Author Topic: Far Enders  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Far Enders
« on: June 15, 2004, 01:52:08 PM »
Hi All,
as a regular to Plak we have checked out a few of the local swimming/snorkelling beaches - Lefgoya/Damnoni/Souda, but have never actually been to the Eastern end of Plak itself !
We are back in August and was wondering if you could give me some idea as to what its like for snorkelling etc.
Admit I love the Souda end as its got our favourite Taverna - Gallini, where many a long lunch has been spent most enjoyably.
I know a lot of you prefer the 'far end' so grateful to know what its like by comparison, as may well give it a go this August.
We will have a car so assume parking is no problem, ut hey, you guys know all about it so looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

Pritch

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Far Enders
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 02:29:11 PM »
Hi Pritch - Never been to the far end of the beach, shame on you! Parking shouldn't be a problem. As for the snorkelling - I would say it is quite good as it gets quite rocky at the end of the beach. I've only been snorkelling at that end so I can't say whether it's better or worse than the Souda end. Try the far end, then let us know which end you think has the better snorkelling so I know whether to try the Souda end.
Happy Hols  

Offline martyn

• View Profile
    • Email
Far Enders
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 11:29:08 AM »
Although the far end of the beach is good, the best place we came across for snorkelling was in the Kalypso Cretan Village. Take the road out of Plakias towards Rethymo and as you hit the first T-Junction, turn right and watch immediately on the right (only 10 yards for the turning signed Kalypso). Probably best in a car because the road in is maybe 3 to 4 kms long and hilly. Drive staight into the hotel as though you own it and park in the little car park before the final hairpin where you hit the chalets. The best time is 4/5pm when the sun hits the water. 4/5mts of cleary rocky water straight off the rocks with a ladder. This place also is used by the Kalypso Rock Diving Centre.

Have a good time

Martyn & Svetlana

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Far Enders
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:13:13 PM »
Thanks Martyn, we'll give it a try.

Graham and Karen

Offline martyn

• View Profile
    • Email
Far Enders
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 06:09:34 AM »
You're most welcome   By the way, I can't remember under which category the original post was, but there are 4 trees left at the far end. Two stand together and the other two separately a bit further back into the dunes. We were a little dissapointed that the donut man only comes at weekends now. Was that always the case??

Martyn & Svetlana

Offline Sebbee

• View Profile
    • Email
Far Enders
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 10:15:46 PM »
On Martyn and Svetlana's worry that the donut man only comes at weekends now, that wasn't the case when we were there for two weeks from June 8 this year. The only days he missed were windy ones and those after any night when he'd drunk too much raki!

PS What's it like tonight? Greece have just beaten Czech Rep to the final. Going nuts?

Offline martyn

• View Profile
    • Email
Far Enders
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 05:30:56 AM »
Sebbee,

We must have been there at the same time without knowing. We flew in 10.06.04 and left on the 18th, shame we didn't meet up. If you have a look at the photo of Svetlana on my profile you might recognise her.

Strange about the donut man though. We were on the beach most days and did not see him at the far end except for the weekend AND we were looking lol. The only days we saw him was between 3-4 pm. Perhaps he came earlier when we were grabbing luch. Anyway thanks for allaying the fears of all those weight watching donut lovers, my original post must have been thrown into a blind panic.

Martyn & Svetlana

Offline Caroline

• View Profile
    • Email
Far Enders
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 12:43:59 PM »
We like snorkelling at Skinaria (Shinaria?) beach - it's the one with the large Libyan Star bar at the back of the beach. The far end is often naturist, but it depends on who gets there first and whether they take their clothes off! Weekends tend to be busier with families. I wish we'd thought of the Kalypso - we've been there for a nosey, but never tried snorkelling - maybe next year.

We were in Plakias at the end of June - and only saw the donut man on the beach twice, although we did see his car in the village a few times.