login

Author Topic: Lysseos  (Read 37268 times)

Offline musicman

• View Profile
    • http://
Lysseos
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
my turn to be the dissenting voice on this thread  (sorry uli, ems and roger), although i must say mandy really likes Lysseos, i don't rate it, i find the portion sizes too small, the food a little boring and the (female) staff indifferent to unfriendly

I would have to agree with this opinion, having ate there once, during the last week, our party were mot impressed

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
Somehow they seem to have less custom than they used to. I can remember years when they used to pack more tables in and they were full. I notice that they still have gas lanterns - I can remember when they had to be used fairly regular - power cuts were a feature of going to Greek islands.

Greecemad

well it was very full most nights this year, we ate there once and we enjoyed it, i had a steak (which was pretty good) and mandy had her fav, the pork aphelia ( she loved it)

btw they're not gas lanterns, they are gas heaters! you can pick them up pretty cheap these days and they can extend those nights in the garden  

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
well it was very full most nights this year, we ate there once and we enjoyed it, i had a steak (which was pretty good) and mandy had her fav, the pork aphelia ( she loved it)

btw they're not gas lanterns, they are gas heaters! you can pick them up pretty cheap these days and they can extend those nights in the garden  

Harribobs,

I have just returned from Plakias and I will agree with you that they were busier than I remembered from the last time I was there, but I think Plakias in general was busier - it may be because there are now a lot of people from the Czech Republic there (I assume they are all Czech anyway - I couldn't recognise the language that a lot of them were speaking) - at least a couple of the bars had young Czechs working there and they couldn't understand my Greek.  

Lysseos does have gas heaters, I think. But the gas lanterns are hanging from the roof, where the fans are. I don't they would be much good as heaters up there!

Greecemad

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
I thought they were lights too, probably because they lit them when we had a power cut last year  

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 09:36:30 PM »
opps sorry i missed them!

i know there was at least one power cut while we were there but it didn't affect us

Offline ems

• View Profile
Lysseos
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »
Just returned home today... its official - Lysseos does the best food in Plakias, leagues ahead of any of the others. And the service is excellent too  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »
Quote from: ems
Just returned home today... its official - Lysseos does the best food in Plakias, leagues ahead of any of the others. And the service is excellent too  
I'll pass on your comments to Lito when I see her in six weeks time.  

george g...

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 03:01:41 PM »

I qm amazed to see ths thread still going strong a year after i started it and delighted to see another thumbs up for the Lyssoes . Please help whet my appetite Ems - my favourites include the kleftiko , lamb in the oevn , chicken skrtado , pork afelia , the roasts , the stuffed pork .. cant remember others but I usually manage two weeks without repeating anything until the last couple of days when i revert to my favourites .
 anything new this year ?
 roger

Offline boxerlover

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »
Quote from: roger

I qm amazed to see ths thread still going strong a year after i started it and delighted to see another thumbs up for the Lyssoes . Please help whet my appetite Ems - my favourites include the kleftiko , lamb in the oevn , chicken skrtado , pork afelia , the roasts , the stuffed pork .. cant remember others but I usually manage two weeks without repeating anything until the last couple of days when i revert to my favourites .
 anything new this year ?
 roger

I had baby goat in the Lysseos this year.....it was delicious as is all their food . Also Lito's home made gateaux are to die for as a desert as are the strawberries and cream.....yum yum.
Roll on September  

Offline ems

• View Profile
Lysseos
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
Quote from: roger

anything new this year ?
 roger

baby goat is indeed delicious, as is the rabbit merenge. not sure if there was anything new as such, although I tried the chicken curry this year for the first time and it was amazing. Gutted I didnt get to try the pork lemonata... or the afore mentioned gateaux!!!  ... we had the same tactic as you, try everything !

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 12:20:28 PM »
I've always avoided the Curries ems, perhaps at the back of my mind they weren't Cretan, but on your recommendation I'll give it a go.

george g...

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »
Quote from: George
I've always avoided the Curries ems, perhaps at the back of my mind they weren't Cretan, but on your recommendation I'll give it a go.

george g...

I haver never tried the curry at Lysseos - but I very rarely have curry at anything other than an indina restaurant and it seems slightly od to have curry at a Greek restaurant . I doubt i will try that given the terrific choice of other dishes which i cannot get in this country
 Yes I had the baby goat last year- i think it was new then - and it was excellent . Not so keen on the rabbit ramngo and from meory that is rather more expensive than most other dishes . And the duck a l'orange is really good   but not often on - apparently it does not sell well which surpises me . There was a new lamb dish last year or the year before - harama i think with tomatos and onions from meory . For some reason the lamb there is always very tasty whereas i normally think of lamb as a bit bland
 40 days to go - I will be a day later than you Goerge at the Lysseos because I am on a night flight so it will be wednesday night for me . So please check that the leftiko and the lamb in the oen are both on - I usually start with one of those and can never decide which one is my favourite
 the starters and sweets are perhaps less adventuours than the main courses and certsainly less choice . I usully dont bother with a starter but always have a sweet - yoghourt and honey , a cake , peach melba , strawberries and cream  i wish they did yoghourt and fruit but I will go for that if they close fr an evening and I have to go elsewhere
 roger

Offline boxerlover

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »

george g...

I also can highly recommend the chicken curry.......yum yum  

John

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 01:25:34 PM »
Quote from: boxerlover

george g...

I also can highly recommend the chicken curry.......yum yum  

John
Well that's it then, Chicken Curry at the top of the list as I've never tried it in Plakias.  

Roger
Does your PC have a spell check?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
There are lots of comments on this thread and others about tavernas but in the "Article System" there are no reviews for 2007. For new forum members this could be a useful resource and even for us regular visitors it gives encouragement to try tavernas other than our favourites of previous years. Ditto accommodation.

Paul (Ploppy), how about another "Your Forum Needs You" appeal for reviews. If everyone who has been this year were to write some it would make a good collection.

Mike