2 (10%)
Pick out some chips and eat
5 (25%)
Eat straight (no chip pluckage)
11 (55%)
Other (is there another way?)
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Gyros Mini Poll  (Read 8965 times)

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Gyros Mini Poll
« on: September 18, 2004, 07:04:15 PM »
Been quite a while since our last poll and this one came to me on our last day in Kyma yesterday enjoying a Gyros Pita whilst the couple at the next table did the same.

If you are unsure as to what I am referring to then have a look Here. I've only had the ones from Kyma but I think you can get similar from elsewhere.

Please share any good/bad experiences, favourite type (chicken, pork etc).

Cheers,

Paul

P.S Yes I know its a little silly but its the exhaustion of one of those joyful overnight journeys home  

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Gyros Mini Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 07:46:41 PM »
Been quite a while since our last poll and this one came to me on our last day in Kyma yesterday enjoying a Gyros Pita whilst the couple at the next table did the same.

If you are unsure as to what I am referring to then have a look Here. I've only had the ones from Kyma but I think you can get similar from elsewhere.

Cheers,

Paul

P.S Yes I know its a little silly but its the exhaustion of one of those joyful overnight journeys home 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad you're home safe Paul - and love to Mrs.Ploppy!
Great to see you in Plakias!

My way: discard the cutlery - add extra ketchup and mustard, and nibble down from the top, keeping all the lovely juices inside the pitta (only in places like Kyma tho - 'cause the loo is nice and clean and you can wash your hands afer!)
John - Ostraco

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Gyros Mini Poll
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 10:31:30 PM »

Cheers,

Paul

P.S Yes I know its a little silly but its the exhaustion of one of those joyful overnight journeys homeĀ 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad you're home safe Paul - and love to Mrs.Ploppy!
Great to see you in Plakias!

My way: discard the cutlery - add extra ketchup and mustard, and nibble down from the top, keeping all the lovely juices inside the pitta (only in places like Kyma tho - 'cause the loo is nice and clean and you can wash your hands afer!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome home all, almost my turn now cannot wait to get my hands on a Gyros (something I never eat at home but really enjoy in Plakias) My way is to pick out a few chips then work my way down licking up dribbles along the way oooh can hardly wait.
Dotty

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gyros Mini Poll
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 02:40:42 PM »
Paul,

Having been to many Greek resorts (island and mainland) I don't believe the inclusion of chips is by any means universal. I would say little more than 50%. The other normal ingredients for a gyros pitta are the gyros meat (obviously) which I believe is lamb, onions, tomato, and plenty of tzatziki. If chips are present then this cuts down on the meat content.

The largest I have had were found at Tingaki (Kos) this year- I believe the place was called Memories. One sufficed for my partner Diane and two for me. In many places I can manage three. They go very well with very cold retsina (or Greek beer).

I loved your pictures of the gyros pitta.     Maybe one of the regular visitors can inform me how many places in Plakias are selling them currently. I remember a small place on the seafront near the harbour, run by a lady, but this was several years ago.

Mike

Offline hopper

• View Profile
    • Email
Gyros Mini Poll
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 08:15:17 AM »
How things change, I am sure I never saw any of them. Last time I was in plakias was 1987.
cheers Hopper

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gyros Mini Poll
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 11:10:03 PM »
I loved your pictures of the gyros pitta.     Maybe one of the regular visitors can inform me how many places in Plakias are selling them currently. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes.  They looked scrumptious.  Next time I'm in Plakias I shall try one and eat it ostraco's way first.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Jeff Winchell

• View Profile
    • http://winchell.org
    • Email
Gyros Mini Poll
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:05:19 AM »
Having been to many Greek resorts (island and mainland) I don't believe the inclusion of chips is by any means universal. I would say little more than 50%. The other normal ingredients for a gyros pitta are the gyros meat (obviously) which I believe is lamb, onions, tomato, and plenty of tzatziki. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps this sounds odd, but here in Seattle, I can order my gyro with either tzatziki or tahini and I really like the taste of tahini sauce... so I was wondering if I'd be committing a crime or something ;-)... if I tried to get tahini sauce on my gyro in Crete (I think tahini is what they use in Lebanon... maybe Turkey).

Either way, I love gyros and look forward to having many during my stay this May.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gyros Mini Poll
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 01:46:03 PM »
Perhaps this sounds odd, but here in Seattle, I can order my gyro with either tzatziki or tahini and I really like the taste of tahini sauce... so I was wondering if I'd be committing a crime or something ;-)... if I tried to get tahini sauce on my gyro in Crete (I think tahini is what they use in Lebanon... maybe Turkey).

Welcome to the forum Jeff. My experience of over 25 visits to Greece is that the Greeks are pretty laid back so I would eat your gyros pitta just how you want to. What I can't tell you is whether tahini sauce will be available, but I'm sure someone else on the forum will be able to help.

Enjoy your visit.

Mike