Author Topic: I have another question ...  (Read 6914 times)

Offline JulieB485

• MSN Messenger - Juliebotterill@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Juliebot
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Juliebot1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laceyandvanessa.homestead.com
    • Email
I have another question ...
« on: March 07, 2003, 10:55:20 PM »

I've asked about cats and dogs and insects - my next question is about ...... fish!!!

Are there many fish (in the sea)?

I love swimming and paddling but I have a bit of a "thing" about fish coming near me - can't go in if I see a fish - which I know is insane as they live in the sea and it's their home and they're more scared  of me than I am of them (allegedly) etc etc but I'm still fishphobic!
Is it a fishy sea?
(I don't mean far out - pretty close to shore!)

Is it seaweedy? (Not fond of that either!!!)
I know I am wuss of the decade  

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 12:33:25 PM »
Hi, barny here, at most times especially when the sea is calm there are many fish wriggling about close to the shore and they do tickle a bit if they touch your legs! seaweed no chance, the jellyfish eat it all! i picked one up once thinking it was a plastic bag, bit of a shock!  
Sometimes you can get goats on the beach, are you ok with them (do they bite?) there are also a pair of buzzards that fly around, they dont swoop on people too much so you should be ok.
so enjoy your stay, i know you will really!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline JulieB485

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 11:55:39 PM »
Thanks Barny- I think I will be keeping out of the sea then!
Goats I am OK with - even if they bite which they don't usually

Yuck re your jellyfish incident - was it incredibly painful?

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 09:59:39 AM »
It's true that if you are a 'far ender' you will see a few fish near the rocks and that's where the snorkel swimmers go to catch their lunch.  Away from the rocks I've never seen fish bigger than a couple of inches long so I wouldn't worry too much!  The winter storms bring seaweed up onto the beach but it is all cleared away for the season.  Again you will find some weed at the extreme eastern end of the beach under the cliffs.

Hey Barny where did you find your jellyfish!  I've seen them in other resorts but never in Plakias!

Regards,

Allan

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 10:23:25 AM »
Hello allan, hope your both well, yes it was a few years ago now, the "plastic bag" was about six foot out down the far end about four inches in diameter, i thought it was an alianthos carrier bag and went to get it out of the sea, then i realised! didnt get stung, i was too quick to get away!but as you say its very rare in that area, never seen one since, he must have been lost on the way home from ostraco or something!

might see you soon?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline ShirT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 11:17:23 PM »
I've been to Plakias several times and in May last year, I got stung by a jellyfish. It was after two very windy days and the water hadn't calmed down so it was quite murky. Not the calm, clear blue sea I am used to in Plakias. I was out on an "exercise" swim (you have to displace that scrummy olive oil somehow!) so I was not that close to the beach. I had some spectacular sting marks, probably not helped  by swimming from the end of the beach which I now know as "far end" from this board, and being suitably underdressed. Went back October last year and saw nothing although I had the full cozzie on, just in case , when going on more than a cool off session. Stick to the shallow bits jules numbers and just enjoy clear, clean water and the rest of Plakias. It's great!!

Offline JulieB485

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 05:56:08 PM »
These jellyfish sound yuck!
I will have to read up and look at pics of them before we go so I know what I need to be avoiding!!!

Does a jellyfish "attack" require hospital treatment?

Julie :"(

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 08:10:30 PM »
Hello all, Barny here, dont all panic about jellyfish! yes i saw one and only one in the fifteen years i have been going there!
On another note it might be fun to find out if anyone has any memories of plakias that they would rather forget? but still talk about if you know what i mean? perhaps john can set up another forum for "any bad news?"
a prize of some raki or mythos for the best story!
get thinking.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline ShirT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 10:18:07 PM »
I really don't want to put you off going into the sea at Plakias Julie, as it is one of the best things about being on holiday there. I got stung when the water was quite murky after a very windy spell and was not close to the shore.  Usually it is so clear that you would see a jellyfish miles away! In the unlikely event of getting stung, get vinegar or beer onto it, which I found out about later. Don't rub it while screaming your head off, which is what I did, as it spreads the poison. Better still, DON'T worry about jelly fish, get in that lovely water and have a great time.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 05:01:54 PM »
I can't ever remember seeing a jellyfish in the sea off Plakias!
I do love swimming around and watching the fishes though!

And Barny - your new forum is ready - Go to Ostraco's Bar, and you'll find 'Any Bad News' ready and waiting!
John - Ostraco

Offline hopper

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2003, 09:16:36 AM »
Hi everybody,
I have never had any troubles in 4 years (1975 - 1979) when I was there  for up to 1/2 year at a time and had many many many swims, in fact I almost lived in the sea. Here in Australia they use vinegar to treat jelly fish stings, it works, may be you can take some to  the beach.
But don't miss out in a swim in this clear pristine water of Krete, at least thats what it used to be. It is an experience. I love it.
Enjoy Hopper

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2003, 06:33:48 PM »
Always be prepared when you go to the beach! I guess you could pop across the road abd get some vinegar from Andonis or Palemgremnos.
By the way - the Greek for vinegar is pronounced 'see-thee'
John - Ostraco

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2003, 04:57:57 PM »
I think another good idea after getting the vinegar, would be to administer cold Mythos rapidly down the throat to avoid the onset of shock (well its a good excuse isn't it?) dont mix them up though !

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?