Author Topic: Olympic rep saga  (Read 15148 times)

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olympic rep saga
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
Watch out Scotland........!

Offline Colin

• View Profile
    • http://www.nowyoudo.co.uk
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
We visited Plakias mid June again when Dom was there, nice lad but to young for Plakias. He told us he was off round the world next year on one of those work/sight seeing schemes.  Sorry to hear we wont be getting Les back, quiz night at Kostas was always a good laugh.

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
Came back last week after a fortnight in Plakias. No Olympic welcome as we arrived late at night at Sofia. Next day  Reception told us where to find Elspeth. We went along and introduced ourselves. We had a bit of a problem at Sofia (more later in another post) which we sorted ourselves, but Elspeth was helpful and sympathetic. She seems very capable.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
So, who is the Olympic rep for 2017, is it still Elspeth or has she moved on and a new replacement in place now? I was in Plakias last June/July and Dom was there while handing over to his replacement. I now understand his replacement has moved on and was replaced by Elspeth (or did Dom return for a while)? Who is there now, as I go in four weeks time (yippee)!

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
I've not been to Plakias yet this summer, so no first-hand information. However I've been told that Elspeth is still the Olympic rep. Looking forward to meeting her in August.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »
Just returned on early Saturday morning (the washing has been done and the routine is slowly getting back to normal).

Yes, Elspeth was the rep and very pleasant she was, and very helpful too.

The weather was sunny every day except one partly beckoning cloudy day, though I only felt a few specks of a shower and stayed on the beach. The next day had a few light wispy clouds but nothing serious. Water still a bit cool though warming up by the end of the week. Overall a good week with lots of our German neighbours present and not so many British.

Stopped at Kostas and Chrysoulla, both Kostas and Angelo there as normal. Food great at some places though had a few dry dishes from the so-called specials board at some other places. Probably on the specials board because it was all pre-cooked (e.g. Pastitsio/and Gyros).

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
"Overall a good week with lots of our German neighbours present and not so many British".
I am wondering why so few British. Brexit/Price - or is it simply cos Olympic aren't doing transfers to Plakias (et al) from anywhere except for Gatwick and Manchester.
Shot themselves in the foot there! (at least from my perspective). Oh well - there's always next year I suppose. Fingers crossed.
(Hi Arnaki!!)
Daza

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »
"Overall a good week with lots of our German neighbours present and not so many British".
I am wondering why so few British. Brexit/Price - or is it simply cos Olympic aren't doing transfers to Plakias (et al) from anywhere except for Gatwick and Manchester.
Shot themselves in the foot there! (at least from my perspective). Oh well - there's always next year I suppose. Fingers crossed.
(Hi Arnaki!!)
Daza

Agree on the transfers, though our return transfer was certainly full of adventure. The coach driver got stuck down a tiny street in Rethymnon and only just got out of, and then had to boot it back to the airport. I think he received some complaints as there were less than 2 hours left before take-off.

There has to be something to be said for hiring a car from the airport and saving on the transfer. The South of the Island has so much to offer and personal transport would be helpful. Maybe that is the way it will be for most who want to get to the South with the package companies/Olympic?

:)

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
If it wasn't for the transfers, I'd probably travel independently, although a package gives ABTA  protection. Having said that, I couldn't get anything much cheaper independently for the high season. Next year we'll no longer be tied to school holidays so hope to get a bargain one way or another (may catch up with you then Daza!!)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
There is a body of opinion that the 80 odd mile distance from the airports has prevented Plakias from changing for the worse over the years. I think there is truth in this.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
Agreed Mike.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline knownort

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 03:04:22 PM »
Except for the jet ski's !!.

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »
Yes- those were a bit pesky this year.  Like having a team of next door neighbours mowing their lawns the whole day!

Offline knownort

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
I'm afraid they put a big doubt into whether we return to plakias again. How can one business be allowed to ruin such a lovely place.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 01:39:18 PM »
I thought they'd been banned from the bay because of the noise intrusion and the thin film of pollution they leave on the water.....hey ho...cant win everything. I can cope with the kite surfers and windsurfers but the jet skis are a real annoyance.