login

Author Topic: excess baggage charges  (Read 14665 times)

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:43:01 AM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl
Quote from: George
Quote from: harribobs
 oh you can bet i'll be taking it further!!

Hi Chris, how's the campain going, any progress?? Or is that a stupid question  ?

george g...

Ok I didn't learn my lesson!! suitcase was over on way out but was ok as had room in hand luggage to off load 2KG, however despite leaving quite alot in Plakias with the scooter (ok I did buy quite a bit too... but I'm a girl! & the litre of Olive Oil from Eftitios our taxi driver probably didn't help) even so in Heraklion my case was 34 kilo's & Carl's 24 kilo's & he had nothing extra in his bag (Well in fact less as we lost a bag of things whilst in Plakias). Anyway the girl who checked us in was really nice & at first she said we were 13 KG over but she'd only charge for 5KG @ 9 euro's per kilo but then she said if we had another bag we could check in it would be only 15 euro's so the end result wasn't so bad. But never again I will go home with nice clean ironed clothes!! Shall invest in this gadget from Lakeland sounds good, Thanks

I met a fellow on the beach one year who claimed that he bought all his holiday clothes in charity shops and never bothered to take them home.  His strategy might not win the approval of the distaff side but seemed perfectly logical for the men.  I can't ever remember needing my dinner jacket when dining in Plakias!  We haven't resorted to his strategy yet but we would admit to never taking home beach umbrellas, beach mats, and other holiday paraphernalia which we usually offer to anyone on the beach who would like them on our last day.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 08:54:47 AM »
Quote from: Allan Barham
I met a fellow on the beach one year who claimed that he bought all his holiday clothes in charity shops and never bothered to take them home.  His strategy might not win the approval of the distaff side but seemed perfectly logical for the men.  I can't ever remember needing my dinner jacket when dining in Plakias!  We haven't resorted to his strategy yet but we would admit to never taking home beach umbrellas, beach mats, and other holiday paraphernalia which we usually offer to anyone on the beach who would like them on our last day.
On a similar note, the majority of my 'daytime' clothes (for the beach etc.) are bought in the cheap shops, ie Primark, TJ's etc., yes and charity shops, and are disposable items. So a lot of my stuff gets dumped before I come back as well.
What's the point in hanging on to a £2-3 t-shirt!!? Buy some more for next year, when you get back. Been doing it for years!!

george g...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 09:02:38 AM »
I think I tend to hang on to things, The vest I wear in PLakias, as seen in my avatar, was bought from a cheap shop in Sheldon, Birmingham for my first visit to Plakias some 19 years ago and has been on me for every visit. my beach towel is also the same age but the shorts are only ten years old!  23 days to go!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 09:12:29 AM »
Quote from: Barny
I think I tend to hang on to things, The vest I wear in PLakias, as seen in my avatar, was bought from a cheap shop in Sheldon, Birmingham for my first visit to Plakias some 19 years ago and has been on me for every visit. my beach towel is also the same age but the shorts are only ten years old!  23 days to go!

Barny.
Must admit Barny, the 'vest' sounds a bit iffy.  

I've also got a beach towel I've been using since the year dot. Freebie from American Express about 20 years ago. It's getting a bit thin now which is good, cuts down on the weight a bit though!!  

george g...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:12:54 AM by George »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »
It does get washed George!  I've also rented the same motor bike for the last six+ years, I reckon I own it now!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »
That's pretty good Barny, to find a bike that's lasted for 6 years!!

george g...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »
I think its on auto pilot as all it does is, Stella--far end--Antonis--far end--Stella, I did once venture out of Plakias to go to Damnoni but the police had me for no helmet.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
I think its on auto pilot as all it does is, Stella--far end--Antonis--far end--Stella, I did once venture out of Plakias to go to Damnoni but the police had me for no helmet.

Barny.
I was going to call you a lazy G**, but Pete and I have decided to hire the cars lunchtime, and I suppose mine will be doing roughly the same as your bike. Flisvos > far end > Antoni's > Flisvos. With the odd excusion to explore and 'Do' the 'Road'.
It's got to a point where I've been there done that, so it's going to be there just for convienience I suppose.

What's all this got to do with excess luggage?

george g...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 12:20:30 PM »
Oh yes, this is the luggage thread! Talking of leaving things behind, I remember years ago people always left unused or part used stuff in a box at the place where they stayed. I had a big clear plastic Li Lo which I folded up all nice and left for someone to have. This was a bit cruel as it was burst and I had this picture of someone spending time to inflate it, only to find it deflated ten minutes later!
Any one else got a confession?

Barny.

Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »
Quote from: George
On a similar note, the majority of my 'daytime' clothes (for the beach etc.) are bought in the cheap shops, ie Primark, TJ's etc., yes and charity shops, and are disposable items. So a lot of my stuff gets dumped before I come back as well.
What's the point in hanging on to a £2-3 t-shirt!!? Buy some more for next year, when you get back. Been doing it for years!!

george g...
I'd rather go the Primark route than take second hand underpants from a charity shop although I do very much approve of recycling. The principle of buying for your holiday then dumping is just a symptom of our throwaway society and a reason the world is running out of natural resources. So, basically I'm with Barny on this one.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:25:06 PM by Mike G »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 01:22:35 PM »
On the subject of re cycling, I wonder how they cope with the amount of plastic water bottles that are discarded in Plakias alone? and glass beer  bottles (thats bottles made of glass containing beer) is there a re cycling plant nearby?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »
On the subject of re cycling, I wonder how they cope with the amount of plastic water bottles that are discarded in Plakias alone? and glass beer  bottles (thats bottles made of glass containing beer) is there a re cycling plant nearby?

Barny.
Reps and others ought to be encouraging visitors to drink the excellent and safe tap water where properties have a direct mains feed. The advice not to drink it because of the minerals is rubbish (why do they think bottled water is also called mineral water?). I take my beer bottles back to the supermarket where they refund €0.10 and are re-used. I suspect tavernas and bars dump them but hope they recycle. Are there any recycling facilities on Crete?

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
I think they're called bins, Mike!!

george g...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »
How would you know if there was a direct mains feed? I drink it from the tap but its a long way to keep going back to fill my glass!! (sorry)  I remember years ago at certain restaurants if you ordered a bottle of water it would turn up and the seal was already "taken off for you!" we thought!!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 02:26:16 PM »
I can't say I've ever drunk the tap water in any quantity, but do clean the pegs and use it in the kettle, and I've never had any problem.
The trouble with water in any different country is that it will have different bacteria in it to what you're used to and if you are subseptible, one might feel a little 'tummy trouble' for a couple of days until you're used to it. There's nothing 'wrong' with it!!

We're drifting off again here!!

george g...