Author Topic: Current weather  (Read 7245 times)

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Current weather
« on: February 18, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »
According to a few of the web-weather sites over the last couple of days, the Aegean area is supposed to be suffering Arctic conditions!

One report on ERT states "the biggest part of Chania is snowbound" - which may be down to mistranslation of "highest part" .... but snow is definitely causing problems.

So, what's it like in Plakias?  Has it really been colder than Manchester?!!!
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »
Quote from: Chas
According to a few of the web-weather sites over the last couple of days, the Aegean area is supposed to be suffering Arctic conditions!

One report on ERT states "the biggest part of Chania is snowbound" - which may be down to mistranslation of "highest part" .... but snow is definitely causing problems.

I got a text from my friends who live in Asomatos saying that they had lots of snow on Saturday.
Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
If you look at www.flickr.com and search for "greece snow", then look at them in Most Recent sequence you will see loads of photos of the recent snow. They are mainly from Athens. I can't see any from Crete, the nearest being from Santorini.

The following is an extract from a report on the Kathemerini website:

Χανιά

Στο επαρχιακό οδικό δίκτυο του νομού Χανίων εστιάζονται τα προβλήματα από την κακοκαιρία που πλήττει τον νομό με κύριο χαρακτηρισμό τις χιονοπτώσεις ακόμα και σε περιοχές με χαμηλό υψόμετρο. Στις 5:30 το απόγευμα μηχανήματα κατάφεραν να καθαρίσουν την Εθνική οδό Χανίων -Ρεθύμνου από το ύψους της Αγίας Σοφίας μέχρι και την Γεωργιούπολη όπου λόγω της συνεχούς χιονόπτωσης είχε διακοπεί η κυκλοφορία

Από τις 2:30 μέχρι και τις 5:30 δεν εκτελέστηκε κανένα δρομολόγιο του υπεραστικού ΚΤΕΛ από Χανιά προς Ρέθυμνο, Ηράκλειο καθώς λόγω της ολισθηρότητας του δρόμου υπήρχε σοβαρός κίνδυνος πρόκλησης ατυχήματος. Πολλά ορεινά χωριά του νομού Χανίων παραμένουν αποκλεισμένα ενώ έχει διακοπεί η κυκλοφορία προς Χώρα Σφακίων, προς Ομαλό, προς Κάνδανο, Παλαιόχωρα και στην τοποθεσία Πέτρα Σελί. Τα εκχιονιστικά μηχανήματα που βρίσκονται σε πολλά σημεία του οδικού δικτύου θα αρχίσουν τις προσπάθειες για να ανοίξουν οι δρόμοι με το πρώτο φως της ημέρας.
Στον οικισμό Παλαιά Ρούματα από πτώση δέντρου σε καλώδια της ΔΕΗ υπήρξε πρόβλημα στην ηλεκτροδότηση, ενώ χωρίς ρεύμα είναι η Αγία Ρουμέλη, η Ανώπολη, το Λουτρό, η Σκαλωτη και η Αση Γωνιά. Στην θέση Πλακάλωνα Κισάμου ακινητοποιήθηκε στην άκρη του δρόμου λεωφορείο του ΚΤΕΛ και η μεταφορά των 5 επιβατών έγινε με άλλα μέσα. Η θερμοκρασία στην πόλη των Χανίων όπου κατά περιόδους πέφτει χιονόνερο είναι στους 2 βαθμούς, όμως αναμένεται κατά την διάρκεια της νύκτας να πέσει και άλλο.
Το τμήμα πολιτικής προστασίας κάνει έκκληση στους πολίτες να μην μετακινούνται άσκοπα ενώ απαραίτητη είναι η χρήση αντιολισθητικών αλυσίδων. Σε πολλά σημεία του οδικού δικτύου υπάρχει πυκνή ομίχλη. Η Πυροσβεστική κλήθηκε να παρέμβει σε 17 περιπτώσεις κυρίως για απεγκλωβισμό ατόμων από αυτοκίνητα που είχαν αποκλεισθεί λόγω του χιονιού

I don't expect you to understand it, but here is my attempted translation of bits of it:

Chania

On the provincial road network of the Nomos of Chania there were problems with bad weather, with snowfall even at low levels. At 5:30 in the afternoon machines were trying to clear the Chania-Rethymnon national road from Aghia Sophia to Georgoupolis where it was blocked because of the snow.

From 2:30 until 5:30 there were no buses from Chania to Rethymnon and Iraklion as because of the slipperiness of the roads […] Many beautiful villages of the Nomos of Chania remain cut off. The snow has disrupted the circulation to Chora Sfakion, to Omalos, to Kandavos, Paleochora and to the site of Petra Seli.  

…problems with electricity, there is no supply to Aghia Roumeli, Anopoli, Loutro, Skaloti and Asi Gonia.

Greecemad

Offline boxerlover

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »
Quote from: Tony and Sandra Smith
Quote from: Chas

I got a text from my friends who live in Asomatos saying that they had lots of snow on Saturday.
Tony

This picture was not taken this year but it does show that Plakias can get quite alot of snow [attachment=560:Snowy_Plakias.jpg]

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »
Quote from: boxerlover
This picture was not taken this year but it does show that Plakias can get quite alot of snow [attachment=560:Snowy_Plakias.jpg]

Boxerlover,

That's my photo. What I mean is that I took a photo of the original photo that is hanging in Lysseos taverna. I think the original photo was taken in 2004.

To see a photo of snow on Paleochora beach yesterday, click here

To see a video on YouTube showing deep snow on Crete, click
here
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:11:05 PM by Greecemad »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
Incredible pictures Greecemad...

This will cheer you up Oscar    

george g...

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 06:07:59 PM »
Some pictures are on the Youth hostel site.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline charlie

• View Profile
Current weather
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »
Quote from: George
Incredible pictures Greecemad...

This will cheer you up Oscar    

george g...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:18:28 AM »
Don't know about you Steven, but that picture of the beach brings my 'far end' closer to home!!    

george g...

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:54:18 PM »
Just come across this 'sing' (sic)

Greecemad
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:55:38 PM by Greecemad »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 08:18:20 PM »
I had a text from Emma today (Freddys wife) saying the weather was really good now the snow had gone!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current weather
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »
The Paleochora weather station gives today's temperature around the 16 degrees mark with no precipitation.

Noopsy

Ελευθερία ή θάνατος