Author Topic: Small Planet Airlines  (Read 18460 times)

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Small Planet Airlines
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:47:36 AM »
We do tend to travel as light as poss, but once snorkelling equipment, toiletries & suncreams are added to the bare minium of clothes, we do need a case. 

However we have plenty of spare allowance on return to load case with plastic bottles of the village wine (well wrapped in towels and dirty clothes) to bring back and enjoy!!!

Yamass
 ;)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
We have gone independent for many years now as we used to hate the long transfers with Olympic and have had many which lasted well over 3 hours!
We contact the apartment owner by email.
Book flights with Jet2 which have always been excellent & without a hitch.
Hire a car from Just Car Rentals for the duration, excellent service and no hidden charges.
Last time we got off the plane, reclaimed our luggage and were in our hire car in less than 40 mins.
The drive over takes between 1.5 & 2 hours depending on traffic but it is very straightforward and it couldn't be easier.
Going independent may work out more expensive but it gives you so much freedom.
Also having the car gives us the option to visit the surrounding countryside or go on excursions if the wind gets too strong.
We met a family during our stay who had flew with Small Planet from Birmingham and had lost a full day of their holiday due to last minute flight changes, they were dreading the return flight and were constantly having to check to make sure it was still on!
I totally agree with everything you said there PL and I've not used a travel company for many years either. To email the apartments for vacancies and booking a flight is so easy and like you I pick up a car from the airport (using 'Just') and returned it to the airport when I left...... and I got a flight to Chania which in my opinion is much prefered than Heraklion.
It is more expensive, but the freedom is there to organise your own holiday and to have transport waiting for you at the airport gets you to Plakias in no time. I always get an early morning flight out, then I can get into the room, get organised and be out on the town by 3-4.00pm and settle in nicely.
I could possible use an agent again, but I would always get a car for the transfers and have the availability of it for two weeks. (I hate that bus transfer, it took 4 hours once it was yuk!)
Highly recomended, but it can be costly, but not excessively so! There's only the one agent from the UK going to Plakias now and if they withdraw..... private travelling can be fun and to have the freedom it gives you makes the holiday so much more satisfying.

Kali taxidi

george...

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »
We have also made our own arrangements in recent years, since the choice of operators diminished to just Olympic and also having realised that the flexibility of making one's own arrangements really does make for a better holiday, for us at least.

This year, we booked with Olympic as a last minute decision that, in retrospect, I really regret. It wasn't that much cheaper, either. Booking an apartment directly and either hiring a car at Heraklion or having the apartment owner book a reasonably priced taxi, works well and is a nice start to the holiday.

Having travelled elsewhere in Greece using the excellent and reasonably priced public transport - even on tine islands - I don't know why we haven't done this for trips to Plakias. I agree whole-heartedly with the post somewhere above where Mike makes the point that it adds to the enjoyment of the holiday. We will be back late in September, think we might try this.

Richard

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
Hi.....have just been advised that our flights have been altered from mid evening to 11.20am on the 17th Sept from South terminal at Gatwick to Heraklion with flight no QS3054. I cannot find any reference to these flights on the Gatwick site or, for that matter, on any of the usual travel sites.......anyone any idea as to which company this refers to ?
Although we don't mind getting to Plakias a little sooner than planned, we are now having to completely rearrange all our travel plans ( with the additional costs !) as getting to Gatwick in time to check in will be impossible on the day and we're going to have to stay overnight when we leave and when we get back...so much for 'no hidden costs' !

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »
I believe QS refers to Travel Service of the Czech Republic. Never flown with them so cannot comment further, sorry.

Have a good holiday (I hope!)

M<ike

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 07:09:01 AM »
We are flying from Leeds/Bradford on 14th Sept. with Olympic.
Flight No. starts with ZB  ???
Anyone else going from here or know much about the airline company ??
 Thanks

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 07:59:49 AM »
ZB is Monarch airlines.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Mike is right, QS flights are Travel Services. I've just had my flights changed from 0955 P7487 Small Planet to 1120 Travel Services QS 3054. I'm happy not to be flying with Small Planet but annoyed that we will get to Plakias 1hr 30 mins later. Also I will hit the M25 road works during the rush hour! On my flight amendment letter though it still shows the return flight as P7488 at 1650. This is rubbish as you  normally always return on the same plane that you arrive on. Gatwick arrivals show this as QS 3055 (Travel Services). Olympic really are hopeless!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Interesting.....the changes mean that we actually get to Plakias on the 17th and not at about 05.30 on the 18th......feels a bit like we're all being herded on to one plane so I hope the flight is OK. Thanks for the feedback !

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
ZB is Monarch airlines.

Barny.

Thank's Barny

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
Mike is right, QS flights are Travel Services. I've just had my flights changed from 0955 P7487 Small Planet to 1120 Travel Services QS 3054. I'm happy not to be flying with Small Planet but annoyed that we will get to Plakias 1hr 30 mins later. Also I will hit the M25 road works during the rush hour! On my flight amendment letter though it still shows the return flight as P7488 at 1650. This is rubbish as you  normally always return on the same plane that you arrive on. Gatwick arrivals show this as QS 3055 (Travel Services). Olympic really are hopeless!
Hello Grahame,

With Olympic you can't assume you will return on the flight you arrived on.

As has been said on this forum many times, Olympic using "Mickey Mouse" airlines Ltd (with apologies to Walt Disney) is doing their reputation no good at all and if they have any business sense at all they will address it.

Don't expect any compensation by the way.

Mike

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »
Hello Grahame,

With Olympic you can't assume you will return on the flight you arrived on.

As has been said on this forum many times, Olympic using "Mickey Mouse" airlines Ltd (with apologies to Walt Disney) is doing their reputation no good at all and if they have any business sense at all they will address it.

Don't expect any compensation by the way.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Totally agree with you. Olympic have ruined so many peoples holidays this year by using rubbish airlines. Unfortunately, if you do not want to go to Plakias independently then Olympic are the only option, and you can often get a very good deal. On my last two bookings with them they have changed both the carrier and the flight time! It was a shame that First Choice pulled out as I never had any problems with them. It wouldn't surprise me if Olympic go under, they have had so many complaints this year with people stating that they would never book with them again! Small Planet Airlines are liable for massive payouts for delays but will probably get away with it being based in Lithuainia/Poland.
Grahame

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »
Small Planet Airlines are liable for massive payouts for delays but will probably get away with it being based in Lithuainia/Poland.
Grahame

Shouldn't do as they are an EU airline.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Hi.....have just been advised that our flights have been altered from mid evening to 11.20am on the 17th Sept from South terminal at Gatwick to Heraklion with flight no QS3054. I cannot find any reference to these flights on the Gatwick site or, for that matter, on any of the usual travel sites.......anyone any idea as to which company this refers to ?
Although we don't mind getting to Plakias a little sooner than planned, we are now having to completely rearrange all our travel plans ( with the additional costs !) as getting to Gatwick in time to check in will be impossible on the day and we're going to have to stay overnight when we leave and when we get back...so much for 'no hidden costs' !

I received an e-mail from Olympic today announcing that they have "teamed up" with Germania and Travel Service. Germania operating Airbus A319s out of Manchester and Gatwick and Travel Service A Boeing 737-800 out of Gatwick. I wonder how stable the team up will be?

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »
I'm going to be happier once I get to Gatwick and see the flight on the boards...at the moment, Gatwick's departures schedule doesn't appear to have anything for 11.20 on the 17th but Olympic Holidays have confirmed they do.......I'll leave it to you to decide but we're turning up anyway !!!