo drax a month at the calypso hotel and free food and board. Room shared with 4 others in season single in winter.Bet the tight bastards dont pay a lot more now.
I think a night in the youth hostel was 400 drax or free if you sneaked in after a few drinks in plak.

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
I always used to take the ferry - deck class of course - in my backpacking days.  I once took the boat from Athens all the way to Cyprus.  Yes it was a fun experience, I felt like Odysseus exploring the wine-dark sea (well not quite, perhaps).  I would certainly consider it again if I was going for a longer trip.  And yes, Athens is a great city.

BTW dimitri, where in E Sussex are you based? Are we neighbours?
cant say dodger,were you there in the 80"s?

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
It's very easy to get from the airport to the port, 1 bus, you need to get you ticket before you get on the bus.  Unfortunately they now only have the fast boat going to Rethymno which is costing about 70 euros a trip so not quite the cheap transport it. It's possible to find the details on the Anek Line website

Al

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59:53 AM »
It's very easy to get from the airport to the port, 1 bus, you need to get you ticket before you get on the bus.  Unfortunately they now only have the fast boat going to Rethymno which is costing about 70 euros a trip so not quite the cheap transport it. It's possible to find the details on the Anek Line website

Al

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
Thanks Ali.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 09:59:38 AM »
This suggestion seems to imply that Athens airport is more efficient than other Greek airports, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it. Is this true (I've never been there)? My experience of many Greek airports (island and other) is that they are pretty well as bad as one another and make Gatwick look like a model of efficiency.

On another airport related theme, is a 15kg luggage allowance the norm now for package airlines and tour operators? From what I have seen it is, although most are offering an extra 5kg for varying fees (£3.99 from Olympic and £15 from Manos). As I have a problem making 20kg, let alone 15kg, from my perspective it is just another charge, although some are dressing it up as a "green" measure.

Mike