Author Topic: RAKI  (Read 11552 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »
I got into work this morning and found a litre and a half bottle of Babbis's Raki on my desk  . Unfortunately we are not allowed to drink on the premises but it does smell good.

Hey Paul any chance of adding smellorama to the sight  , I'd love to share it with everyone who has post Plakias blues.

Thanks and welcome back Pete and Dawn, and Tracy, Pete tells me we have yet another convert.  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
Quote from: George
I got into work this morning and found a litre and a half bottle of Babbis's Raki on my desk  . Unfortunately we are not allowed to drink on the premises but it does smell good.

Hey Paul any chance of adding smellorama to the sight  , I'd love to share it with everyone who has post Plakias blues.

Thanks and welcome back Pete and Dawn, and Tracy, Pete tells me we have yet another convert.  

george g...
George,

I totally agree with you that raki is one of the things it is well worthwhile bringing back from Plakias. It's a minor inconvenience to have to pack it in the hold luggage but we do understand the reason for it.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:45:05 PM »
Quote from: Mike G

george g...
George,

I totally agree with you that raki is one of the things it is well worthwhile bringing back from Plakias. It's a minor inconvenience to have to pack it in the hold luggage but we do understand the reason for it.

Mike

If you look around at all the good Raki you'll notice that most of it is in plastic water bottles. Pete was a bit concerned when he bought mine but Babis said that that was the safest way to transport them. They can take a knock or two and we all know what kind of pressure there is in one of those plastic bottles filled with coke or lemonade.

I bought some manufactured stuff from the airport years ago and it was awful, felt like it was ripping your throat out on the way down.

It might look a bit cheap but at least with a plastic bottle you have a pretty good chance of a good brew.  , and as you said Mike well worth bringing back for those cold winter evenings by the fire... or anytime you fancy a reminder of the good life  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
It might look a bit cheap but at least with a plastic bottle you have a pretty good chance of a good brew.  , and as you said Mike well worth bringing back for those cold winter evenings by the fire... or anytime you fancy a reminder of the good life  

george g...
At home I like to dilute it with just a little water which takes the edge off the high alcohol content (yes I know I'm a wimp) and I can't easily do that in a taverna. We never did establish what ABV raki normally is did we? I reckon about 45- 50% ABV.

As the container wasn't designed for high alcohol drinks (most seem to be water bottles) I do wonder if some plasiciser could be leached out, so may transfer to glass in future at home. I think I almost prefer raki to ouzo now.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 02:38:14 PM »
I think I almost prefer raki to ouzo now.

Mike
No contest Mike, never was an Ouzo fan but as the Raki, have never been known to refuse one.

We met a couple from Brighton in the Medusa one very quiet evening and they noticed that Babbis had just bought out the Raki and they said to me, 'Do you like it (I think she meant the Raki),' and my reply was 'it's not something one likes but not something I would refuse'. She immediately came over and gave me two more glasses, Pete had just convieniently knocked his over, but didn't want anymore so I had a good night.
If ever they log on, thanks Guys, much appreciated  

george g...

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 07:32:45 AM »

george g...

I just finished off a bottle I got from Marcos,(not this morning) saturday night I didnt feel to clever on Sunday But according to Marcos if you eat a plate of Spaghetti it puts you right. anyone tried it?
Alex.
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 08:14:53 AM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G
I just finished off a bottle I got from Marcos,(not this morning) saturday night I didnt feel to clever on Sunday But according to Marcos if you eat a plate of Spaghetti it puts you right. anyone tried it?
Alex.

Funnily enough I had Spaghetti Bolagnese that night, and I felt fine, others might not agree.  

george g...

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:23:35 AM »
well worth bringing back for those cold winter evenings by the fire...

george g...

Yep - makes the fire burn very well indeed.  

John R

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:44 AM »
Quote from: John R
well worth bringing back for those cold winter evenings by the fire...

george g...

Yep - makes the fire burn very well indeed.  

John R
Just don't sit too close John, Health and safety will get you  

george g...

Offline Icarus

• View Profile
RAKI
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:53:38 AM »
While we were there, the wife decided she didn't like the stuff, so I had double helpings every evening. Strangely, I didn't complain!

Never thought to bring any back though. Probably wouldn't have had space or weight allowance for it anyway, and with my luck it would probably have burst all over the inside of the case. Happened once before with Southern Comfort I seem to remember.....

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »
Quote from: Icarus
While we were there, the wife decided she didn't like the stuff, so I had double helpings every evening. Strangely, I didn't complain!

Never thought to bring any back though. Probably wouldn't have had space or weight allowance for it anyway, and with my luck it would probably have burst all over the inside of the case. Happened once before with Southern Comfort I seem to remember.....
Hi Icarus

See post #3 above, if your going to buy any of the local RAKI they'll put it in a plastic bottle. It does travel!  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »
Does anyone know why Crete seems to be the only Greek island with a traditional of making and serving raki? I have never seen it on other islands but have heard it is popular in Turkey as well.

As it is made from a waste product (the fermented pulp of grapes after they are removed from the fermentor) it appeals to my philosophy of "waste not, want not". Most other Greek islands make wine after all. Other countries such as France and Italy have Eau de Vie de Marc and Grappa which are similar.

The best price I found in Plakias earlier this month was €6.00 for 1.5L. in Baradakis supermarket (first s/m west from Ostraco bar, opposite the fish taverna).

Mike

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:38:55 AM »
Does anyone know why Crete seems to be the only Greek island with a traditional of making and serving raki? I have never seen it on other islands but have heard it is popular in Turkey as well.

As it is made from a waste product (the fermented pulp of grapes after they are removed from the fermentor) it appeals to my philosophy of "waste not, want not". Most other Greek islands make wine after all. Other countries such as France and Italy have Eau de Vie de Marc and Grappa which are similar.

The best price I found in Plakias earlier this month was €6.00 for 1.5L. in Baradakis supermarket (first s/m west from Ostraco bar, opposite the fish taverna).

Mike

In Turkey, well around Istanbul anyway, raki is the same as ouzo, but 10 to 15% stronger. Very nice, but care required! In Cyprus they make Zivania, which is very similar to Cretan raki. The good stuff is home brewed and kept in the freezer, possibly so the cold anaesthetises your throat before the alcohol burns it!

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
RAKI
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »
Quote from: Mike from Sussex

Mike

In Turkey, well around Istanbul anyway, raki is the same as ouzo, but 10 to 15% stronger. Very nice, but care required! In Cyprus they make Zivania, which is very similar to Cretan raki. The good stuff is home brewed and kept in the freezer, possibly so the cold anaesthetises your throat before the alcohol burns it!

The good raki is also kept in the freezer & it tastes much better but now I wonder about your theory that makes it seem that way!

Rowena & Carl

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
RAKI
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 06:30:19 AM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl
Quote from: Mike from Sussex

Mike

The good raki is also kept in the freezer & it tastes much better but now I wonder about your theory that makes it seem that way!

Rowena & Carl
I have just drank a bottle of turkish raki (small bottle) after it had been in the freezer for about 2 months it was nice but as said it does taste like a strong ouzo,I did'nt find it as nice as the raki from Crete.  Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.