login

Author Topic: Anyone know...  (Read 4495 times)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone know...
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
I'm planning the May trip and would like to hire a motorbike this time if possible. We had a car from Alianthos the other year and they did hire small scooters too but...No larger bikes (200 - 660 C.C). If you know of/have a web address of a supplier either in Plakias or locally, please could you share the info so I can delve further into what's on offer. I have a feeling I'll have to take a bus ride to Rethymnon to get one- UNLESS you know different.

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
Re: Anyone know...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »
Suggest you try Monza travel. They usually have several large singles,Yamaha 660cc or MZ or BM W,s. If it worries you, the helmets provided don't offer much protection.

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
Suggest you try Monza travel. They usually have several large singles,Yamaha 660cc or MZ or BM W,s. If it worries you, the helmets provided don't offer much protection.

Thanks mickydripping. I've searched the web and only found their site that hires cars - not motorbikes. Are you referring to the motorbike hire shop near the Lamon hotel (Is that a Monza depot?)? The big bikes I saw there last year were looking "past their prime" to say the least.
Eurodriver deliver/collect but thats an extra €40 each way to Plakias!!!

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
Yes that's the place. I think the bikes outside are an advert rather than a practical ride. They usually bring bikes in from another depot when I have used them. Its worth an email or tel.call

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »
Yes that's the place. I think the bikes outside are an advert rather than a practical ride. They usually bring bikes in from another depot when I have used them. Its worth an email or tel.call

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
Thought so - I'll give 'em a bell/email the Plakias branch a few weeks b4 to get some prices etc. Thanks.

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
Hi.
Do you know if you can hire a quad bike in Plakias. Over the years we have seen a couple visiting but not for hire.

Davos
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »
We have been hiring Motorbikes on many Greek islands over the years but one thing is a must-------
NEVER just jump on one and ride away, there are many checks which YOU should carry out such as, brakes, suspension, tyres,lights,steering. etc etc
Always wear your helmet ( despite many locals not doing so ) and have comprehensive insurance.

Example, on one occasion doing the checks while the bike was on it's centre stand i noticed the bearings in the rear wheel had gone.
Fortunately, we have never had any mishaps and discovered many OFF the beaten track places to visit and beaches ALL to yourself.

Tip, when riding keep checking your rear view mirror, watch out for potholes, appropriate speed and observation for the conditions and regard every other driver as an idiot, you'll be ok !!

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »
Triton, your last paragraph now holds true in its entirety for the UK as well! Potholes being a new hazard to add to the others.

I would love another BMW R80GS to use in Crete, ideal for the roads/tracks, see me many years ago here: http://www.guskuhn.net/GKMLtd/Staff/Bayliss.htm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:59:51 PM by JBMouse »

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
Bah! - Holiday insurance + bike hire costs! Thanks guys, but it looks like I'm going to have to get 4 wheels instead. Or maybe just enjoy the local beaches and chill, redirecting the funds to some fine cuisine and a few extra beers. Daza (Doesn't sound so bad when you look at it from that perspective!!!).

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
Sad to say,but nowadays car hire is cheaper than motorcycle....and for two or more people,its also cheaper than buses. But bikes are more fun!

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
Nice pic. JDMOUSE. Happy memories.
Yea, prefer the bike to the car., free air con etc. Trouble is taxi fare last year from Heraklion £110 each way.
This year we might fly to Chania with Ryanair but with a suitcase makes it very difficult to carry on a bike.
 So have been in touch with Autoway and as correctly mentioned it's not that much more than the taxi fare for two weeks.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
Bah! - Holiday insurance + bike hire costs! Thanks guys, but it looks like I'm going to have to get 4 wheels instead. Or maybe just enjoy the local beaches and chill, redirecting the funds to some fine cuisine and a few extra beers. Daza (Doesn't sound so bad when you look at it from that perspective!!!).

Sorry to hear that you are going to have to clip your wings (or wheels), but it is probably better to spend your time spread out on the beach than spread out on the tarmac. 

Stay safe and enjoy your holiday.

Arnaki