Author Topic: Have you booked your 2013 yet?  (Read 12719 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Have you booked your 2013 yet?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
The price was very good, both in resort and at the duty free at Mytillini airport, which, by the way is the best Greek airport ever, a 1 Litre bottle of ouzo Mini was 13 euros, which at lasts years exchange rate of 1.22 euros/£ made it £10.66 alitre,Yiammas
I did a bit a checking back re. ouzo prices in Greece. In 2005 I bought a 2l. bottle in a Plakias s/m for 8.60€. So, a huge hike in price compared to that quoted by JBMouse. In the same time a 0.5l. carafe of house wine in Mousses has gone from 2.20€ to 2.50€ in 2012 and also the food prices in Mousses haven't inflated much either.

At those prices I don't supose I shall ever buy ouzo again. Especially, as having a daughter living in France she brings me pastis which satisfies by liking for the taste of aniseed.

Mike

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
Hooray!  Managed to book Plakias for July and Sougia for September all for a reasonable price. Happy now. I. Know. I may not make it as nothing is sure with my treatment. We needed something to look forward to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
Hi Lampyland,

I'm pleased you managed to book Plakias at the right price.  Could you please report back on Sougia, as that is somewhere I fancy, once we are no longer bringing a teenager along with us and having to holiday in high season.  I think that Sougia would be too quiet for her.  I'm looking for quiet places, with a Greek atmosphere, and with a reasonably accessible naturist beach.  It looks to me if Sougia fits the bill, although I have seen some pictures of very inaccessible-looking beaches around Sougia.

Enjoy your holidays and I hope you keep well for them. We were in Plakias in July last year and it was hotter than August.  I don't know if that was unusual.  There was very little wind for several days, then the wind picked up, and pick up it did - sunbeds, (metal) balcony furniture, roof tiles....  But then it wouldn't be Plakias in the summer without the force 7 winds and free exfoliation on the beach.

Arnaki

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
May I just add  my views on Sougia in response to Arnaki's posting.  Having spent a week there every year and a week in Plakias for at least the last ten years.
 They are very different places,  Plakias is more town like and Sougia a very small quiet village. The most spectacular way to arrive is by ferry .  After just a few days you will get to know all the taverna owners & shop keepers. All  extremely friendly and helpful.  Sougia has two small supermarkets and a pastries shop, but no cash machine. It is a wifi hotspot and reception is good. The beach is far superior to Plakias  ( many will disagree, no doubt) and in our experience does not suffer so often from the wind. It is pebble,  has very few sunbeds (only situated nr the Tavernas) & plenty of space to find quiet spots. Clothes is optional on at least half of a very long beach.  Sougia attracts a much younger element who are looking for a more laid back holiday. Camping is allowed at the back of the beach & each day there is an influx of backpackers either by boat or bus. The younger element give Sougia a certain vibrancy that is missing in Plakias. There are two discos one on the road out of town and one at the back of the beach. They operate at hours I don’t understand but staying there you are not aware of any noise nuisance. Not many Brits seem to visit and there are generally rooms to be found. Lots of good walking for hikers.

Stuart

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for that.  It sounds idyllic.  I think it would be the right decision to wait until our 13 year old is either old enough to be part of that younger element, or she is no longer a consideration in family holidays.  It sounds as it if will still be much the same in a few years' time, and in the meantime there are other new places to find, and of course, Plakias.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread a bit....

Arnaki