login

Author Topic: Asomatos Museum  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Asomatos Museum
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
Regulars will be familiar with this museum but thought it was worth a mention for anyone who's new to Plakias or has not visited yet. We first went there in 2004 and again this year. It's one of those places where, the closer you look, the more there is to see. Not at all like most museums - the varied collection of items brings an earlier, simpler way of living, back to life. Some exhibits would benefit from English explanations/translations but the guy running the museum is never far away if you have questions. Entry is 2 Euro and, in my opinion, well worth it.

P.S. If you are keen on walking, we found the hills behind Asomatos easy to explore - the dogs guarding the sheep were all either friendly or safely behind a fence  (some places we've been to, though, you see a dog tied up in the middle of nowhere guarding nothing  )
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 09:39:17 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Asomatos Museum
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:00:02 AM »
I just got the message that Papas Michalis died on the 4th of october at the age of 87 years.
May he find some collectable items in heaven now!!

shinaria

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Asomatos Museum
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »
Quote from: shinaria
I just got the message that Papas Michalis died on the 4th of october at the age of 87 years.

shinaria

That is very sad news but he was very ill & ready to go when we were there in June, he was a very good friend of our good friend Roberto from Lebannon who is 83 they shared many happy but competative backgammon games in the Livicon & at his house. We had meals with him & once he even asked me if Carl my husband (he was there too) was a good man cause if not he had a boy i his village for me to marry!! He was a character & blessed by god without a doubt, We watched on many occasions him leave Plakias after a yard of raki!

Rowena & Carl

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Asomatos Museum
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:23:53 PM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl

shinaria

That is very sad news but he was very ill & ready to go when we were there in June, he was a very good friend of our good friend Roberto from Lebannon who is 83 they shared many happy but competative backgammon games in the Livicon & at his house. We had meals with him & once he even asked me if Carl my husband (he was there too) was a good man cause if not he had a boy i his village for me to marry!! He was a character & blessed by god without a doubt, We watched on many occasions him leave Plakias after a yard of raki!

Rowena & Carl

We are also very saddened to hear Papas Michalis has died.  He was a lovely man and  indeed a good man.
I was in Plakias in 1985 and joined by my daughter for a week. She was 19yrs then and a keen backgammon player ( she learnt to play at boarding school !) The village square was the focal point during the evening , before the big trees were taken down. Papa Michalis and a slightly older priest would sit from early evening not very quietly playing backgammon. I noticed her watching the game from a discreet distance and before long she was sitting and playing Papa Michalis . The game became very competitive and Louisa won the first game. I assumed he let here win , but no . She played Michalis and two other people and thrashed them all. I was very embarrassed by this and tried to apologise but they all seemed very amused and treated her with great respect.!!
We still talk about those evenings in that heavenly place. I am pretty sure that photographs were taken and if they come to light I will happily post them on the forum.

travellingran.

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Asomatos Museum
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »
Quote from: travellingran

shinaria

Rowena & Carl

We are also very saddened to hear Papas Michalis has died.  He was a lovely man and  indeed a good man.
I was in Plakias in 1985 and joined by my daughter for a week. She was 19yrs then and a keen backgammon player ( she learnt to play at boarding school !) The village square was the focal point during the evening , before the big trees were taken down. Papa Michalis and a slightly older priest would sit from early evening not very quietly playing backgammon. I noticed her watching the game from a discreet distance and before long she was sitting and playing Papa Michalis . The game became very competitive and Louisa won the first game. I assumed he let here win , but no . She played Michalis and two other people and thrashed them all. I was very embarrassed by this and tried to apologise but they all seemed very amused and treated her with great respect.!!
We still talk about those evenings in that heavenly place. I am pretty sure that photographs were taken and if they come to light I will happily post them on the forum.

travellingran.
Is the museum still open? Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Asomatos Museum
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:34 PM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G

shinaria

Rowena & Carl

We are also very saddened to hear Papas Michalis has died. He was a lovely man and indeed a good man.

travellingran.

Yes, definately go his son & daughter in law are there running it & it really is worth a visit, fascinating.

Rowena & Carl

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Asomatos Museum
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G

shinaria

Rowena & Carl

We are also very saddened to hear Papas Michalis has died. He was a lovely man and indeed a good man.

travellingran.

Yes, definately go his son & daughter in law are there running it & it really is worth a visit, fascinating.

Rowena & Carl
I have been a couple of times it was fascinating, I just wondered if it was still open, I will pay another visit in June.  Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.