Author Topic: From Heraklion Airport to Plakias by bus  (Read 23455 times)

Offline AmstelBier

• View Profile
From Heraklion Airport to Plakias by bus
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:18:19 PM »
The end of this month my son wants to travel to Plakias and because he arrives early in the morning at Heraklion airport, he wants to do the transfer to Rethymno and Plakias by busses. But it's so confusing with two bus stations.

Last year I did the same and took the first bus from the airport which came along to Heraklion city, I guess bus no: 1 or 78. Is there a difference? I told the driver that I wanted to go to Rethymno by bus and he dropped me somewhere in the city, I have no idea where exactly and started to walk and asked for the bus station. I think that I ended up at bus station A, nearby the harbor. From that station there was no bus to Rethymno, but after 15 minutes somebody could tell me that the bus was just passing by outside the station. That was at a major crossing, with a fly-over in the shape of a nice arch.

Is there somebody who recognizes this? But still are the two most important questions, if you take the bus from the airport to Heraklion, and you stay until the bus station, do you always end up at bus station A, nearby the harbor? Is that the wrong bus station for busses to Rethymno, but that bus passes along like I described?
Does somebody have a good description for the easiest way to connect from the airport bus to the Rethymno bus?

Kind regards,

Henk

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »
Quote from: AmstelBier
The end of this month my son wants to travel to Plakias and because he arrives early in the morning at Heraklion airport, he wants to do the transfer to Rethymno and Plakias by busses. But it's so confusing with two bus stations.

Last year I did the same and took the first bus from the airport which came along to Heraklion city, I guess bus no: 1 or 78. Is there a difference? I told the driver that I wanted to go to Rethymno by bus and he dropped me somewhere in the city, I have no idea where exactly and started to walk and asked for the bus station. I think that I ended up at bus station A, nearby the harbor. From that station there was no bus to Rethymno, but after 15 minutes somebody could tell me that the bus was just passing by outside the station. That was at a major crossing, with a fly-over in the shape of a nice arch.

Is there somebody who recognizes this? But still are the two most important questions, if you take the bus from the airport to Heraklion, and you stay until the bus station, do you always end up at bus station A, nearby the harbor? Is that the wrong bus station for busses to Rethymno, but that bus passes along like I described?
Does somebody have a good description for the easiest way to connect from the airport bus to the Rethymno bus?

Kind regards,

Henk

Henk,

From the airport you need to take bus no. 1 into Heralkion/Iraklion. I think it is the only bus route from the airport and the buses run very frequently. Unfortunately it does not run to Bus Station A (on the east side of the city), which is what you need for the Rethymnon buses. If you ask the driver, he will tell where to get off and should tell you which direction to walk in. In any case, you need to head off to the right, towards the sea. It would be handy, though, to have a map which shows the bus station. The bus station is on the opposite side of a dual carriageway to the harbour. You have to buy tickets inside the bus station building and then find the stop for buses going to Rethymnon and Chania.

The change in Rethymnon is much simpler - the Plakias bus leaves from the same bus station where the bus from Iraklion arrives.

Reading your post it sounds as though you may have ended up at Bus Station B (on the west side of the city), which is where the Matala and Aghia Galini buses leave from. The Rethymnon/Chania buses don't leave from this bus station but they do pass close to it and stop by the city wall. If you know what you are doing and know what times the buses are, I think you can probably get off the airport bus here and change onto a Rethymnon bus at the same stop. You can certainly do this in reverse.    

Greecemad
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:39:50 PM by Greecemad »

Offline AmstelBier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »
Thank you Greecemad,

My son is leaving at the night from Wednesday to Thursday , I hope that he will manage it. Anyway he has time, because he arrives early.

Shall we encourage the Crete authorities to let the bus from the airport stop at both stations  ?

Kind regards,

Henk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:15:06 PM by AmstelBier »

Offline aniabr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:10 PM »
I have also a question is tehere a bus Plakias Heraklion withouth any stops during travel? and how much I will pay for taxi from Heraklion to Plakias?

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
Quote from: aniabr
I have also a question is tehere a bus Plakias Heraklion withouth any stops during travel? and how much I will pay for taxi from Heraklion to Plakias?
see 2 posts above yours.      

A small search on the Forum will give you your info.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:00:19 PM by steven »
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline aniabr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:50:59 AM »
Quote from: steven
see 2 posts above yours.      

A small search on the Forum will give you your info.

but these answers mean that there is no 1 bus...

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:41:57 AM »

Aniabr,

You can not get a bus from Heraklion to Plakias. You have to take one bus from Heraklion to Rethymnon and then you take another bus from Rethymnon to Plakias.

Greecemad

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad

Aniabr,

You can not get a bus from Heraklion to Plakias. You have to take one bus from Heraklion to Rethymnon and then you take another bus from Rethymnon to Plakias.

Greecemad

75 to 80 Euro's for a taxi

Rowena

Offline aniabr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl
Quote from: Greecemad

Aniabr,

Greecemad

75 to 80 Euro's for a taxi

Rowena

too expensive for me:( well I can also rent a car btw do You have good organisation on the roads I mean I won't lost somewhere?java script:bbc_pop()
Help BB Code Help

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
too expensive for me:( well I can also rent a car btw do You have good organisation on the roads I mean I won't lost somewhere?java script:bbc_pop()
Help BB Code Help
Easy peasy aniabr, from the airport drive south to the coast road, Take a left until Rethymnon, then take another left and follow the signs for Plakias.

You won't get lost!!  

george g...

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
Quote from: George
]
Easy peasy aniabr, from the airport drive south to the coast road, Take a left until Rethymnon.

You won't get lost!!  

george g...

Er - I always turn right to Rethymnon on leaving Heraklion airport  - it works for me - and I don't get lost ???

John R

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »
You're absolutely correct John  , should have left it to you, if I remember rightly you put a pretty good description of the route on here somewhere!

george g...

Offline aniabr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »
You're absolutely correct John  , should have left it to you, if I remember rightly you put a pretty good description of the route on here somewhere!

george g...

So from Heraklio I should turn right or to left? I don't know now...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »

george g...

Go with John R (i.e. right).

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »

george g...

Take notice of what John says aniabr he's done that trip a lot more times than I have!   Right!!

george g...