Author Topic: Driving in Plakias  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Driving in Plakias
« on: April 01, 2006, 08:40:22 PM »
Because I sell cars for a living, and also enjoy s good drink I never hire a car on holiday, however due to old age ,aches &pains,etc a may have to hire one this year, as I have no intention of driving from the airport has anyone any suggestions of the best place to hire a car for a few days? Alex G
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Driving in Plakias
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 09:00:56 PM »
Because I sell cars for a living, and also enjoy s good drink I never hire a car on holiday, however due to old age ,aches &pains,etc a may have to hire one this year, as I have no intention of driving from the airport has anyone any suggestions of the best place to hire a car for a few days? Alex G
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have plenty of choice and I have been ringing the changes. I have had no problems with any company that I have used so my changing around has been at mere whims :-

I always used to go with Anso - Plakias - perfectly ok

Then for the last two years I went with Caravell - again perfectly ok - perhaps slightly more efficient at delivering a car than Anso but no big deal - no Plakias office of course.

This year I have booked with Alianthos. I like the look of their insurance - everything covered 100%., no excesses whatever the circumstances and even the underside of car, wheels and tyres covered. They also have a Plakias office.

Very little to choose from re prices but perhaps worth shopping around.

I suspect with all you will get a better deal booking in advance on the internet. None have ever asked to for any money in advance.

Hope the above helps.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Driving in Plakias
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 07:28:09 AM »
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
We got our car from Alianthos last year as well ande were very pleased with the car and service. We have always waited until we get there before booking for several reasons:
1 - it gives you greater flexibility to hire the car when it's convenient for what you want to do - some places might be busy or closed on particular days. The weather also plays a part - we've found it handy to hire a car at short notice to break up a few days when the wind has made the beach unbearable.
2 - We have found haggling useful - not just on price but on how early you can pick up the car, whether it needs to be returned in the evening or morning etc.
3 - It's nice have a look at the condition of the cars and select the size and sportiness     depending on your mood of the moment and what you're planning - Chania by main road might be fine in a small 1000cc car but you don't want to  be stuck with that if you change your plans and head for the hills  .

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Driving in Plakias
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »
Chania by main road might be fine in a small 1000cc car but you don't want to  be stuck with that if you change your plans and head for the hills  .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Never had any problems heading for the hills in our 1000cc cars. We don't drive on unmade roads (any distance of course) but find the small engine cars will cope with everything we have thrown at them. Your logic in waiting till you get there is sound. The Aliathos office in Plakias did tell us last year that their prices on the internet would be cheaper than what they could offer over the counter. However I imagine haggling off season may still produce results.

John R

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Driving in Plakias
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:26:09 PM »
This year I have booked with Alianthos. I like the look of their insurance - everything covered 100%., no excesses whatever the circumstances and even the underside of car, wheels and tyres covered. They also have a Plakias office.

...we hired a car with the discribed "full insurance" options at alianthos a few years ago. In fact we had to pay for the flat tyre about 90€. There was a little chapter in the contract which says that you only have to use the car on tarmaced roads and otherwise you will have to pay for any damages on tyres and the underside of the car. There are a lot of dirt tracks to the most beautiful places as shinaria e.g. and we don't need a car just to get to the far end of the Plakias bay... Lucky that we found the spare wheel in the back of the car and paid the bill with a grin.

Bon voyage!
shinaria

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Driving in Plakias
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 01:38:51 PM »
Quote from: shinaria,Apr 2 2006, 09:26 PM

...we hired a car with the discribed "full insurance" options at alianthos a few years ago. In fact we had to pay for the flat tyre about 90€. There was a little chapter in the contract which says that you only have to use the car on tarmaced roads and otherwise you will have to pay for any damages on tyres and the underside of the car. There are a lot of dirt tracks to the most beautiful places as shinaria e.g. and we don't need a car just to get to the far end of the Plakias bay... Lucky that we found the spare wheel in the back of the car and paid the bill with a grin.

Bon voyage!
shinaria
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you all for your help. regards Alex G
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.