Author Topic: design your own accomodation  (Read 19143 times)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
design your own accomodation
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 12:52:39 PM »
We met up with on chap who's nearly finished renovating a house on the Mariou / Asomatos road - pure Crete on the outside and pure UK country cottage on the inside with oak beams etc. and every socket is imported UK square pin so that solves that problem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

uk plugs sound like a good idea for us tourists but won't that cause you problems with greek electrical goods?

chris

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jim-murray.co.uk
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 01:36:49 PM »
yup - i wasn't seriously proposing that we do that - for one thing, tourists are maybe more likely to be german or these days e. european. Mostly we'll have a permanent set of appliances out there and for portable stuff i'll just keep a stock of adapters.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 01:56:05 PM »
yup - i wasn't seriously proposing that we do that - for one thing, tourists are maybe more likely to be german or these days e. european. Mostly we'll have a permanent set of appliances out there and for portable stuff i'll just keep a stock of adapters.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that sounds like the more sensible option, mandy and me were talking about your project and she reiterated one point that was made earlier, there must be a socket near the mirror  

where abouts is your place going to be? near the peligramnos?  that area?

chris

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 09:01:09 PM »
I've got a basic map - try this url - tell me if it doesn't work

http://www.white-box.co.uk/xirokorio

on that page you'll see a mention of 'the lemon trees' - that's what we're thinking of calling the place

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 09:38:17 PM »

on that page you'll see a mention of 'the lemon trees' - that's what we're thinking of calling the place
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the link, paleo - Good luck with the project.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 09:54:46 AM »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the link works fine, i know where you mean now, in fact i'm wondering if i actually know exactly the place, two years ago we walked down the back lane nearly every day going over to shinaria, preveli etc and i remember them clearing a section, it must be very close

well i think you have got a great location, and i'm not jealous at all....not one bit  

(roll on the 17th may!  )

chris

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2005, 10:20:47 AM »
Well the deed is done - we have exchanged contracts on the sale of our home in Barnes (SW London). Completion date is June 1 but since we are off to Plakias on May 31 we'll have to be moved out by May 30th. One fairly large Edwardian house filled with 35 years worth of stuff to be packed up and put into store. We've found a smaller place on the other side of the River (Chiswick) as our pied-a-terre in London and with a bit of luck that might go through by the time we get back so we might actually have somewhere to live (can't stay in Plakias since Liz wants to go back to work for a while in the hospital she works at - as for me , I'd settle for cloud-spotting from Plakias beach). Otherwise we'll be camping out at various sons' and other rellies' houses for a while.

The sadness at leaving the family home is eased by a couple of things - 1 - we are planning various extensions etc in the new Chiswick pad (looks like Liz might eventually get conservatory plus sunken hot tub and some other toys) - and 2 - we'll probably put down the first slice of money for the Plakias villa, so actual building work might start in a few months and we might even get in at the end of next year.

So we're in for a time of great change - I should really be settling down and being sensible at my age.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 02:57:54 PM »
So we're in for a time of great change - I should really be settling down and being sensible at my age.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

get out of it! we're all insanely jealous of you! well done

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »
Quote from: paleo
We met up with on chap who's nearly finished renovating a house on the Mariou / Asomatos road - pure Crete on the outside and pure UK country cottage on the inside with oak beams etc. and every socket is imported UK square pin so that solves that problem

that's my great friends Brian and Kathy Barwise. The "renovations" continue a pace and now include an infinity pool, bar room, hot tub, greenhouses and fresh water pond/pool. And we are visiting in 5 weeks time Whooppee!
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 08:13:04 AM »
Quote from: Tony Smith

that's my great friends Brian and Kathy Barwise. The "renovations" continue a pace and now include an infinity pool, bar room, hot tub, greenhouses and fresh water pond/pool. And we are visiting in 5 weeks time Whooppee!
Tony-
This sounds exciting- I am also getting ready to put in a pool- Could your friends let me know who they are using as contractors/plumber?
Santa

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »
Quote from: Santa
Quote from: Tony Smith

Tony-
This sounds exciting- I am also getting ready to put in a pool- Could your friends let me know who they are using as contractors/plumber?
Santa

Brian has done all the work himself. Before they "retired" out to Crete he was a general builder and landscape gardener. That's how we came to know him as he did a lot of work on both my neighbours house and our own. He does have a great number of contacts in the Plakias area though and I'm sure that if you contacted him he would be able to point you in an appropriate direction. Message me on the forum and and I will pass on some contact details.Tony
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 03:12:57 PM by Tony Smith »
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 06:27:34 PM »
Well - we've had the plot for about 6 years now and the build started 2 or 3 years ago. But I got diverted and didn't push the builders and then we decided to go for EOT approval and that held things up for a while when a bit of redesign had to be done (ramps for disabled access etc - it's all on one level except the pool (access by ramp) anyway) and there were a couple of hiccups BUT we've eventually been told we can get the keys and move in. There's a few Os and Ss that we have to get done when we get there (of course) so last night we booked flights for 2 weeks - last 2 weeks of June - then back to UK for a month then I hope back to P for August and September to get the last few things done (including getting some furniture) between spells of cloud spotting at the far end.

The idea of building rooms fizzled out (good thing too) and we ended up with a single level villa built around a courtyard. There's the main building with lounge, kitchen and 3 double bedrooms then opposite there's a separate studio with kitchen and 2 cloistery kind of things - cool shady areas dug into the hill and faced with stone arches. At one ond of the courtyard is the pool looking over the olive trees to the bay - nice view at sunset. Then at the front there's car parking (for 4 cars (that's EOT for you)) and downstairs there's quite a big basement (about 50 sqm).

There are as yet some quite ugly retaining walls at the front but we'll arange to have them faced somehow when we get there and the front will be planted so that the plants hang over them.

New map and plan at http://www.jim-murray.co.uk/xirokorio. Pics soon I hope - the ones we have are just of a building site

Do say hello and come and have a look if you want and we're there at the same time.

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
Well - we're in for a hectic Saturday - land in HER early am and hope to find the car thats been left for us - grab a couple of hours zzz in the car then call in at heraklion to test whether the Bank of Pireaus has upped the number of euros I can take out of my Crete account (as they have promised) - then find some shops to buy bed linen , crockery and cutlery and a few pots n pans - just a starter pack - oh yes and some grub I suppose. Then back to the airport early afternoon to pick up son and his family and so to Plakias (via Agia Pelagia - to pay someone for some 2nd hand furniture we saw on the internet) in time to intercept that furniture that's being delivered by someone else we found on the internet plus some beds that we ordered from a bed maker (carpenter type bed maker - not room maid) in Chania. And everyone wants paid in cash (hence bank arrangement I made via phone today - hope it all works). Then ceremonial opening of new villa with bottle of lemonade - try the new cooker and make something to eat - put grandkids to bed - try the pool - cup o tea - game set n match.

Think it'll work ?

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
How exciting Paleo, I envy you. I hope you have a lovely time and don't rush around too much, take some time to chill    

Look forward to seeing the photo's when you get back.

Susan

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »
Well - we're in for a hectic Saturday - land in HER early am and hope to find the car thats been left for us - grab a couple of hours zzz in the car then call in at heraklion to test whether the Bank of Pireaus has upped the number of euros I can take out of my Crete account (as they have promised) - then find some shops to buy bed linen , crockery and cutlery and a few pots n pans - just a starter pack - oh yes and some grub I suppose. Then back to the airport early afternoon to pick up son and his family and so to Plakias (via Agia Pelagia - to pay someone for some 2nd hand furniture we saw on the internet) in time to intercept that furniture that's being delivered by someone else we found on the internet plus some beds that we ordered from a bed maker (carpenter type bed maker - not room maid) in Chania. And everyone wants paid in cash (hence bank arrangement I made via phone today - hope it all works). Then ceremonial opening of new villa with bottle of lemonade - try the new cooker and make something to eat - put grandkids to bed - try the pool - cup o tea - game set n match.

Think it'll work ?

Hi Paleo,

Sounds fantastic,

I've just been out in May to try & furnish our new apartment, which I say was more difficult than I imagined on my own. I had a lot of help from Greek & English friends. I know some great places now to buy furniture & kitchen things etc. It does depend the sort of things you want of course.  If you are interested, give me a call or e-mail me & I'll tell you about the places I went to, all mainly in Rethymno but with bigger stores in Chania & Heraklion. I also would be interested in
any places you know or find as we still need more & are going back last week of June & 1st week of July.

My tel number is ????????????? & e-mail ??????????@hotmail.co.uk

Hope to hear from you

Rowena

P.S Do know a great place for Bed linen & another for crockery & pot's & pans!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:39:41 PM by Ploppy »