Author Topic: 2006 season in Plakias  (Read 29843 times)

Offline Karen T

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2006, 04:03:01 PM »
[attachment=352:attachment]
Many thanks for your replies. 

Does the path start behind the Paligremnos?

Roll on June - Timos Stavros here I come.

er depends on how you look at it. You could walk the whole distance from Plakias and back but that is rather a long way (not impossible for those VERY keen and fit folks)

We parked our car in the village of Lefkogia which is in effect at the base of the hill.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or take the car a little way out from Levkoyia and park at the chapel at the bottom of Timeos Stavros for an even shorter walk!

Karen

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 10:01:21 AM »
Those about to visit might find some of my 2006 observations of interest.

1. Little had changed.   A few more buildings starting to appear but nothing too major. I don't know where the people to fill them are coming from though.

2. The Olympic transfers were much better than 2005. I timed the outward one at 65 mins from touchdown to coach departure and then 2 hr 10 min until arrival in Plakias. A taxi would have been €78 each way.

3. The season seemed late starting. The Donut Man started work on 16 May and there was no train yet.

4. Chairs were again allowed on the promenade between Arga to Ostraco, much improving the ambience for their customers.

5. Apollo, that featured in Kosmar when their 2006 brochure was first published, to be replaced by Kostas Chrysoulla, was closed initially but was virtually up and running by the time we left (23 May). A Czech firm is using it apparently and Kosmar pulled out as standards had fallen.

6. There was only an AM bus to Rethymnon (other than 7.00am) on a Sat/Sun, when it ran at 9.30am.

7. Prices in general seemed no more than 2005    The obvious exception was fuel (unleaded ca. €1.10 and diesel ca. €1.05).

8. Drainage pipes were being installed behind the main beach on the way to the far end in two places.  

9. The weather was wonderful. A bit windy at times and hot towards the end. BBC World predicted 36C for Crete for 21 May. Don't know if Plakias reached this but it was hot. Rain? No, that was left in the UK.

10. Thanks are due to John R for the walk on the new track from Souda to Rodakino and also that Tesco vouchers can be used at 4X their value for airport parking. Don't leave it too late though as the procedure is a bit lengthy.  Also,  APH then lowered their price after we have sent off the vouchers and then the Royal Mail lost the parking confirmation.  Still, it was worth it as we parked effectively for £14.

11. The new villas Sheryl told us about are obviously luxurious but are not in a good position. There is significant development in the area and those returning to Dora Apts (the front apts with the yellow balconies) will find their views are significantly worse caused by a new construction.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 10:47:34 AM by Mike G »

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 12:31:33 PM »

1. Little had changed.   A few more buildings starting to appear but nothing too major. I don't know where the people to fill them are coming from though.

2. The Olympic transfers were much better than 2005. I timed the outward one at 65 mins from touchdown to coach departure and then 2 hr 10 min until arrival in Plakias. A taxi would have been €78 each way.

3. The season seemed late starting. The Donut Man started work on 16 May and there was no train yet.

4. Chairs were again allowed on the promenade between Arga to Ostraco, much improving the ambience for their customers.

5. Apollo, that featured in Kosmar when their 2006 brochure was first published, to be replaced by Kostas Chrysoulla, was closed initially but was virtually up and running by the time we left (23 May). A Czech firm is using it apparently and Kosmar pulled out as standards had fallen.

6. There was only an AM bus to Rethymnon (other than 7.00am) on a Sat/Sun, when it ran at 9.30am.

7. Prices in general seemed no more than 2005    The obvious exception was fuel (unleaded ca. €1.10 and diesel ca. €1.05).

8. Drainage pipes were being installed behind the main beach on the way to the far end in two places.   

9. The weather was wonderful. A bit windy at times and hot towards the end. BBC World predicted 36C for Crete for 21 May. Don't know if Plakias reached this but it was hot. Rain? No, that was left in the UK.

10. Thanks are due to John R for the walk on the new track from Souda to Rodakino and also that Tesco vouchers can be used at 4X their value for airport parking. Don't leave it too late though as the procedure is a bit lengthy.  Also,  APH then lowered their price after we have sent off the vouchers and then the Royal Mail lost the parking confirmation.  Still, it was worth it as we parked effectively for £14.

11. The new villas Sheryl told us about are obviously luxurious but are not in a good position. There is significant development in the area and those returning to Dora Apts (the front apts with the yellow balconies) will find their views are significantly worse caused by a new construction.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 12:36:22 PM »
Mike, How were the rooms at Kostas? I've booked for August 29 and have put a request for "not rooms 56 & 62" ! What is this new track from Souda to Rodakino, start , length etc.
I'm glad that not a lot has changed. I haven't ben back since First Choice pulled out.
Grahame

1. Little had changed.   A few more buildings starting to appear but nothing too major. I don't know where the people to fill them are coming from though.

7. Prices in general seemed no more than 2005    The obvious exception was fuel (unleaded ca. €1.10 and diesel ca. €1.05).

10. Thanks are due to John R for the walk on the new track from Souda to Rodakino and also that Tesco vouchers can be used at 4X their value for airport parking. Don't leave it too late though as the procedure is a bit lengthy.  Also,  APH then lowered their price after we have sent off the vouchers and then the Royal Mail lost the parking confirmation.  Still, it was worth it as we parked effectively for £14.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6096\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »
Mike, How were the rooms at Kostas? I've booked for August 29 and have put a request for "not rooms 56 & 62" ! What is this new track from Souda to Rodakino, start , length etc.
I'm glad that not a lot has changed. I haven't ben back since First Choice pulled out.
Grahame

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Grahame,

I think they are fine. Not the largest I have ever seen but pretty good. We did meet someone last year who from their description had been allocated a larger one. The important things are there (e.g. hot water, bedding/towel changes, cleanliness).

Re. the walk. Go along the beach road behind Souda Bay westwards and turn up the tarmac road inland just before the taverna. Just after Pelagos Studios turn left up the tarmac road and in a few hundred yards turn left on to an initially concrete road. This heads down hill and crosses a fast flowing stream (in May anyway it was fast flowing). Turn immediately left on to the new track to Rodakino. During my walk I saw two couples walking and one vehicle came, had a look, and didn't proceed. It would be suitable for a 4WD. The track goes round the headland and is a bit up and down but not seriously so. After a mile or two there is a chained dog "guarding" the track. I chased him away from me- a couple I met had distracted him with food. I think he was of the variety that more wanted to lick you than bite you.

The track eventually ends at Rodakino beach (according to John R). I didn’t quite get there as I had walked from Plakias and was returning on foot as well.

It was a very enjoyable walk, less hilly than walks going inland with good views of the coast. I would estimate 4-5 miles from Souda Bay taverna to Rodakino beach.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, the Dora didn't have much of a view before the villas were built. Perhaps that's why Dora said that this might be her last year and was going to sell up.

I think Graham's having trouble. Hit 'Quote' then 'Reply' Graham!

george g...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »
I would estimate 4-5 miles from Souda Bay taverna to Rodakino beach.

Mike

In my 4WD last year it clocked 4Km. I'm not much of a walker although I do like the odd adventure, so do try and walk it you guys, it's a great road with good views and a few surprises.
Let's hope they don't Tarmac it too soon!

Me, I'm sticking to 4WD and will be up there again in September!  

george g...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:40:23 PM by George »

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 01:39:08 PM »
Grahame

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Grahame,

I think they are fine. Not the largest I have ever seen but pretty good. We did meet someone last year who from their description had been allocated a larger one. The important things are there (e.g. hot water, bedding/towel changes, cleanliness).

Re. the walk. Go along the beach road behind Souda Bay westwards and turn up the tarmac road inland just before the taverna. Just after Pelagos Studios turn left up the tarmac road and in a few hundred yards turn left on to an initially concrete road. This heads down hill and crosses a fast flowing stream (in May anyway it was fast flowing). Turn immediately left on to the new track to Rodakino. During my walk I saw two couples walking and one vehicle came, had a look, and didn't proceed. It would be suitable for a 4WD. The track goes round the headland and is a bit up and down but not seriously so. After a mile or two there is a chained dog "guarding" the track. I chased him away from me- a couple I met had distracted him with food. I think he was of the variety that more wanted to lick you than bite you.

The track eventually ends at Rodakino beach (according to John R). I didn’t quite get there as I had walked from Plakias and was returning on foot as well.

It was a very enjoyable walk, less hilly than walks going inland with good views of the coast. I would estimate 4-5 miles from Souda Bay taverna to Rodakino beach.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Mike, and yes George I did have abit of trouble - long time since I made an entry!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2006, 01:46:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike, the Dora didn't have much of a view before the villas were built. Perhaps that's why Dora said that this might be her last year and was going to sell up.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
George,

It isn't the new villas that spoil the view from Dora but a new block of studios half built. You can clearly see the villas from Dora though.

Hope the transfers are also better for you in September.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
George,

It isn't the new villas that spoil the view from Dora but a new block of studios half built. You can clearly see the villas from Dora though.

Hope the transfers are also better for you in September.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Mike
Hopefully if the reports keep coming in I can make up my mind about the bus or a car nearer the time.

Perhaps my griping to Olympic payed off!
Your transfer was pretty good, you couldn't of had many drops on the way!

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2006, 10:46:46 AM »
In my 4WD last year it clocked 4Km. I'm not much of a walker although I do like the odd adventure, so do try and walk it you guys, it's a great road with good views and a few surprises.
Let's hope they don't Tarmac it too soon!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
George,

Agreed re. tarmac. I think they would need to widen it first so hope this would prevent it.

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »
there are two dogs tied across the the path, but they are very friendly and would appreciate any spare water (and affection) as their owner doesn't seem to think they need any!

their job is too act as living gates to keep the sheep in, personally i wouldbe happy to go back to having a gate across the road.....

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
Just thought of something else, as mike said the train has gone ( to Athens, we heard)

it has been replaced by two rather nice horse drawn taxi carriages
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:37:19 PM by harribobs »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2006, 01:08:04 PM »
Just thought of something else, as mike said the train has gone ( to Athens, we heard)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hallelujah!!!  

The horses sound like an excellent alternative and ideal for an evenings   romantic excursion  .

One wish come true

Thanks Chris, you've made my day!

george g...

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
2006 season in Plakias
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2006, 06:20:32 PM »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Black carriage drawn by two black horses?

We saw them doing test runs and thought it was for on coming marriage.  
Jorgos (of Paligremnos took a free ride to town   . )
We donot think they will use it for Shinaria beach  

BTW Glad the train is gone.  
Perhaps a Greek carriage drawn by 4 donkeys would by nice?  

Leen & Willlemien