login

Author Topic: holiday money  (Read 6058 times)

Offline shelby 213

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
holiday money
« on: July 08, 2003, 05:48:40 PM »
hi does anyone know if there are any bank machines (atms) in plakias. Also we are staying at stella pensions does anyone know what would be the closest pool for us to use.

thanks shelby

only 4 weeks 2 go till we arrive in plakias  

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 07:25:44 PM »
There are three ATMs in the village - and generally at least one is working    They take a good variety of cards, including Access and Visa.

As for Stella - I've never stayed there, although I've seen it in the First Choice Brochure. Could someone please tell me where it is. The 'in the olive groves' in the brochure is not that helpful!  
John - Ostraco

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 07:30:13 PM »
Hi John,

Do you know if any of them will take Cirrus/Maestro cards so I can use my Switch card there?

Cheers,
Ploppy

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 07:45:24 PM »
Short answer mate - No, I don't.

But I'm sure someone else will......
John - Ostraco

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 09:09:54 PM »
John - Stella Pension Locaton.

Go up road past the fish and chip shop (on right). Turn left at top of that road (Medousa Tavern nearly opposite, top right). Carry on for 30 yards and then take the first right turn. Stella is about 20 yards up there on the left. Total distance from fish and chip shop about 100 yards. It is very convenient and certainly not miles away in the olive groves. VERY quiet - especially at front. No pool or anything like that. Only about 10 rooms. Exceptionally clean. Fairly basic and that description describes the breakfast as well. Rooms have a fridge but no cooking facilities. We regulars during the 1st 2 weeks in October now know ourselves as the Stella Pensioners. Run by the owners who speak very little English. They are very friendly - taking and collecting luggage to/from drop off points and will stand no nonsense. Always on hand and the do the cleaning with one local lass helping. Their son is a waitor at the big Mirthios Tavern (The one who smiles and is quite humourous). His Brother owns the fish and chip shop - though last year that was leased to someone else (Australians ??) while they were away for a while.

Geographically it is situated behind the Livicon Hotel - about 200 yards as the crow (or perhaps pelicon) flies.

John R

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 09:35:57 PM »
Yes!  Now I know.  thanks a lot John. Sounds like an ideal location.

I have eaten in Meduas, and know the fish and chip shop well. I didn't eat there in June - but I did walk past, and noticed that brother was there.

Good to have a fridge - but nowhere to boil water for a coffee?  I hope it's OK to take a kettle?
John - Ostraco

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 09:54:19 PM »
Hi John,

Do you know if any of them will take Cirrus/Maestro cards so I can use my Switch card there?

Cheers,
Ploppy
In my experience, ALL atm machines in Greece will accept Switch cards.

Greecemad.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 08:25:09 AM »
John - Stella facilities :-

Yes - friends of ours always take a kettle for their cup of post swim tea on the balcony.

Officially it is a B+B hotel rather than a self catering establishment - though that would not preclude them providing kettle if they though fit. The fridge is a fairly recent event. As I said, Stella is basic but (for us) brilliant

We eat all our meals at Medusa. As you will be gathering we are sad people of habit. Does that not apply to all people who return year after year to Plakias  

John R

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 09:07:12 AM »
There is a hotel slightly higher up the hill from Stella that has a pool and doesn't seem to mind casual visitors.  Alternatively the pool at Alianthos is only a short walk away.  Do try Medousa - his spicy pork and stifado are to die for!

Regards,

Allan

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 01:08:52 PM »
I think we all get a little set in our ways when we go back to Plakias.

In June, we decided to do a little more exploring on the food front than is usual. The only restaurants we visited more than once were Sophia and Gourgonis.

We have to do the obligatory trip to Platia at Mirthios, and this year visited the taverna at Selia for the first time (well recommended!)

Other places of note were Castro - bit of a walk, but well worth it and the fish at Christos: a couple of Euros extra, but well worth it.
John - Ostraco

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2003, 04:21:24 PM »
Thats what we plan to do this year, visit a wider variety of tavernas. Last year we kept going back to Glaros, Ariadne & Medousa mainly because we were running out of dough and needed places that we knew took Credit Cards. But with the ATMs it will be different this year.

John did you go back to Glaros after Nikos & Stavros have left? I will miss thier baked Feta cheese with onions and peppers plus the Souvlaki a la Glaros.

Regards,
Ploppy

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2003, 05:16:56 PM »
Right Ploppy - pays to look around - and more places are taking credit cards now.

No, I've not been back to Glaros since the guys left - but always pop into Sophia to see Nikos, who's in his second season there now.

I believe Stavros is working somewhere near Damnoni - unless anyone else knows better......
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 05:17:36 PM by ostraco »
John - Ostraco

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2003, 05:25:23 PM »
Yes we will definately pop in to Sophia to see Nikos, we were lucky last year because we went early in the season and he was still at Glaros although we didn't see him the first couple of times as he was recovering from an accident (something to do with too many rakis at a party the rumour went   )

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
holiday money
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 11:32:58 PM »
We've not been into Glaros since Nikos left.
Good to see him looking happy at Sophia's - but he's still a devil for the raki!
John - Ostraco