Author Topic: apollon  (Read 9174 times)

Offline delia

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
apollon
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:25:49 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Apollon yet this year. I believe this is the first year it's been run by Kosmar. We arrive on 28th June so are getting very excited. This is our first visit to Crete. A friend who holidayed in Plakias about 10 yrs ago has told me that the bus journey is horrendous with sheer drops in places!!! Any information on this also?

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 04:56:08 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Apollon yet this year. I believe this is the first year it's been run by Kosmar. We arrive on 28th June so are getting very excited. This is our first visit to Crete. A friend who holidayed in Plakias about 10 yrs ago has told me that the bus journey is horrendous with sheer drops in places!!! Any information on this also?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No info on the Apollon but with regards to the drive to Plakias, yes the part through the gorge does have some stunning/scary* drops. I usually close my eyes  

Plakias I feel though is worth enduring my phobias (flying, heights)

Paul
* Delete as applicable

Offline delia

• View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:10:09 PM »
Thanks for that, looks like the bus journey will be a bit like the flight, gazing resolutely straight ahead and gripping the seat tightly !!!

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 05:18:28 PM »
Thanks for that, looks like the bus journey will be a bit like the flight, gazing resolutely straight ahead and gripping the seat tightly !!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sounds familiar although I find the beers and valium help for the flight  
No such luck for the gorge though  

Offline Andy B

• View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 05:36:18 PM »
Hi Delia

We are also staying at the Apollon for the first time, but not until October - long, long time!!  Would appreciate feedback after you return.

Re the gorge - it's not too bad and well worth hiring a car to visit this at your own pace.  The scenery is spectacular.

Have a great holiday.

Andy

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 07:48:16 PM »
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If a night flight you probably won't even see that spectacular scenery. I would enjoy it if I were you rather than fear it.  I consider the surrounding scenery and spectacular roads   to be equally enjoyable as is Plakias itself. I hire a car always and the driving through these gorges is no big deal but magnificent scenery like no other that I can think of.

John R

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 01:01:12 PM »
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I stayed there when it was First Choice and it was fine.

Saw it earlier this month and same comment applies. Brochure says it is up a slight slope. Almost imperceptible!

See the comments I have added re. tavernas. If you have a healthy appetite try Mousses; if you like getting ripped off, try Ariadne.

Re. gorge, you would have to be EXTREMELY nervous for it to bother you. Once you leave Rethymnon the journey is a joy. Worst thing is all the drop -offs in Rethymnon.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 01:33:31 PM »
Totally agree Mike, it's not really that bad, so all newbies should sit on the left hand side of the bus for the best view in daylight!
I quite enjoyed the transfer last year, and saw all the places where the other First Choicers were staying. Makes Plakias that much more appealing.
Gary the rep actually said on the bus after we had done the last drop off... 'congratulations, you have all chosen the best side of the island'.
It was a three and a half hour transfer though instead of the usual two!
george g...

Offline delia

• View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 11:32:18 AM »
Thanks for the tips !!! Andy I'll certainly give you a full report when we get back. I'm not fussy as long as it's clean. Spoke to someone from Kosmar this week about air con cos the brochure says some rooms have ac and tv. I've requested ac and he says that shouldn't be a problem because a lot of people don't want it, he says it's 4 euros a day - which I think will be well worth paying. Roll on 28th June.
Delia

Offline delia

• View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 09:06:11 PM »
Just got back Wed a.m. so here's the promised report on Apollon. Our appt was quite small but others are bigger, a bit dated but clean with everything you need for self catering. We were in the middle block on the ground level so no ac or fan !!!! the ac in this block is only on first floor. Had to buy a fan at the Forum supermarket and this was a lifesaver!! Never been to Greece in July before, VERY VERY HOT and getting hotter by the day. Cleaners come in every day but Sunday and even then they take the rubbish and toilet paper away. Sheets and towels changed every 2 or 3 days and toilet paper provided regularly, also hairdryer provided. Pool cleaned every day by Wayne Rooney lookalike and grounds regularly cleaned and very nice. Pool bar open from 10am till 11 or 12 pm they sell toasties and ice cream as well as alcoholic and soft drinks also tea etc. All in all you'll be well looked after. Marie the rep is lovely, she told me we didn't get ac because it was allocated according to order in when you booked the hol. Another couple we met had a room in block 3 much bigger than ours and with ac but they never used it!!! Hope this helps if you need to know anything else just let me know.
Delia

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 01:55:25 AM »
Did you find the transfer as hairy as you were led to believe?

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 09:23:03 AM »
And what did you think of Plakias?  

Susan

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 09:32:30 AM »
Just got back Wed a.m. so here's the promised report on Apollon. Our appt was quite small but others are bigger, a bit dated but clean with everything you need for self catering. We were in the middle block on the ground level so no ac or fan !!!! the ac in this block is only on first floor. Had to buy a fan at the Forum supermarket and this was a lifesaver!! Never been to Greece in July before, VERY VERY HOT and getting hotter by the day. Cleaners come in every day but Sunday and even then they take the rubbish and toilet paper away. Sheets and towels changed every 2 or 3 days and toilet paper provided regularly, also hairdryer provided. Pool cleaned every day by Wayne Rooney lookalike and grounds regularly cleaned and very nice. Pool bar open from 10am till 11 or 12 pm they sell toasties and ice cream as well as alcoholic and soft drinks also tea etc. All in all you'll be well looked after. Marie the rep is lovely, she told me we didn't get ac because it was allocated according to order in when you booked the hol. Another couple we met had a room in block 3 much bigger than ours and with ac but they never used it!!! Hope this helps if you need to know anything else just let me know.
Delia
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Encouraging info as we will be at the Apollon in September. Thanks Delia

Offline delia

• View Profile
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 10:41:36 AM »
Regarding the transfer have to admit I'm the biggest wimp on earth so I sat on the opposite side of the bus to the gorge!!! The scenery was beautiful though. Plakias is a peach of a place and the locals are so friendly, it's quiet but that's what I like and the food WOW!! Here comes the diet!!

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
apollon
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 01:17:31 PM »
Regarding the transfer have to admit I'm the biggest wimp on earth so I sat on the opposite side of the bus to the gorge!!! The scenery was beautiful though. Plakias is a peach of a place and the locals are so friendly, it's quiet but that's what I like and the food WOW!! Here comes the diet!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad you enjoyed Delia. Yes I usually go on a diet before and after!
Unfortunately I have to go to the US for five weeks and fly back the day before we fly to Crete (Company wanted to fly me back the same day!) so no time for diet and last time I went to the US I put on over a stone