login

Author Topic: What is it like in Plakias in November?  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
What is it like in Plakias in November?
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »
I am currently off work, while I recuperate from a long-term illness, and am considering spending a few days in Plakias since I have the opportunity.

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts based on personal experience. I can check the likely weather on Google, but I am thinking more about the general 'feel', compared to May or September when I usually visit, for example which tavernas may be open, how busy is it (quiet I'd guess, but I don't know), and any other comments really.

I've been travelling to Plakias for over 20 years - yes, I know, some of you will think that I'm a mere newcomer :) - and I suppose I am just trying to avoid being disappointed for the first time.

Many thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:58:51 PM by Richard »

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
Re: What is it like in Plakias in November?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »
I,m coming out for 10 days on wed, I expect it be be quiet, some places will have closed and some will be closing. don't expect sun beds on the beach, very laid back but library ect still open. Will post after arrival

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »
Many thanks!

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 05:01:12 PM »
It was a few years ago, but I enjoyed a holiday in Plakias in early November. The place is very different - quiet and peaceful. There were a few supermarkets open, and several tavernas - including Sifis of course! Ostraco was open, and full of relaxed locals.
Best of all for me, the beach was beautiful - no sunbeds, and I enjoyed a swim every day, as the sea was still warm. It did get a little chilly in the evenings, but that didn't worry me!
I'd say go for it, and you won't be disappointed.
John - Ostraco

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:25:31 PM »
Thanks Ostraco - I believe that the sea is actually at its warmest in November!
I don't bother with sunbeds so not a problem. As long as there's somewhere to eat-out if I feel like it, or buy food to eat in, then all is good.

Richard

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:36 PM »
I returned from Plakias, 5th November, enjoyed two weeks. Upon reflection, had a great time, only one day's poor weather...which was really bad, gale force winds and torrential rain, flooding in Chania ect. None of this appeared in any of the forecasts (BBC, Meteo,etc.) The nearest they got was “showers” The local news reported  a “Mediterranean Tornado”

Approximately 75% of Plakias had either closed or were in the process of closing, sun loungers were being pressure washed, restaurants emptied of tables and chairs, freezers defrosted, and black plastic bags were taped over light fittings. But those who remained were more relaxed, lots of family visits and dining out,

The sea was warm, beaches empty (both people and umbrellas). Most of the vegetation was desiccated, but lots of activity picking the olives.

All of which asks the question “ Should the season be longer?” At the moment the controlling factor appears to be the stopping of charter and low cost carrier flights to Northern Europe. I have on one occasion come back via ferry and a flight from Athens, but talking to expats , they tell me fly Crete to Athens , then change flights to UK. It works out not much dearer than direct flights and the connections are reasonable. I suspect that the lengthening of the season is a chicken/egg problem, but I would be interested in hearing other opinions...please post

Offline Cecile-Ines

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
I stayed in Myrthios for a winter some years ago, and it is the time for everyone to refresh themselves after spending the whole summer season working every day for long hours.  Although the idea of extending the season sounds good, spare a thought for those who are waiting for a precious day off!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 02:11:27 PM »

All of which asks the question “ Should the season be longer?” At the moment the controlling factor appears to be the stopping of charter and low cost carrier flights to Northern Europe. I have on one occasion come back via ferry and a flight from Athens, but talking to expats , they tell me fly Crete to Athens , then change flights to UK. It works out not much dearer than direct flights and the connections are reasonable. I suspect that the lengthening of the season is a chicken/egg problem, but I would be interested in hearing other opinions...please post
I quite agree that the season should be longer and I'm sure the business owners would love it. However the trend over the last 10 or more years has been for the tour operators to shorten the season. The season in Crete (and Rhodes) is one of the longest in Greece but in some other islands it ends in mid September. While in Kos last month I was told of an ambitious plan for a new airport there and an effort to extend the season to about 8 months. I wish them luck.

I was also told a few years ago in Plakias by a resident that the weather there is often better in November than October.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
We had a lovely holiday at the end of October once.  Usually it is isn't possible to get away to Greece at October half-term (sorry being very parochial - I should say the time when most English schools have half-term).  After this year we won't be limited to school holidays, but for the sake of others, it would be good if the last package flight back could be after the half-term holidays.  After that I think that the locals deserve to enjoy the beach, the sea and the weather to themselves. They need a break too.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 07:32:09 PM »
Many thanks, everyone, for the informative, considered, and helpful replies. I couldn't arrange a trip in the end for health reasons, but am now seriously thinking of doing so at a similar time next year, which I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

Any 'negatives' pointed out seem to be positive for me and my wife, the reason we like the place but accentuated!

Well, fingers crossed.

Best wishes to all, Richard