login

Author Topic: Driving To Plakias In The Night  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Worksopdave

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Driving To Plakias In The Night
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »
Before I get to my question we would like give a massive thank you to all the wonderful people who have given advice and reviews of Plakias, after reading the messages we went ahead and we have booked for 14days in June staying at the Gio-ma .We have hired our car through Alianthos which we are picking up at Heraklion.
Thompson have changed our flight times so instead of arriving at 14.30 and driving down in daylight we now don’t arrive untill 20:30 so it looks like I will driving down in the dark. So my questions are -:                                                                                              

1) How bad is the road through the mountains.

2) I have bought a good map but is it easy to get lost.

Looking forward to 15th of June If anyone will be there over that period let me know and we can down a couple of bottles of Mythos

Thanks David & Janet

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:25:34 AM »
Quote from: Worksopdave

Looking forward to 15th of June If anyone will be there over that period let me know and we can down a couple of bottles of Mythos

Thanks David & Janet

Hi

We have driven to Plakias at night for the last several years.

There is no problem re varying road quality etc - the mountains are no different from the none mountains - indeed with it being dark you might hardly notice that you are going over mountains or driving through deep gorges.

One advantage of driving at hight is that the roads are fairly quite - possible very quiet.

Navigation is your only problem if you have not done it before. We nearly do it with our eyes shut but I can see some minor difficulties for a first timer.

Setting off from the airport is easy (Heraklion anyway). You drive away from the airport and a few hundred yards later make an easy right turn on to the main east/west highway. You simply drive on that all the way to Rethymnon (no urban roads at all). The left turn outside Rethymnon can be missed in the dark. It is actually a right hand slip road off the dual carriage way (You then turn left to go under the main road). It is very well signed with amongst other things (I forget !!) Preveli and Spili signed on it. However I always find that in the dark the slip road seems a bit small and insignificant for such a major turnoff - in the dark anyway.

Assuming you get down that slip road you then turn left (under the main highway) to drive west towards the west coast. This road is perfectly ok and straightforward.

Problems - if any  - might start when you turn right off that road to Plakias. You have a choice of two right hand turns - fairly close to each other. The first is signed to Sfakia (and/or Selia ??) and I think it is better for you to ignore that and take the second right turn about 1km later (signed to Preveli - and perhaps Plakias - not sure about Plakias though)

It is on this very last part of the route that you need to navigate carefully as there are some dark night time alternatives to go wrong on. Signs to Asomatos and Lefkogia and Plakias are healthy if/when they exist !!. Following Prevelli signs is also a very good idea EXCEPT for the final turn off to Prevelli which you must not take. The problem is how do you know it is the last turn off  and I can't really describe it !!. It is however a distinct left turn to Prevelli. Unfortunately we know this section of road so well by memory now that it is difficult for us to remember the signage and landmarks. Perhaps someone else can come in and help for this last very short section.

All in all it is a very easy journey in the dark. Just take your time. The mountains and gorges present no difficulties whatsoever - dark or daytime. Oh - ask the hire company to make sure there is enough fuel in the car for the journey. We picked one up one year with dubious amount and thankfully fouind a garage still open but we were lucky.

Have a great time - we really enjoy driving out there. Drive 100% defensively and you will be ok - assume the locals may be  overtaking when coming towards you and when that happens on the main East west highway you are supposed to drive on the hard shoulder to avoid them - same when being overtaken.

John R

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:33:42 AM by John R »

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:47:26 AM »
Quote from: John R

Thanks David & Janet

Hi

We have driven to Plakias at night for the last several years.

There is no problem re varying road quality etc - the mountains are no different from the none mountains - indeed with it being dark you might hardly notice that you are going over mountains or driving through deep gorges.

One advantage of driving at hight is that the roads are fairly quite - possible very quiet.

Navigation is your only problem if you have not done it before. We nearly do it with our eyes shut but I can see some minor difficulties for a first timer.

Setting off from the airport is easy (Heraklion anyway). You drive away from the airport and a few hundred yards later make an easy right turn on to the main east/west highway. You simply drive on that all the way to Rethymnon (no urban roads at all). The left turn outside Rethymnon can be missed in the dark. It is actually a right hand slip road off the dual carriage way (You then turn left to go under the main road). It is very well signed with amongst other things (I forget !!) Preveli and Spili signed on it. However I always find that in the dark the slip road seems a bit small and insignificant for such a major turnoff - in the dark anyway.

Assuming you get down that slip road you then turn left (under the main highway) to drive west towards the west coast. This road is perfectly ok and straightforward.

Problems - if any  - might start when you turn right off that road to Plakias. You have a choice of two right hand turns - fairly close to each other. The first is signed to Sfakia (and/or Selia ??) and I think it is better for you to ignore that and take the second right turn about 1km later (signed to Preveli - and perhaps Plakias - not sure about Plakias though)

It is on this very last part of the route that you need to navigate carefully as there are some dark night time alternatives to go wrong on. Signs to Asomatos and Lefkogia and Plakias are healthy if/when they exist !!. Following Prevelli signs is also a very good idea EXCEPT for the final turn off to Prevelli which you must not take. The problem is how do you know it is the last turn off  and I can't really describe it !!. It is however a distinct left turn to Prevelli. Unfortunately we know this section of road so well by memory now that it is difficult for us to remember the signage and landmarks. Perhaps someone else can come in and help for this last very short section.

All in all it is a very easy journey in the dark. Just take your time. The mountains and gorges present no difficulties whatsoever - dark or daytime. Oh - ask the hire company to make sure there is enough fuel in the car for the journey. We picked one up one year with dubious amount and thankfully fouind a garage still open but we were lucky.

Have a great time - we really enjoy driving out there. Drive 100% defensively and you will be ok - assume the locals may be  overtaking when coming towards you and when that happens on the main East west highway you are supposed to drive on the hard shoulder to avoid them - same when being overtaken.

John R

John gave excellent directions, I would just add a few things. Once you are past the George and through the next village- Assomatos, you will reach a fork which you must take left-the sign says Plakias but be mindful of it. Once you make that left, always stay right- on the same road-do not make any left turns until you reach a  fork which shows Myrthios to the right and Plakias to the left- Take the left and you will role into Plakias- Good luck-
Santa

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
Before I get to my question we would like give a massive thank you to all the wonderful people who have given advice and reviews of Plakias, after reading the messages we went ahead and we have booked for 14days in June staying at the Gio-ma .We have hired our car through Alianthos which we are picking up at Heraklion.
Thompson have changed our flight times so instead of arriving at 14.30 and driving down in daylight we now don’t arrive untill 20:30 so it looks like I will driving down in the dark. So my questions are -:                                                                                              

Thanks David & Janet

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »
very good directions from John, just to expand a tad

the time on the national road (the main highway) from the airport to the Spilli turning (also might be signposted as Tymbaki, by the way) is approx one hour, from there to plakias, say another 30 minutes (dependant of course on your speed  )

my advise, take it easy and don't be bullied into driving faster than you want to by other impatient buggers behind you!

Offline Worksopdave

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »
Many thanks to you all for the advice, hopefully we will now get to Plakias without getting lost

Only 15 weeks to go before we go!!!!!!

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »

Thanks David & Janet

Excellent directions from John and Harribobs - they have covered it all. I would like to add that Harribobs last paragraph should be engraved on your mind !.
I will be back in Plakias from 10th June so maybe take you both up on a glass. You say when and where and see you there !

regards,
Heather . travellingran.

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
Quote from: travellingran

Thanks David & Janet

Excellent directions from John and Harribobs - they have covered it all. I would like to add that Harribobs last paragraph should be engraved on your mind !.
I will be back in Plakias from 10th June so maybe take you both up on a glass. You say when and where and see you there !

regards,
Heather . travellingran.

Have a safe journey see you on the 17th June!

Rowena & Carl