Author Topic: Olympic transfer 2014  (Read 3991 times)

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
Olympic transfer 2014
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
I'm wondering what peoples experience of the transfer from Iraklion with Olympic has been like this year. We arrive on the 9th of September on the Thos Cook flight from Bristol, landing at 8. 30 in the evening. Anybody have any information about what likely fate awaits us? On the positive side, Olympic will get us there, on the other hand, who knows how or when....

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olympic transfer 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
We're on the Gatwick flight but that one arrives much later, early on the 10th Sept. Depending on how many Plakias customers are on the flight we are expecting a coach transfer (via Bali and Rethymnon and taking 2 or 3 hours). If we're really lucky the three of us will be provided with a taxi (just over 1 hour) or it might be a minibus going straight to Plakias (about 2 hours). We've experienced all of these options over the years and can never tell in advance how lucky we'll be. See you in the village !!!!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »
I think it is impossible to predict this as it depends on how many Olympic have to ferry off each flight to Plakias. I suspect the reps work it out in the few days before the flight arrives.

If you are in touch with Les, the current rep, then he might be able to tell you.

Most find the Olympic transfer somewhere between annoying and intolerable but it is a fact that it is one of the ways Olympic prices are so low (the other is the small amount they pay the accommodation owners for guaranteed occupancy).

Personally I wouldn't even opt out and go by taxi if I were splitting the cost between three people. Many others would disagree. Getting there an hour earlier seems trivial to me.

Mike

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
Like Jackie, we've had coach transfers (once 3.5 hours in the dark and the plane had been delayed by several hours - not the best journey that one!), minibus and taxi.  Whilst we are extremely grateful when we are given a taxi, we are philosophical and see the journey as part of the experience.  If nothing else, enjoy the shadenfreude of thinking "Glad I'm not staying here."  That doesn't work quite so well in the dark though.

It is difficult to put an optimistic face on the journey back to the airport, by any form of transport.

Arnaki

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »
With you on that one Arnaki. When all said and done it's "DEFINITELY WORTH THE WAIT" at least on the way to Plakias. Whats a few hours when you're going to Plakias for X amount of days/weeks? Just make sure you've got a BIG bottle of water with you.

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
Thanks to you all who've replied. Really I was just hoping that somebody who had maybe transferred in the past few weeks might have had something to say about how transfers are going at the moment. However I agree with everything you old hands have said. Like Jackie, we've had taxis (see below), a minibus, reasonably speedy coaches, unreasonably slow coaches. Maybe see you on the transfer Jackie, if our flight gets delayed!
And yes Mike, I appreciate it's all part of the deal with Olympic you have to expect some discomfort. Though having said that, two years ago, our last time in Plakias, Olympic stated that transfers would not be included, but they were happy to book us a taxi at an extra couple of a hundred euros. Ditto last year when we went to Stoupa with them.
And Arnaki is spot on in saying it's not easy to be cheerful about the return. I recall a few years ago (well I won't go into it or you will all think I'm a whinger but what I will say is that I took it as compliment that the rep must have assumed that I had the bladder control of a man half my age).
But yes, Daza is dead right isn't he - it's worth the wait and it all seems great when you relax into that first drink in the warmth!
Robert

Offline JeanW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
In May this year, transfer was 3.5 hours both ways.  However, we were offered comfort breaks at drop offs/pick ups en route.

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Jean.  Hmm.....

Offline Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
End of June we had mini bus both ways same as last year. Sometimes with couple of stops near Rethymnon

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »
Thanks Billy. Consensus seems to be that the Olympic gods will decide how and when and it's not for hubristic mortals to second guess their divine machinations.