login

Author Topic: Plakias somewhere else?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias somewhere else?
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
Is there any other greek island, higher up than Crete (not hard) that won't be so hot in July  that has places 'like' Plakias? no high rise hotels and stuff like that? I need to go somewhere different this year :    : just for a change! any ideas?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias somewhere else?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »
Quote from: Barny
Is there any other greek island, higher up than Crete (not hard) that won't be so hot in July  that has places 'like' Plakias? no high rise hotels and stuff like that? I need to go somewhere different this year :    : just for a change! any ideas?

Barny.

What's important to you on your holiday?
Are you a far end user? Do you hire a car/moped or walk to the beach? Are you planning to go independently or with a travel company?
Do you mind a ferry journey / long coach transfer?
And you have to remember that anywhere in the Med. can be scorching if there is another heatwave, it's the whole area not just the southern islands, We were in Corfu at the back end of the heatwave in 1987 and it was nearly too hot to do anything.

Colin & Sandra

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias somewhere else?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
Quote from: Barny

Barny.

I agree with the previous post that further north in Greece is likely to be just as hot in high summer as Plakias (and possibly without the cooling wind Plakias is known for), even though the sun is a bit lower in the sky.

Other good resorts I know from personal exprience and like are Tingaki (Kos) and Petra (Lesvos) (both with "far end" beaches near). This year, as well as Plakias I'm risking Agios Georgios (Corfu; often anglicised to St. George south) which was great in the mid 90s when I last went. You might also consider Koukounaries (Skiathos), Scala (Kefalonia) or Skopelos Town.

Try the following thread which was started some time ago.

http://forums.plakias.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=383

Mike