login

Author Topic: Parking for disabled  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Susie

• View Profile
    • Email
Parking for disabled
« on: June 10, 2016, 10:28:21 AM »
I cannot walk very far, I have a blue badge.

I am concerned there will be nowhere to park near the beach or tavernas at night. I can only manage, at a push, about 40 metres on foot

If it is difficult can anyone suggest other places which have got easy parking please

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
Re: Parking for disabled
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:43:33 PM »
The front at Plakias is flat, with the beach on one side of the road and many tavernas, bars etc on the other, so you wont have to walk very far at all. If you are travelling with someone else you can always let them drop you off at the restaurant door and then use  the nearby car park. No restaurant owners would bother about this in the slightest, think of it as pretty much opposite to some of the attitudes you come across in the UK.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
You can also try google streetview. Just to have a look.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
One of our Forum members also has mobility problems and  a Plakias regular. I  am sure she will have some good tips. I have some further suggestions. Souda beach has two excellent tavernas both with good parking as does Damnoni beach with five tavernas. Mariou village has a great Taverna belonging to the Violakis family and a fantastic view and food. It also has its own car park. I recommend you eat here at least once on your holiday. I know the poor driver cannot have more than one drink but can always have a drink when back in Plakias. Where are you staying?  We can think of more solutions once we know.

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »
Hi I am disabled & spend at least two holidays each year in Plakias. There are no disabled parking bays as such but last year when the parking rules came in we did try to respect it. My husband had a chat to a police officer & asked his advice. He said   park up where is easiest for you & if you do get a ticket take it to Rethymnon police station & it will be cancelled. Alternatively I get dropped off nearest to bar or tavern & Dave parks the car. We missed our spring holiday but hope to be back in Aug/Sept.
This may not be much help but i'm sure you will find a solution & enjoy. The beach front is flat & there are many seats that I rest on along the way. Also the local taxi guys are brilliant & helpful.
I hope you have a fantastic holiday & enjoy. Plakias is the best & the people are so friendly & helpful.
All the best.
Lesley

Offline Susie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »
Thank you everyone!! We are staying at Labyrinth Studios. We have been to Crete many times but never to this area.  Mirtos is the nearest we have been on the South coast.

We shall be driving from the airport in the dark, plane lands at 9pm, I can see it is easy to Rethymnon, is the road good and easy to follow after that? We are very used to narrow twisty roads living in one of the hilliest parts of the Cotswolds!! Not quite up to some Crete roads but we have driven over the middle a few times so we know what to expect. LOL We are coming at the end of September

Thanks again for all your help

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 01:46:46 PM »
Hi, Hope you really enjoy your stay in Plakias.....think we'll be there the same time as you. The route from Heraklion isn't too difficult....I've done it so many times now (as have others). Once you are on the main coastal highway (easy exit right from the airport), the roads are pretty good. Once you are level with Rethymnon there is a turnoff (feeder route) to the right signposted to Spilli and then a turning left that takes you under the highway. This goes up over the first mountain ridge. There aren't many turnings off after that. Continue through the village of Armeni and soon after is a right turn which is signposted Plakias. This is the mountain road and will eventually take you through the Gorge and then through Assomatos. From there it is only a few kms to Plakias which is well signposted. It should lead you through the village of Lefkogia and I think the Labyrinth Studios are a little further along. Hope I'm right. No doubt someone will correct me. Enjoy ! (PS I find hills and steps difficult but have never had a problem in Plakias....most of it is flat, there are loads of places to sit and rest and only one incline to the west of the village on the way to Souda. My Mum didn't find it too bad either and she could only walk a little way).

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
Hi Susie,

I assume you know that Labrynth Studios are quite a way out of the village, and with no tavernas close by (as far as I know)?  So you will almost certainly need to drive wherever you go.

I am disabled and can't walk far, but we don't hire a car in Crete.  Plakias is compact and we stay in the centre. I take my wheelchair (and my ever helpful husband!) to enable us to get a bit further afield.  Lesley who has already answered is the expert on Plakias parking.

This site gives useful information about using the Blue Badge outside the UK, which you might find helpful:  http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/blue_badge_abroad.pdf.  On the main road, it may depend on whether the 10 minutes stopping restriction is classed as waiting time or parking time.  You can't park where parking is prohibited, but you can where it is time limited, according to the section on Greece. This website also has a little statement in Greek which you can display with your blue badge, if that helps.  However, do you really want to go to Rethymno police station to have your ticket annulled when you could be sunbathing or sight seeing?

Enjoy Plakias, I am sure you will.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 06:11:43 PM by Arnaki »

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Thank you Arnaki very useful link for using the blue badge in different countries.
I notice from the webcams that most people are ignoring the parking restrictions but possibly there are still some occasional police patrols. Last year these were few & far between & most people were getting a warning that rippled through the village ahead of the patrol so that people could move their cars.
Whether disabled or able bodied we will all have a great time in Plakias as we always do.
Roll on August
Yamas

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 08:21:24 PM »
Ah yes you are a little outside Plakias and will need a vehicle.Not a bad position as you are close to the turning for Damnoni beach which has accessible Tavernas. There is a new tarmac road as you drive towards Plakias, a left turn down to Paligremnos, otherwise known as the "Far End".Lovely beach bar and Paligremnos Taverna and all on the flat.

Offline Susie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 06:13:43 PM »
You are all brilliant, loads of help and info, thanks you!!