login

Author Topic: Reporting In  (Read 54127 times)

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »
Hi

The Gasparakis development is actually the development in Lefkoyia but they have the portabcabin in the Alianthos space for advertising.

The horse and cart is the big horse with smaller carriage, Nikos who had the other is back running his souvlaki place.

I didn't think that the Surf and Sail guys were hiring jet skis (may be wrong) but there is one of the local guys who used to do a lot of windsurfing who has recently bought a jet ski.

Ali

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 01:42:11 AM »
Quote from: George
That's good news Chas, was it the big horse or the small one?

george g...

We only saw the one horse and it was ... er ... well, horse sized

Jet-Skis -
Thankfully, we didn't see any ..... no reason for me to be arrested, being the reason for thanks

All day breakfast -
We sampled the Ostraco "simple breakfast (juice, croissant, toast, jam, yoghurt, honey, bread, fried egg and tea/coffee) .... it nearly took all day to plough through it
{We were also entertained by some clown in his fancy 20 metre cruiser trying to moor, stern on, in a fairly stiff breeze ... he gave up after the twentieth attempt (possibly because he got "buzzed" by the Palm Beach boats) and anchored in the middle of the bay; having to winch down the Zodiac to come ashore.} - It all adds to the rich tapestry
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
Quote from: compage
Quote from: Peter&Dawn
Quote from: compage
Quote from: Steve Jones
5) Windsurfing, sailing and jet skis from a company called Plakias Surfing Centre (or similar) who operate from a small patch of beach half way down. At the moment there are only a few takers and it is operating from a small base, but it is indication of how things may 'progress' in the next few years.
Oh dear.
It'll be 'dope on a rope' and 'bananas' next.
Better start looking for somewhere else to go.
Next thing it will be 'Full English breakfast all day' and 'Roast beef dinner'.

If the site regulars don't use the motorised facilities when they are in Plakias, then perhaps the lack of trade will move them on.
I don't think there is much chance of that.
Well, I hope there isn't.
What does everyone else think?
Are you going to hire a jet ski?
NO!!!
I've seen them operating in Gallini by idiots who think that they are the bee's knees. All they're doing is causing havok to all around them.

If they are going to operate, they need to be somewhere away from the swimmers, like the small harbour on the new road over the dragon.

george g...

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »
Please don't panic about jet skis.  Manolis who has the jet ski only uses late afternoon and way off shore, and is a responsible person.  They may be other Greeks who come down possibly at weekends but they are few and far between.

Ali

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Reporting In
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
When I was there in June, there were no sign of jet skis or any other powered watersports. There was a watersports outfit with wind surfers etc operating from the old Meltemi Club building - I thought the building had been bought by Alianthos to build a new hotel?

I DID see a horse and carriage, I think, but didn't see much of it.

I saw no jet ski's but DID also see the horse and carriage operating more regulary when the temperature cooled down a bit.

Greecemad

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2007, 01:24:18 PM »
Quote from: Ali & Dave
Please don't panic about jet skis.  Manolis who has the jet ski only uses late afternoon and way off shore, and is a responsible person.  They may be other Greeks who come down possibly at weekends but they are few and far between.

Ali
Thanks Ali, it's nice to hear from the locals who 'know' what's going on.

See you in a couple of weeks  

Hope the weather's not getting you guys down!

george g...

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2007, 08:02:30 AM »
Quote from: Ali & Dave

Ali

That's reassuring.
Thanks Ali.
John Page

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »
Well that was my two weeks! where did the time go?
In my opinion there is no major stuff going on at all that affected me or anyone due to be there soon. Very hot the first week up to 46deg in the shade at Antonis place, a little too warm for me but soon cooled off to normal temps.
Beach just as good as ever, food and drink just as good. Freddie just as mad!
Stayed at Stella studios, nice place quiet and away from any road noise! Would stay there again.
The new taxi service is very good "taxi for you" office is opposite ali and Daves, met me at airport and collected me to take me back to Heraklion! (i tried to resisst returning)
Kyma is getting very Czech orientated, Pavlos now speaks the lingo quite well i think? and we were treated to "tomorrow never dies" in Czech telly! amongst other things. I preferred to watch the sea.
Only bad memory was that one morning my bike would not start so took it to easy ride and its turns out that someone in the night had cut the fuel line and drained all the petrol!

I hope you all have as good a time as i did!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 10:21:06 AM »
You will know when the horse and carriage is getting near as the horse seems to have a shoe missing and instead of hearing "clip clop clip clop" you wil hear "clip clop clip thump" I think its the offside rear thats gone! And i like the little net under the horses tail for catching the you know what!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »
Quote from: Barny
You will know when the horse and carriage is getting near as the horse seems to have a shoe missing and instead of hearing "clip clop clip clop" you wil hear "clip clop clip thump" I think its the offside rear thats gone! And i like the little net under the horses tail for catching the you know what!

Barny.
Hi Barny, How was the airport regarding hand luggage is it still as bad? Alex G
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2007, 11:09:44 AM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G
...  How was the airport regarding hand luggage is it still as bad? Alex G
The same rules as applied to outgoing flights from the UK are mandatory for all flights into the UK.

However, we are talking about Greece, so application of the rules may not be quite so paranoid as in the UK ... best not to take chances, though.  You won't know how stringent things are until you've got through the check-in!

Flying out of Hania, last month, we could have taken almost anything but bottled water through  
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »
The rules don't seem to have changed much since last year:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/airt...ty/requirements

I don't have any problem with any of this security!

george g...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »
The airport was fine. Check in is slower as after you check your case in, you then have to take it yourself and put it through a scanner thing, this causes some delays but this meant I was only in the dep lounge for 30 minutes before the flight boarded! Hand baggage just does the normal thing! but obviously don't take fluids in the bag or on your person it's asking for trouble! I was glad that i didn't have to take my shoes off as i did at bhx, two weeks of no socks and sweaty feet i need say no more!!

Barny.     (now stuck in the medical room with no windows)
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Lut Azijn

• View Profile
Reporting In
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »
Hello everyone. We are  back from our first holiday in Plakias. Our oldest daughter visited last summer as well (in fact, she insisted we go there for our hols this year) but for the rest of us it was a first. We stayed at Kostas Chryssoula from 30 June until 14th July. I have not written sooner, because I could not face going on the forum and being reminded that it was all over, whilst many of you are still going out later this year. I must say that we had an absolutely fantastic time. It was hot, but not too hot. It was very windy many days, but it did not bother us that much. There were some days where you could not sit on the main beach, but then around the corner past the harbor, it usually blows less.

The hotel was just fine. They actually put us up at Christina appartments, and they were large. We had a 2 bedroom flat with our 2 youngest children. Our 2 teenage children had a studio flat next to ours. The owner of the supermarket below us was a friendly Englishman. (Forgot his name). Our favourite restaurant was Gio-Ma. We had some wonderful fish there. Other restaurants I would definitely recommend are Tasomanolis, Sirocco and Harakas. The worst meal we had was at Mouses and we did not really enjoy the food a the Panorama restaurant at Mirthios either. They were our only negative experiences though. All the other restaurants we visited were excellent and the food was very cheap indeed ! Our teenagers fell in love with the Ostraco bar and we had quite a few mojitos there ourselves.

The town and the beaches were not crowded at all, although it seemed to be picking up slightly towards the end of the second week. The local youngsters seemed to be happy with the arrival of our kids, because there had been mainly older people until we arrived !

I remember people talking about the German girls who rescue dogs and cats from Crete. Well, we did our bit for animal welfare as well. Some other Belgians staying at our hotel wanted to take a puppy home. It was tied up to an old boat behind the hotel somewhere. It belonged to an Albanian who beat it and did not give it any water and very little food. The family "rescued" it, but did not have the time to arrange for the dog to travel home with them. So they asked us to help. With the help of the German girls who arranged everything very efficiently for us, we took the doggie back to Belgium with us and delivered him to his new owner. He is happy and well and living in Mechelen.

All in all, a great holiday. We will definitely be back some time.

Lut & family

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
Quote from: Lut Azijn
I remember people talking about the German girls who rescue dogs and cats from Crete. Well, we did our bit for animal welfare as well. Some other Belgians staying at our hotel wanted to take a puppy home. It was tied up to an old boat behind the hotel somewhere. It belonged to an Albanian who beat it and did not give it any water and very little food. The family "rescued" it, but did not have the time to arrange for the dog to travel home with them. So they asked us to help. With the help of the German girls who arranged everything very efficiently for us, we took the doggie back to Belgium with us and delivered him to his new owner. He is happy and well and living in Mechelen.

All in all, a great holiday. We will definitely be back some time.

Lut & family
Hi Lut

Glad you had a good time, and hope to see you back there sometime.

Being a dog lover I was pleased to read the end of your report about the puppy.

Good on you Lut, thanks and I'm sure that the 'GAWF' will be very proud of you, a wonderful thing to do!    

george g...