Author Topic: News  (Read 941 times)

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
Re: News, tui group development
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
Just been researching TUI's plans to open a new "Robinson" resort on south coast of Crete. I immediately thought of Damnoni...but fortunately its somewhere near Ierapita, so no worries for now, although I feel someday all of Plakias bay and Damnoni will be urbanised...sad!

I read that the famous Plakias wind is sandblasting as usual...has anyone got any explanation for this , such as local topography, particular weather or wind directions?

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: News
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
My understanding is that when the Meltemi blows in summer, a wind from the north, it is funnelled down the two gorges which increases the wind strength. Some spots of Plakias seem windier than others, which may have to do with the alignment with the gorges perhaps? I'm disabled and nearly got blown off my feet a couple of times yesterday, but today the wind is lighter with the usual strong gusts here and there. None of the wind and weather forecasts seem accurate!

Offline kalloni

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: News
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »
The Plakias winds are part of the summer Greek meltimi winds which originate around the mountains of central and Eastern Europe, passes over the Black Sea then funnels through the bosphouros and down the Aegean Sea. When it reaches Crete along the north coast it is then concentrated through the various north to south gorges. Plakias is at the end of a short straight gorge ending very close to the the village so the wind unfoturnately does not have time to break up before reaching the sea.
The winds show up well on the ventusky or windytv apps or webpages as mentioned in April posts this year.
Hope I haven't bored you to much.