Author Topic: First Choice Pull out of Plakias!  (Read 47337 times)

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
First Choice Pull out of Plakias!
« on: June 25, 2004, 12:25:31 PM »
This my first posting on the site and unfortunately it's bad news! I've been checking First Choice's website over the weeks for the latest discounts on Irida Studios at Plakias. They keep showing up as unavailable for summer 2005 (as does Stella Pension). I emailed their eteam and received a reply that they have been withdrawn from the brochure. In panic mode I telephoned customer services this morning as was told that First Choice have withdrawn from Plakias completely!
That only leaves Olympic with properties in Plakias and they are considerably more expensive. My wife and I paid only £184 each for two weeks at the Irida for the last two weeks in May (flights are more than that) What's more important though is the capacity at Plakias will be reduced considerably.

Grahame

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 04:20:33 PM »
WOW, and some folk have already booked for 2005.  maybe its time for them to confirm.  We did use First Choice for several years, but for the last few we have travelled independantly.  I should think that their (First Choice) flights will still be available.  The people of Plakias who depend on tourists will be devastated.
Yvonne

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 05:13:07 PM »
Worrying!
I went to the First Choice site - and (eventually) managed to chat to an operator.
It went like this:
Kat: Welcome to our live chat service.
Kat: How may I help you?
John: Hello
John: Could you tell me please if it will be possible to book holidays in Plakias, Crete next year
Kat: It is, yes. They are all available online and you can check them by following these instructions:
Kat: You are able to create your own search online by clicking on the 'Sun Holidays' link, from the homepage. You can view, select and book your chosen holiday online. All our availability is LIVE and all prices are correct as you view them and include discounts. We regret that we are unable to quote prices via the chat service.
John: Thanks - you should be aware that people are being told that 1st Choice is pulling out of the resort
John: http://forums.plakias.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=298
John: and I did try to search - didn't get any results
Kat: It may be that there are plans to pull out of the resort at the end of the season next year, rather than stopping it from next year onwards. Normally we are advised of this just before the brochures are released and our brochures for next year have been out for some time now.
John: OK - so we will be OK for next year - might have problems in 2006?
Kat: That may be the case, yes, but I can't confirm that as we won't be given information about the 2006 season until May next year
John: OK Kat - thanks for the info. I will post it so that other regular visitors know what's going on
Kat: Thank you for chatting, please contact us at any time.
John: Sure thing - bye for now!

SO - looks as if 2005 will be OK - don't count on 2006!
John - Ostraco

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 07:44:36 PM »
That is great that First choice are back next year -Iwould not go with Olympic as I have had two bad exeprienceswith them though not in plakias
There often seem to be ruours that First choice will pull out next year or the year after - thankfully always so far false rumours
 Just about to book Stella pension for 10to 24 august and have persuaded  new Plakias virgin partner to come  with me

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 08:49:55 AM »
I've booked in Stella, First Choice, late Setember 2005.
I've just done a search on their website for a holiday there in September 2005 and got an immediate positive result.

Last year we had a similar panic and discovered that their computer seems to have limited facilities. During our panic quite a few of us were booking our slots - all for the same period, all at Stella. During this booking activity we noticed that the search engine would not come up with our specific requirements while others were booking and for a little time afterwards. Even computers might need a little time to process bookings and avoid a double booking and/or overloading a flight. Perhaps there was a lot of booking activity for Plakias during the recent times that Plakias seemed unavailable. Just a theory.

John R.

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 11:44:18 AM »
We have been told that Apollo apartments are being taken over by a British tour operator next year (currently mainly czech) and seperatly we have been told that Kosmar are going to start coming to Plakias.  No idea if the two are combined.  Argo Travel also come to Plakias at the moment and have a couple of rooms at Apollo.  Have had bad reports about Argo e.g. people having to pay £109 for the transfer and then having four people in a taxi.  Olympic are also being really bad on transfers, many people have turned up in the middle of the night and have either by dropped in the main square or outside apartments and left to find their own rooms.  Olympic have no rep based in Plakias this year but First Choice have an excellent rep this year, a guy called Gary, who is very committed to his job and trying to ensure problems are sorted as best he can.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 12:54:10 PM »
Hi Ali!  
Thanks for posting! It's so good to have on-the-spot news from our Plakias reporter!.
I'm also looking forward to popping into the shop again in August to catch up on the gossip you can't post!

We have been told that Apollo apartments are being taken over by a British tour operator next year (currently mainly czech)
Not the best apartments in town - but some nice rooms. Last time I stayed there, was with SunMed!
we have been told that Kosmar are going to start coming to Plakias.
would be good to see more competition!
I have mailed Kosmar with a general enquiry about Plakias availability for 2005, and requested a brochure. I'll post if/when I hear anything.
Argo Travel also come to Plakias at the moment and have a couple of rooms at Apollo. Have had bad reports about Argo e.g. people having to pay £109 for the transfer and then having four people in a taxi.
Argo seem to operate in a different way to most other companies - checked their brochures a couple of times, and always found cheaper!
Olympic are also being really bad on transfers, many people have turned up in the middle of the night and have either by dropped in the main square or outside apartments and left to find their own rooms.
I guess that's OK for regulars - though carrying a heavy suitcase from the square to Dora is not fun!!
Olympic have no rep based in Plakias this year but First Choice have an excellent rep this year, a guy called Gary, who is very committed to his job and trying to ensure problems are sorted as best he can.
Olympic seem to be slipping. I guess we were spoilt by the good times when reps like Kelly and Jacinta looked after us so well.
We went with first choice this year, and were generally impressed. I can certainly endorse what Ali says about Gary - sadly it's unusual to find such an effective and hard-working rep these days.
John - Ostraco

Offline plakias34

• MSN Messenger - plakias34
    • AOL Instant Messenger - plakias34@aol.co
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 01:08:06 PM »
Hey Guys, don't hold your breath for Kosmar, already have their brochure for 2005 and Plakias is not in there, still, may be in a a later edition!
John (ostraco) and I went with Argo a couple of years ago to Kefalonia on a last minute thing, we got a great deal and had a great time but they do seem to be very expensive normally and charge extra for everything!

Steve

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 03:37:35 PM »
As you will see under the "Brochures 2005" correspondence, I have booked for 2005 already, as has John R. First Choice has sent all the documentation, so on the face of it it seems unlikely that they have pulled put. I hope not as the prices on the internet were excellent. Olympic is significantly more for the accommodation I have booked, namely the Kostas Chysoulla.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 10:35:38 AM »
I emailed First Choice two days ago, asking simply, 'Could you please let me know if current rumours that you are pulling out of Plakias, Crete for next year are true?'
I got a reply this morning
Thank you for your e-mail.

This is not something that we here at website support are aware of.

I will however check with our products department and reply to you again if they have any further information regarding this matter.

Regards

Internet support
First Choice Holidays

Search for holidays and book flights online at http://www.firstchoice.co.uk

So now we know! (And I've not yet received a reply from Kosmar)
John - Ostraco

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 09:15:19 AM »
I.ve telephoned First Choice again this morning abd was told again that all properties have been withdrawn in Plakias for 2005. What's going on?

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 11:50:56 PM »
Still no clarification from First Choice then!

However, I did have it confirmed today that Kosmar will be in Plakias next year - look out for the 2nd edition brochure - which is not yet available.
John - Ostraco

Offline marmaliser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 07:47:19 AM »
Hi,I have been following this correspondence and decided to check out the First Choice website. Unless I am not following the links proprely, I cannot find any reference to Plakias at all for 2005!!

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 08:12:03 AM »
Worked for me this morning.

Click on Summer Sun (top left)

Then at bottom of box type in Stella Pension in the accommodation box and October 2005 in the month box. Stella Pension in Plakias came up straight away.

John R

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 12:04:18 PM »
I just did the search as you suggest John, and found Stella.
However, when I checked availability, for all dates in 2005, all I got was a message like this:
We have checked availability between Mon 30 May 2005 and Mon 06 Jun 2005, and unfortunately the holiday you've chosen is not available. Please click Search Earlier or Search Later for other dates.
I also checked Irida - which comes up on the search, but gives the same results when I check availability!
John - Ostraco